Hello,

I have activated my Blackberry Storm on our companies BES Server. If I load the latest leaked os onto my blackberry will I have to reactivate my blackberry on the BES Server or will it keep the settings?

Thank You.
    04-16-09 07:54 AM
    If you have the DM configured properly, no you wouldn't. But I doubt you would want to update to unreleased device software at work, so odds are yes you'll have to re-activate. No big deal, upgrade the device, and then call your Network Admin and ask for the password.
    04-16-09 08:02 AM
    If you have the DM configured properly, no you wouldn't. But I doubt you would want to update to unreleased device software at work, so odds are yes you'll have to re-activate. No big deal, upgrade the device, and then call your Network Admin and ask for the password.
    Upgradeing at work is not a prblem, I would rather not have to contact IS for the password as they are slow and have no idea what they are doing.

How can I tell if my DM is configured properly or not? And what steps should I take to make sure I won't have to reactivate.

Thank You for your quick response, I appreacate it.
    04-16-09 08:17 AM
    If you are using a version that makes you install via the loader.exe then you WILL have to re-activate on BES. If you can use DM then you "SHOULD" be fine.
    04-16-09 08:55 AM
    Upgradeing at work is not a prblem, I would rather not have to contact IS for the password as they are slow and have no idea what they are doing.

How can I tell if my DM is configured properly or not? And what steps should I take to make sure I won't have to reactivate.

Thank You for your quick response, I appreacate it.

When you open DM does it show server "online" along the bottom where it shows the PIN of the device connected? If it does, you're all set, if it doesn't, reinstall and have it setup for work email.
    04-16-09 08:57 AM
    I've done 7 upgrades - am now on .114. My experience is if I use DM and am online and Outlook is open when I upgrade no problem with BES. I've even been successful when backing up and using loader.exe. The only time BES has not activated is when I did a total wipe and the upgrade file was corrupt.

The beauty of a blackberry is it's indestructible from an OS point of view - with network admin passwords and jlcmd you can upgrade leaks to your hearts content with absolutely no worry of losing data!
    04-16-09 09:04 AM
    If you are using a version that makes you install via the loader.exe then you WILL have to re-activate on BES. If you can use DM then you "SHOULD" be fine.
    Not necessarily true. I generally update through loader.exe, then once the phone has rebooted and is ready, I open DM. Once that happens (assuming DM is online), the phone will automatically re-activate on BES.
    04-16-09 09:08 AM
    Yea, the .113 version i downloaded uses the DM to install. When I go into DM I can see the stats of all e-mail messages that was sent to and from my blackberry from the BES Server.

Next to status is says (CDN_PRI_ACT) Running

and then shows how many forwarded, sent, pending, expired, and filtered messages. and also shows the last time my BB was synced with the BES Server.

So I'm hoping this means that my DM is set up correctly.
    04-16-09 09:11 AM
    Frenchie,
    I have updated at least 8 times to beta, hybrid & pre-release software. Desktop manager will re-activate the enterprise BES connection for you. I did delete & re-activate a couple times myself and it's a nightmare. Duplicate calendar & contacts & generally a pain in the ****.

Be patient and let DM re-activate.
    04-16-09 09:14 AM
    Not necessarily true. I generally update through loader.exe, then once the phone has rebooted and is ready, I open DM. Once that happens (assuming DM is online), the phone will automatically re-activate on BES.
    Yes as long as when you upgrade your device, you are connected to your company network, either directly or through a VPN. Enterprise Activation must be done after an upgrade, an it starts automatically if you are connected to your network.
    04-16-09 09:18 AM
    Well I would just like to thank everyone here who provided some input to my question, I really appreacate it.

This is what happened.

1. Downloaded the .113 file off the internet
    2. ran the .exe on my pc (Work computer directly connected to work network)
    3. Opened DM and dissconnected my network card.
    4. Connected my Blackberry
    5. Went to applications and clicked update.
    6. Accepted the list of updates to install
    7. Blackberry rebooted a few times I believe.
    8. I looked at my creen and it was at 77% Activation ( I belive this was the enterprise activation (Network card was still unpluged)
    9. Activation Complete screen poped up.
    10. Everything complete no issues occured, BES connection still working perfect.

Everything went perfectally smooth, and hopefully this thread can help out anyone else who is in the same shoes at I am.
    04-16-09 10:12 AM
    I've had to reactivate each time I upgraded, whether to official .75 or to leaked versions thereafter.
    BUT I was never directly connected to my network. I always updated via DM from home.
    Last edited by jayhammy; 04-16-09 at 11:24 AM. Reason: needed more info
    04-16-09 11:20 AM
    I would be able to execute the loader from my local (home) computer while logged in to work via a VPN; I don't have admin privileges at work (no shock) so I can't run random executables from my work desktop.

Will BES still automatically reload if I run the loader on my local machine while connected to my work over a Citrix VPN, and will I need a password in any case?
    04-24-09 07:27 AM
    Last night I did my an update from .75 to .132 I was connected with my company VPN so that in the Desktop Manager the Server Status was Online.

When the install was all finished the BES Activation started.

EDIT: My storm was connected via USB the whole time.
    04-24-09 08:49 AM
    Last night I did my an update from .75 to .132 I was connected with my company VPN so that in the Desktop Manager the Server Status was Online.

When the install was all finished the BES Activation started.

EDIT: My storm was connected via USB the whole time.
    Yep, if DM is loaded in Enterprise mode (when you install it) and you're online with the PC/Laptop you're running the upgrade on (i.e. connected to work network via VPN or locally) the BES activation will autostart right after the upgrade and you won't need a password. You only need the password if DM and the BB cannot see the BES server on the local network (yes, VPN counts as a "local network connection" per say).
    04-24-09 04:10 PM
    Yep, if DM is loaded in Enterprise mode (when you install it) and you're online with the PC/Laptop you're running the upgrade on (i.e. connected to work network via VPN or locally) the BES activation will autostart right after the upgrade and you won't need a password. You only need the password if DM and the BB cannot see the BES server on the local network (yes, VPN counts as a "local network connection" per say).
    Is there an easy way to tell if DM is loaded in Enterprise Mode? I've had to call IT every time I've updated and he has to reset my activation - when he does it, he tells me that it's only good for 48 hours? I'm hesitant to upgrade to 132 if I have to call him again because he's starting to suspect something. Not sure if he cares or not about me installing leaked os.
    04-24-09 04:32 PM
    TTJT

pretty much the same with me...wished it was just a matter of entering my email address & password as in Enterprise Activation on BB, but I can't get around having to call my I.T. people to get activation....

always deal with the same person who explains that they have to delete me and then re-enter me each time....doesn't seem to make sense to me....

I don't even think that using DM on my work computer will work for me....first would have to get clearance from them to install....even after I don't think I could do the OS update without involving "Miss Sunshine"....kind of a weird I.T. policy regarding Blackberries where I work....
    04-24-09 05:13 PM
    Is there an easy way to tell if DM is loaded in Enterprise Mode? I've had to call IT every time I've updated and he has to reset my activation - when he does it, he tells me that it's only good for 48 hours? I'm hesitant to upgrade to 132 if I have to call him again because he's starting to suspect something. Not sure if he cares or not about me installing leaked os.
    When you start Desktop Manager it should give you a message that says "Connecting to Messaging System" on my computer it usually takes a few seconds to make the connection.
    04-24-09 05:36 PM
    Thanks for the information.

In my case, even with the VPN up and Outlook open with it's menu bar highlighted, the server status shows as "unavailable." I've tried re-installing DM (set, as before, to BES with MES) and it hsn't made any difference. I have also tried running the Citrix (VPN) window in both full screen and window mode -- no difference.

I am running Vista x64 (home premium) as the OS that shipped with the computer; there's no difference whether DM is run as or not as an administator.

It would not surprise me if my work IT policies restrict these matters (my firm runs in a highly locked-down mode in all respects -- we can't write to thumb-drives, they've turned off most users' CD/DVD drives, etc.). We ae also running Outlook (Office) 2003.

Any suggestions on other things I could try would be welcome.

I note also that a right-click on the Citrix menu bar shows "PDA Security Status" as grayed-out (in contrast to the file, audio, and scanner menu items). These menu items are used to enable the server to have acces to the client (local) file system, audio gear, and scanners.
    Last edited by mattzisk; 04-25-09 at 06:43 AM. Reason: more information
    04-25-09 06:35 AM
    Citrix is not VPN Matt. It's just remote desktop connectivity. Not the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 09:30 AM
    Citrix is not VPN Matt. It's just remote desktop connectivity. Not the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Citrix provide many products, one of which is a full VPN client / server.
    04-25-09 09:55 AM
    When I upgraded to .113 I had to have our administrators reset my password. .122 handled it without. When upgrading to .132 - Reset needed. Another odd BES experience was that the BES Sync took hours and three "mandatory reboots". Had not had that on any of my BBs.
    04-25-09 10:02 AM
    Thinking into the future, when Versizon finally releases an official OS, if we do the upgrade OTA, should BES re-actication be needed?
    04-25-09 10:07 AM
    Thinking into the future, when Versizon finally releases an official OS, if we do the upgrade OTA, should BES re-actication be needed?
    When I upgraded OTA to .75, my IT dept. had to re-register me, so I was careful to do it during work hours (they'd have preferred to do it themselves, mind you) -- you'll lose email services between upgrade and registration.
    04-25-09 04:52 PM
    I am on BES using Lotus Notes (and I use the DM), and it is my experience that with each upgrade, all I have to do is connect to DM after a battery pull, and it automatically initiates the enterprise activation without prompting for a password.
    04-25-09 09:34 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD