I know other posts exist on this topic but I wanted to give an opinion (who doesn't with this phone!)

Yes... the Storm has issues but having owned both the iphone and iphone 3G and going through Apples 2.0 software release this is nothing. On At&t for the longest time I dropped calls, 3G was non-existent and the OS crashed continuously. (some of these are still an issue today)

This morning on my Storm I was using MSN, checking email and browsing the web. It made me realize that although the iPhone is now mostly stable it does not allow apps to run in the background, which means no notifications from IM or tasks etc. Apple have the OS locked down so tight it is very frustrating in some respects.

But the most important reason I am enjoying the Storm over the iPhone 3G is Verizon's network. On AT&T if I made 10 phone calls 6 would drop in the middle of conversations. 3G would disappear or not be available at all. Being back on Verizon made me realize that no matter how good/bad an OS is, without a robust network it really doesn't matter as receiving phone calls is obviously the most important!

Again this is all just an opinion. but from a recent iPhone 3G user I am really enjoying this phone - Issues and all.
    11-27-08 08:57 AM
    Good post. I never realized you can't run multiple apps on the iphone.

So you are saying you couldn't use the iPhone as an iPod, text and be logged into an IM program at the same time? that sucks.
    11-27-08 09:24 AM
    Good post. I never realized you can't run multiple apps on the iphone.

So you are saying you couldn't use the iPhone as an iPod, text and be logged into an IM program at the same time? that sucks.
    I should clarify. Apple allows you to play music from the ipod portion in any application. Apples mail app also runs (basically only Apple developed Applications) - but any 3rd party, IM apps, todo's and anything else are not allowed to run in the background... per Apples SDK developer rules.

This essentially means that when you leave an app to complete other tasks the app you are leaving stops until you re-enter it...
    11-27-08 09:32 AM
    i was jus havin this convo w a friend of mine last nite and he says u can have multiple things running on the iphone without issue. we were discussing lag time on the storm due to limited free memory and he was saying how he doesnt hav that prob on the iphone. and his is an unlocked one running on tmobile.
    11-27-08 09:33 AM
    I should clarify. Apple allows you to play music from the ipod portion in any application. Apples mail app also runs (basically only Apple developed Applications) - but any 3rd party, IM apps, todo's and anything else are not allowed to run in the background... per Apples SDK developer rules.

This essentially means that when you leave an app to complete other tasks the app you are leaving stops until you re-enter it...
    being a mac user i can see why apple did this. so it wouldnt suck up free memory and cause the problems like we hav with the storm with lag and all
    11-27-08 09:34 AM
    i was jus havin this convo w a friend of mine last nite and he says u can have multiple things running on the iphone without issue. we were discussing lag time on the storm due to limited free memory and he was saying how he doesnt hav that prob on the iphone. and his is an unlocked one running on tmobile.
    You said the key thing.. his is an "unlocked" phone running on another carrier.

Locked Iphones on ATT will only run one app at a time as discussed.
    11-27-08 09:37 AM
    Unlocked (jailbroken) iPhones have an app called Backgrounder which allows the iPhone to run apps in the background like any other smart phone. But this is Jailbroken - officially Apple does not allow it. This is fine but voids your phones warranty (thanks Apple!).
    11-27-08 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD