Hi everyone,
    I just got my storm yesterday from a family member who I'm sure got it from somewhere else. I'm totally new and clueless to this whole blackberry thing. To be honest I don't even know right now if I have the 9500 or 9530.
    The storm I have now is unlocked. I am using T-mobile. My previous phone was just a regular one (not a smart phone or the like). I have a lot of questions if you guys can help me out that would be great.
    1. How do I change "my number" ? It still displays what I believe is the previous owner's number (I called him and he told me to go to this forum for questions).
    2. How do I know what system I currently have?
    3. I want to add a data plan so I can check my email and access internet on my storm. Is that possible? How would I do that? Would I need to contact T-Mobile? Would they let you add a blackberry data plan to an unlocked phone?
    4. What is "pull the battery"? How do I do that?

uhm... that's about all I can think of right now. All replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
    04-22-09 01:21 PM
    Well, your number should of changed when you activated it on your tmobile account, I do not believe there is a way to change the number in the phone itself.
    2. To find out what system you have go to options>about, it will tell you there.
    3. Just call T-mobile and say you have a blackberry and you want to add a data plan to it. For all they know you could have a curve.
    4. A battery pull is taking the battery out while the phone is still on, thus causing a hard reset. It frees up memory and helps if it freezes.

But other than that, if you have any questions just let us know we will be glad to help. Also, welcome!
    04-22-09 01:32 PM
    Answers above are great

As for #1, you can talk to T-Mobile / take it to one of their stores and they can do it, or pull up the dial pad and dial ##000000 - There will be two places for the phone number. (This should have been done during activation...)

Welcome to CB and the BlackBerry world in general
    04-22-09 01:35 PM
    Sorry, I didn't think there was a way to change the number from the phone. My bad lol Thanks for correcting me though.
    04-22-09 01:38 PM
    @weedr: Thank you so much for the info. Learning the terms slowly now lol. No worries about the change my number thing. So I found out my device is actually 9530 and not 9500, but still cannot identify what system I have. It says "v4.7.0.75(Platform 4.0.0.94)" Is that the current system there?

@pi_admin: thank you for the tip. I did it. It worked. So awesome. Now I can really believe it's MY phone hehehe. By activation, did you mean when the phone was first turned on? I got mine already unlocked. I just put my sim card in and use it.
    04-22-09 04:50 PM
    Another quick question. If I call t-mobile and they ask me what device I have, should I tell them I have the unlocked version of the storm or just say I have a pearl for a curve? Do they have to do some kind of setup on the phone?
    04-22-09 04:52 PM
    Another quick question. If I call t-mobile and they ask me what device I have, should I tell them I have the unlocked version of the storm or just say I have a pearl for a curve? Do they have to do some kind of setup on the phone?
    I don't think that it should matter, but I could be wrong.
    04-22-09 04:55 PM
    @bearkat: Thanks for the prompt response. So they wouldn't care if we are using their phone or not right? I just haven't done anything like this before so I'm a little unsure and nervous, lol.
    04-22-09 05:04 PM
    I would just say that you have a "blackberry". They don't need to know what kind lol
    And yes, .75 is the current system out. But, you can always upgrade to a leaked OS like .122 from your friends at Crackberry!!
    Last edited by weedr; 04-22-09 at 06:03 PM. Reason: More info
    04-22-09 06:02 PM
    Cool. Thanks a lot. I went in a TMobile store today and the sales rep guy did everything for me. I now have internet on my storm. So awesome.
    Would you mind explaining to me what "Service books" are please? I've seen that term quite a few time on here but clueless as to what it really is. Thanks.
    04-23-09 01:17 AM
    service books are just the small data packets that tell the storm how to behave with each program on the phone. Think of the phone like a computer, it truly is a computer, not a phone...it just happens to make phone calls. If you think of it as a computer, then the service books are just the communication protocols that tell the phone how to communicate between the data network and each program on the phone.

When one of the service books isn't working correctly, you can delete it...then the next time the phone starts up it will go to the network and ask for a new service book because the old one is gone. It will then have the proper information on how to communicate and will work properly.

I know this isn't all that technical an explanation, but hopefully it helps you to understand it better. Again, the key is to see your storm as a computer, not a cell phone.
    04-23-09 01:36 AM
    service books are just the small data packets that tell the storm how to behave with each program on the phone. Think of the phone like a computer, it truly is a computer, not a phone...it just happens to make phone calls. If you think of it as a computer, then the service books are just the communication protocols that tell the phone how to communicate between the data network and each program on the phone.

When one of the service books isn't working correctly, you can delete it...then the next time the phone starts up it will go to the network and ask for a new service book because the old one is gone. It will then have the proper information on how to communicate and will work properly.

I know this isn't all that technical an explanation, but hopefully it helps you to understand it better. Again, the key is to see your storm as a computer, not a cell phone.
    Well... even an old Nokia brick phone is a computer haha, but yes, good info.
    04-23-09 02:46 AM
    OH and welcome to the BlackBerry and CrackBerry community
    04-23-09 02:46 AM
    Welcome to cb
    04-23-09 02:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD