Anyone else have a feeling of dread while using the Storm upon the slow realization that it sucks? Take it back to Verizon now. If you don't, the Storm - or whatever touch screen phone comes next - will never be a real Blackberry.

I've owned about 5 Blackberry phones, before that I had Treo's - I stopped using a Curve and went to an iPhone for the last 90 days. Either AT&T sucks - phone wise, or the iPhone sucks as a phone - dropped calls CONSTANTLY, even after the 2.2 update last Friday, so I jumped on the Storm bandwagon and got mine by Fed-ex on Tuesday. What a disappointment. It goes BACK on Friday.

After using the Storm for two days it's a JOKE - I mean really, I WANTED to like this phone. Really. I WANTED a touchscreen Blackberry. I believed the advertisements. I thought the iPhone was pure hype....but really.....The Storm is....well, an ill conceived amateur effort that does not live up to the Blackberry name, and while the iPhone has been hyped a great deal, it really is a good tool.

My short list:

1) My face constantly mutes calls or pushes other buttons on the screen - did RIM not USE the phone before putting out to market? Did they not look at an iPhone and see the need to disable the buttons during a normal phone call?

2) Delays and lags when answering the phone. Don't even try and click the screen to answer a call if you are moving the phone even a little. (I know, just push the real phone button.)

3) The click screen is a nice gimmick - maybe useful to LEARN to use the phone, but really it is not a natural way to type. (My jailbroken iPhone had a nice program that caused a slight vibration when I typed. It was all I needed to be an expert typist. The Storm is just a PAIN to type on.)

4) Is it Verizon or is it the Storm - but CONFERENCE CALLING SUCKS on this phone. In order to conference call, YOU have to call the second person. If you have two incoming calls you can't set up a conference. This is LAME.

5) If a contact calls you from a new phone number, it's a CHORE to add a new number to an existing contact.

6) The placement of the power plug is seriously a pain. You can't charge the phone while leaving it in its case. It's hard to make a phone call with the power plug in place.

7) The same goes for the headset jack. You can't plug in and throw it into a shirt pocket - while I guess it's ok for carrying around in a pouch on a belt.

8) The browser controls - on screen - suck. Too many clicks just to GO BACK to the prior page.

9) Delays when you turn it on its side. Not every program will turn. (Yea, neither will the iPhone.)

9) No WIFI. Give me a break.

10) Read the manual - Verizon has disabled all sorts of features and menu items that RIM put in the phone.

11) Add to that Verizon charging $3.00 a month to use a voice mail feature built INTO the phone, that places ZERO use of Verizon resources, and $10 a month to use the GPS again built into the phone and does not use Verizon resources.

EDITED: 12) While Blackberry is known for email, RIM could learn a LOT about the way the iPhone handles IMAP email. Folders and everything stay merged. Review email while in the field, and once you are back at the office, once your computer deletes the email from the server - they DISAPPEAR from the iPhone. No need to sit there and delete each one individually off the phone. Yes, I know the iPhone does not have a true PUSH in most cases - but the iPhone email interface is a LOT better than the Storm, or any other Blackberry I've used.

Oh well - I give up. I'm sure there's more. Be honest - this phone sucks. If you don't return it now, they'll never fix it.

So - sure, RIM will issue an update and fix some of the OS issues - but they cannot fix the lack of a face sensor. They can't fix the placement of the plugs. They can't fix the hundreds of phones that will be returned in the next few weeks before the Verizon 30 day return period expires.
    Last edited by jcarlosfox; 11-28-08 at 01:02 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention IMAP
    11-28-08 12:33 AM
    Good points. My question is, why are some phones horrible and other phones are flawless?

Its almost like you need to return and return until you get a good one lol
    11-28-08 12:35 AM
    9-11 are standard for all blackberry devices on Verizon, and I agree it sucks. But I bought one through them anyway.
    11-28-08 12:36 AM
    Good luck. Sorry you got a bad phone. As many threads have proven, there are quite a few good Storms out there. I have 2 of them Just lucky I guess.
    11-28-08 12:42 AM
    You can fix the face sensor
    They did an upgrade for my voyager for that...
    It should be in a new update, that will lock the screen until touched or clicked

Seems like your looking for a perfect phone..
    Keeep to your iphonee
    11-28-08 12:58 AM
    lol.. perfect phone dosent exist ... tho the storm is close. lol.
    11-28-08 01:00 AM
    What's with people saying that they click things with there face do people really jam a cell phone into there face like that? When I talk on any phone the only part that touches is my ear to the ear piece you don't need to swallow the mic

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 01:05 AM
    Seems like your looking for a perfect phone..
    Keeep to your iphonee
    Well, yes, I'd love the perfect phone....but the iPhone is far from perfect. It's a great device - but fails as a P H O N E - so, the search continues, maybe a Bold - maybe not. I'm hoping RIM reads the forums and gets some ideas on how to build a better phone. Some people appear to really like the Storm - I just don't get it.
    11-28-08 01:14 AM
    What's with people saying that they click things with there face do people really jam a cell phone into there face like that? When I talk on any phone the only part that touches is my ear to the ear piece you don't need to swallow the mic
    I agree completely. As for number 8 on the list, "The browser controls - on screen - suck. Too many clicks just to GO BACK to the prior page." I don't see how hitting the back button is too many clicks.
    11-28-08 01:17 AM
    ^^^ yes... the backbutton is one of the most useful buttons on a bb...
    11-28-08 01:23 AM
    Some people appear to really like the Storm - I just don't get it.
    Im one of those people. I have had the phone going on 2 days now and I hafta say, its one of the best devices I have ever owned! I dont have a lot of these problems that certain people are complaining of honestly. My only issue I have is the screen edge in the middle is very hard to click...the side where the main 4 buttons are, the other side actually clicks a lot better. Im trying out the battery fix though to see if that fairs any better for me. Either way, when there is an abundant stock of phones, I will have them replace this with a brand new unit, not a refurb once the issue with the screen is resolved.
    11-28-08 01:32 AM
    ^^^ yes... the backbutton is one of the most useful buttons on a bb...
    My bad - you are absolutely correct. You forget a lot in 90 days, so I was going back using the menu button.
    11-28-08 01:38 AM
    even though i like the storm, you do make a couple good points, others i dont agree with, here we go:

#1: i know it sucks! to the people who dont understand, its those of us that shoulder the phone. its impossible to do unless you shoulder the phone. does the phone even have a proximity sensor? if not, it will never be fixed right.

#2: with the exception of the last callerid info showing up for a second when the phone rings, i dont have this issue.

#3: this is preference i guess. i assume down the road they will make it so you can use the keyboard without clicking by changing a setting. but that is just an assumption.

#4: i think the inability to bridge 2 active calls is a verizon thing, none of my verizon phones have done this.

#5: havent tried it, but hope your wrong i do this alot.

#6: its the same place as my last phone, doesnt bother me, preference i guess.

#7: again, preference i guess

#8: i am still deciding on the browser, but opera mini refined should help too.

#9: mine does a little sometimes, but, this should be fixed soon i would think. its complained about the most.

#9 (2?): wifi? who cares?! thats my opinion, i bought a phone for its 3g network, if i wanted wifi, i would just use my pda, which i never did. i think wifi on a 3g phone is pointless personally, with the small exception of transfering stuff to the phone, which probabluy can be done with bluetooth. maybe cause where i live its like 99% 3G, but i dont know. this wifi thing is the biggest thing in all the bad reviews, thats why i am a little sensitive on it.

10: i didnt read anything about this in the manual.

11: i dont use visual voicemail, but it does use their service i believe, they need servers to handle this. plus they are paying licensing fees now that the court case was settled. plus this is phone un-related.

Also the GPS appears to be unlocked, i used it today in BB maps and it showed me driving down the road with speed and everything with like 9 satelite lock (not agps)

12: i use BES so i cant comment on Imap use.
    11-28-08 02:29 AM
    Wow, just sounds like you are the type who doesn't like anything. Many of these complaints are pathetic.
    Too bad you don't like it, but I can't say I'd ever want to read another whiny post like that again

11-28-08 03:15 AM
    if you have that many problems with it then you either have a faulty model, or just wait for an update to truly judge it, because there are plenty of official reviews that also attack the storm with decently good points (I think a lot of can agree that the phone was released to early, but most of us are optimistic for the OS upgrades). The only problem I had with the phone was the screen clickability, but after adding two business cards on top of the battery, walaa--decent device in my hands!
    11-28-08 03:31 AM
    @jcarlos --- sounds like you need to go back to the iphone. All of the positive things you listed about the iphone seem to matter a great deal to you and that looks to be your path of least resistance. Now go and find that perfect (i)phone for you.
    11-28-08 05:54 AM
    The disconnecting a call with your face is a royal pain in the arse, either that or you end up muting them. Other than that I think its great.
    11-28-08 06:11 AM
    I agree that the phone may have been released prematurely however many software issues can be addressed with software updates or 3rd party apps. Anything related
    to hardware I feel is a valid concern though since those typically can't be fixed. I would say that returning it now and waiting for a substantial update may serve you best.

11-28-08 06:19 AM

Right...I mean are they trying to eat the phone.
    11-28-08 06:39 AM
    No, not trying to eat it. Trying to do something else like make a note while talking and putting it on my shoulder while doing so. That's when it happens. It's a pain, but I think only because that's what I'm used to doing with other phones. Once I adjust my habits a bit, it will be fine.
    11-28-08 07:44 AM
    #12 - Click the BB menu button and select "delete prior". It will delete all the messages so you don't have to delete each one individually.
    11-28-08 07:50 AM
    And how many updates have they already released for the iPhone? Give RIM that many updates and all will be well.

11-28-08 08:13 AM
    I think that they should make a hybrid type pf phone. Something like the 8830 or curve in appearance but with a touchscreen as well. I think that a phone like that would sell better than the iphone or the storm.

11-28-08 08:20 AM
    Honestly,
    some folks are just Apple fanboys even if they try their darndest not to be. I won't address every issue here, but I will mention that my son has an iPod touch and I don't envy the wifi in his gadget in the least.

Also, i'm typing this on my Storm, and while I don't think any virtual keyboard can equal a physical one, this one works fine thank you very much. Any virtual keyboard is a compromise to get that big, beautiful screen that's so sweet for everything *but* typing email.
    --bg

11-28-08 08:38 AM
    what I've been disappointed with is some of the fanboyism of this site. The tech gurus almost universally rejected the phone, or at the least found it to be sub-par, including a number of Crackberry Addicts like myself.

Instead, we have a sizable number of users trumpeting an objectively mediocore device. It's a shame, really.
    11-28-08 08:44 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD