...unless the Flash RAM reaches over 2 gigs (which, when compared to other BB's 64, 128 and 256MB, is highly unlikely). It will take RIM completely redesigning the memory architecture for the Storm to be competitive. I'm hoping since RIM is rewriting the book with the Storm, they replace the dated memory system. Does anyone have any details on it?

Complex programs with detailed graphics that take advantage of the beautiful screen will come in between 20MB - 200MB. If RIM keeps its current memory system, developers will have to resort to nearly completely text-based programs that let the screen go to waste.
    09-01-08 07:55 PM
    Okay...

I am sure RIM has thought of things like this... since they have been engineering, piloting and testing the device. They are well aware of how their hardware performs and what needs to be done to make it competitive

There are plenty of threads with speculation on the details of the Thunder's specs...
    09-01-08 07:57 PM
    Okay...

I am sure RIM has thought of things like this... since they have been engineering, piloting and testing the device. They are well aware of how their hardware performs and what needs to be done to make it competitive

There are plenty of threads with speculation on the details of the Thunder's specs...
    Although there is some validity in the OP's statement, these issues have been thought of and addressed. You must remember this isn't an Iphone. This is a Blackberry, completely different platform. I disagree with the statement that the device needs 2GB Flash to compete. This device will take a large part of the market share just the way it is.
    09-01-08 08:24 PM
    Although there is some validity in the OP's statement, these issues have been thought of and addressed. You must remember this isn't an Iphone. This is a Blackberry, completely different platform. I disagree with the statement that the device needs 2GB Flash to compete. This device will take a large part of the market share just the way it is.
    Is there any info leaked on how RIM addressed these issues or are we still waiting?

From the sound of your post, I think RIM hasn't changed anything but slightly increasing the Flash RAM. I'd estimate an increase to 512MB and say hello to predominantly text based and graphic-less programs on the Storm.
    09-01-08 08:33 PM
    Is there any info leaked on how RIM addressed these issues or are we still waiting?

From the sound of your post, I think RIM hasn't changed anything but slightly increasing the Flash RAM. I'd estimate an increase to 512MB and say hello to predominantly text based and graphic-less programs on the Storm.
    I'm not quite sure as to what you're getting at. Do you honestly think this issue has NOT been addressed? What exactly are you trying to compare this device to? You know Blackberry isn't for everyone, but your statement about the amount of Flash needed just isn't true and completely distorts this entire thread.
    I'm not going to tell you what the avail Flash is, so I guess wait and see and if you don't like it don't buy it.
    09-01-08 08:49 PM
    I'm not quite sure as to what you're getting at. Do you honestly think this issue has NOT been addressed? What exactly are you trying to compare this device to? You know Blackberry isn't for everyone, but your statement about the amount of Flash needed just isn't true and completely distorts this entire thread.
    I'm not going to tell you what the avail Flash is, so I guess wait and see and if you don't like it don't buy it.
    Not trying to compare the device to anything, especially since we don't have all the facts. I just want the device to be perfect; in my mind perfect is taking the best features of the Blackberry Bold and merging it with the best features of the iPhone. I think it'd be such a shame if the programs had limited space to work with when it came to such a beautiful screen. As someone who has programmed for similar devices, I think the current Blackberry architecture is insufficient to take full advantage of the screen on the Storm and am hoping for something different.
    09-02-08 12:38 AM
    Expect the Thunder to have a similar proc to the Bold, with either 128MB or 256MB of memory onboard for OS/Apps. The phone will come with 8GB MicroSD for storage of media. I'm not going to hold my breath that RIM actually redesigned the OS enough in 4.7 to remove the memory limitation its had in previous OSs.
    09-03-08 07:14 AM
    I have to agree with that too. A leap in architecture that big would probably go to 5.x software.
    09-03-08 12:45 PM
    Expect the Thunder to have a similar proc to the Bold, with either 128MB or 256MB of memory onboard for OS/Apps. The phone will come with 8GB MicroSD for storage of media. I'm not going to hold my breath that RIM actually redesigned the OS enough in 4.7 to remove the memory limitation its had in previous OSs.
    I would be disappointed if this was the case, but I believe you're right in that there won't be any drastic changes. A good solution would keep the current architechure forcing the core of the programs to be installed on the Flash RAM, but allow the programs to store and access graphics, sounds and other high memory data from the miniSD.
    09-03-08 01:41 PM
    While I agree that it may seem dated, RIM is just breaking into the consumer scene, but all in all it is still catering to its Business market. The interface, the programs, alot of the stuff I use on my basic pearl all work well for me. I dont want 5 mb programs, don't need them, it's just a ton of fluff for the most part that really isnt needed. Just my 2 cents, most BB owners seem to be content, not saying I wouldnt LOVE more, but saying I can deal, I am already in Love, that would be just like a new wedding all over again or something, cool, but not necassary to keep me around, ;D
    09-04-08 04:28 PM
    While I agree that it may seem dated, RIM is just breaking into the consumer scene, but all in all it is still catering to its Business market. The interface, the programs, alot of the stuff I use on my basic pearl all work well for me. I dont want 5 mb programs, don't need them, it's just a ton of fluff for the most part that really isnt needed. Just my 2 cents, most BB owners seem to be content, not saying I wouldnt LOVE more, but saying I can deal, I am already in Love, that would be just like a new wedding all over again or something, cool, but not necassary to keep me around, ;D
    I couldn't agree more. And I mean with all that you posted. RIM always has and always will continue to target corporate users. I wouldn't leave my bread and butter out to dry. Part of what makes Blackberry Blackberry, is the simple no nonsense straight down to business UI. It's not as flashy as the Iphone or other devices, but it works. 90% of Blackberry users will NEVER use 5MB programs. To continue, RIM is fully aware that this is their first device aimed at the multi-media segment of the market, and accordingly, steps have been taken fulfill that need. But keep in mind those needs have to be combined with what has made the company successful. So like I've said before, this UI is completely different from any previous build, but it is still Blackberry. So no I don't agree that the 95xx has to have 2GB of flash in order for this device to be successful. It's a balancing act.
    09-04-08 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD