Delete Verizon Navigator. I have been told by a friend who works for a consulting firm that did some testing for the device in October (which by the way, had advised Verizon/BB not to release the phone until mid-December) to delete the Verizon Navigator program. Long story short (and trust me, it was a long story when he explained it to me)...this is the program that software engineers are having difficulty with. I deleted it from my Storm and it now runs beautifully! Given, it still has about a 1 - 1.5 second lag with the accelerometer. Be advised that once you delete the Navigator program it will take the phone about 2-4 minutes to reboot...then he recommended doing a battery pull...worked great! Plus, once Navigator is "fixed" it can be downloaded easily to the phone...OTA.
    11-24-08 10:48 AM
    Can someone provide proof other than "a friend told me" that this works? I am not singling you out MJ... but I dont see how VZ NAV can effect the Storm when its not running.

I order for this to be true, VZ NAV must be always running in the background when the phone is turned on. I dont think that is the case. If it is... can someone verify that it is?
    11-24-08 10:54 AM
    its true. there is another thread about this with plenty of people who can testify
    11-24-08 10:56 AM
    Thanks for the info, but its been posted in several threads already.
    11-24-08 10:56 AM
    Sorry I can't provide more proof. It is definitely worth a try though...like I said worst case if it doesn't improve your speed/functionality then just download it back to the Storm OTA...takes under 1 minute to download and install back to the device.
    Trust me, you will see a BIG difference.
    11-24-08 10:58 AM
    Sorry I can't provide more proof. It is definitely worth a try though...like I said worst case if it doesn't improve your speed/functionality then just download it back to the Storm OTA...takes under 1 minute to download and install back to the device.
    Trust me, you will see a BIG difference.
    I will give it a try... its just that I would like a precise reason why it works rather than "it just does".
    11-24-08 11:01 AM
    Can someone provide proof other than "a friend told me" that this works? I am not singling you out MJ... but I dont see how VZ NAV can effect the Storm when its not running.

I order for this to be true, VZ NAV must be always running in the background when the phone is turned on. I dont think that is the case. If it is... can someone verify that it is?
    Why not try it yourself? unless you don't have one yet? It is very simple to reinstall if you change your mind.
    11-24-08 11:02 AM
    I can bull**** an answer for you kilofox--- Verizon requires loading of all their proprietary software even when its not in use, so the phones already limited memory is being taken up by a program that you may or may not be using at any given time.
    11-24-08 11:04 AM
    Exactly...and I don't want to appear like I am some robust BB software engineer...just some information that I am passing along that I hope will help those that are experiencing some pretty significant user issues...at least until the update is here.
    11-24-08 11:04 AM
    Sorry. I don't buy this at all. I unloaded VZ Nav and guess what? No difference whatsoever. However, I never saw the issues people were complaining about anyway (touch screen issues, accelerometer issues, etc.) Mine behaved the same both with and without VZ Nav - just fine. Try it for yourself. For me it made no discernable difference.
    11-24-08 11:09 AM
    this does work. it was the first thing i deleted!
    11-24-08 11:13 AM
    Also Optimizing memory on the Storm is no different than any other BlackBerry device. It frees up memory, and adds a little speed.
    11-24-08 11:16 AM
    It seems to have made mine a little faster. I wasn't experiencing any problems to begin with, maybe a lag here and there, but this seems to have solved it.
    11-24-08 11:16 AM
    I am not seeing a difference myself.

I uninstalled NAV, pulled the battery, checked Application Memory and got 41.6MB Free.

Installed NAV, pulled the battery, checked Application Memory and got 38.9MB Free.

Ran NAV, checked Application Memory and got 38.8MB Free.
    11-24-08 11:27 AM
    i just tried this, and it seems to have made mine slower. I deleted the app, it automatically re-booted. it seemed a bit slower, and so i did a battery pull, and it still seems slower. i was fairly happy with the speed/functionality beforehand, but figured that i would delete it given the recommendations. anyone else have this experience? anyone have any recommendations?
    11-24-08 11:29 AM
    Sorry. I don't buy this at all. I unloaded VZ Nav and guess what? No difference whatsoever. However, I never saw the issues people were complaining about anyway (touch screen issues, accelerometer issues, etc.) Mine behaved the same both with and without VZ Nav - just fine. Try it for yourself. For me it made no discernable difference.
    Same here...no difference but no issues to start with.
    11-24-08 11:29 AM
    I didn't see any difference.
    I hope they come out with the update before I get hit with the $35 re-stocking fee.
    11-24-08 11:57 AM
    Also Optimizing memory on the Storm is no different than any other BlackBerry device. It frees up memory, and adds a little speed.
    How does one go about this?
    11-24-08 12:01 PM
    Same i didn't notice a big difference
    11-24-08 12:01 PM
    Are some of you guys uninstalling it correctly? it should restart EACH time you uninstall a app. So, uninstall VZ navigator, restart. If you didn't get the restart you didn't uninstall, all you did was remove the icon from the menu. Wasn't there another thread like this already? NEWBIES should check the sticky! "ULTIMATE tips/tricks thread, it'll help you with your Storm experience.
    11-24-08 12:13 PM
    Also, here is a small but obvious recommendation....if you are not experiencing any of the posted issues, then don't do this...duh!
    11-24-08 12:16 PM
    I did it, it does seem somewhat more reponsive in speed.
    11-24-08 12:16 PM
    I uninstalled Nav as soon as I got out of the store on Friday morning.
    11-24-08 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD