Great....now there will be two resources for me to rummage through.......I need a paid assistant to go through and pick out the important posts
    12-10-08 12:44 PM
    I commend the effort and idea, but...

That is where a WIKI fails...

You have no control of what is added, who adds it, or how accurate it is.

Example... -> blackberrystorm.wikidot.com/set-up-gmail-imap was added to the Wiki... It looks suspiciously like what I posted on Hofo for setting up Gmail via IMAP on v4.5 devices (except I didnt say anything about the delivery conf)

But its not accurate for the storm.

instead -> blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/161974-gmail-syncing.html#post1186280 is accurate for the Storm.

The difference.. in step 5 on the Wiki says "leave the password blank"... if you do that on the Storm, it doesn't work. It just loops asking for email address and password. You have to fill in a bogus password on the storm to go by.

There are other subtle differences after step 5 as well that have an impact.

And following what is accurate for the Gmail IMAP setup on the storm, the Confirm Delivery = YES vs no does not have an impact for me (mine is set yet)
    I see you didn't link to a CB post, so should I assume that this forum us useless? Forums have their place, and so do wikis.

"You have no control of what is added, who adds it, or how accurate it is."
    Also, I just don't get your logic. You say the wiki is wrong but what makes you think all forum posts are going to be right? They are not, there is just as much incorrect information on the forum as there is on a wiki. The wiki makes finding answers to common questions easier. What kind of control do you have in the forum? Users can reply with the correct information, but the same can be said of a wiki.
    12-10-08 04:19 PM
    well mark, typically in a post if wrong information is posted it may be corrected several entries down or in some cases not for 10 or 15 pages later. who has time to read that much. on the wiki, the mistake is corrected and its good to go! BTW. it maybe true that someone grabbed those setup instructions from a post you made earlier, but they are still accurate if you are using the BIS website and leave the password blank.

i mean are you serious about wiki's? most highly regarded education institutions use wikis and if you tell me you have NEVER used wikipedia for anything then you are a liar!
    Last edited by ddarvish; 12-10-08 at 05:03 PM.
    12-10-08 05:00 PM
    Wikipedia is another good example. Do you think all the info there is bogus? Maybe a giant forum with threads for each topic would be better?
    12-10-08 07:07 PM
    I see you didn't link to a CB post, so should I assume that this forum us useless? Forums have their place, and so do wikis.
    No, I didn't say this forum is useless... See Forums can have discussions, thought process, etc. to backup and provide the basis for the information.
    "You have no control of what is added, who adds it, or how accurate it is."
    Also, I just don't get your logic. You say the wiki is wrong but what makes you think all forum posts are going to be right? They are not, there is just as much incorrect information on the forum as there is on a wiki.
    I'm not saying forums are 100% correct. Don't put words in my mouth!!

In a forum, people can jump in and say, hey that doesn't work the way you said or "that is not correct," and then discuss why it doesn't work, what happens, etc and arrive at the correct information. And everyone can see the entire discussion and thought process unfold.
    The wiki makes finding answers to common questions easier. What kind of control do you have in the forum? Users can reply with the correct information, but the same can be said of a wiki.
    I just don't get your logic... the people looking at the wiki for these answers, generally are the ones who NEED the answer, therefore all they know is, they came to the wiki, the info on the wiki doesn't work, so then they'll just have to go hunting for the correct info anyway. How does that make it easier?

And they have no way to "speak up" and tell someone, or discuss what they find doesn't work..

Maybe the did a step wrong because they didn't understand, or maybe the steps are not correct... They wont know. This particular wiki doesn't have any references or sources cited.

This wiki appears to be down (I keep getting "500 - Internal Server Error"), so I can't see if there is a "Feed Back" link that at least someone could report something doesn't work...
    well mark, typically in a post if wrong information is posted it may be corrected several entries down or in some cases not for 10 or 15 pages later. who has time to read that much. on the wiki, the mistake is corrected and its good to go!
    Again, on the Wiki, who is going to know when the information is incorrect in the first place and that it needs to be fixed? Who is going to take the time to go back and fix it?

Reading 10 or 15 "pages" later in a forum, they just might actually LEARN not only how something is done, but WHY its done which will help them more in the long run.
    BTW. it maybe true that someone grabbed those setup instructions from a post you made earlier, but they are still accurate if you are using the BIS website and leave the password blank.
    Its not about someone grabbed what I posted... Its more about the instructions are NOT accurate for the Storm.

And the instructions do NOT mention visiting the BIS web site from a computer in any way... they talk about working on the BB itself. So how are they "still accurate" for the Storm?

If there is going to be some main "editor" or "moderator" of the Wiki that is going to make sure the information is accurate and valid, then heck yeah, It will be much more useful.

Wikipedia is another good example. Do you think all the info there is bogus? Maybe a giant forum with threads for each topic would be better?
    And tell me... what is at the bottom of every Wikipedia page?

Yup... SOURCES... where did the information on that page come from... links to the information that provided the basis and foundation for the information on that Wiki page to help provide a context and some sort of proof of the validity of the information.

Wikipedia does have some oversite and review of their information. Substandard or disputed information can/will be removed.

Its cool. I've said MY opinion. I SAID(in my first post in this thread) I commend your effort...

Good luck your wiki...
    12-10-08 09:09 PM
    well mark, typically in a post if wrong information is posted it may be corrected several entries down or in some cases not for 10 or 15 pages later. who has time to read that much. on the wiki, the mistake is corrected and its good to go! BTW. it maybe true that someone grabbed those setup instructions from a post you made earlier, but they are still accurate if you are using the BIS website and leave the password blank.

i mean are you serious about wiki's? most highly regarded education institutions use wikis and if you tell me you have NEVER used wikipedia for anything then you are a liar!
    I just clicked on your link for the wiki and get "Internal Server Error"
    12-10-08 09:21 PM
    hmm . well it most have been a temp glitch cuz it is up now!
    12-14-08 04:59 AM
    Well for what it is worth I commend you on putting it up. I usually do not take anything on face value. When I use wiki sites I use them as a template for something and know what to ask or how to ask in forums like this. So I think it is just as good of an idea as this forum is. And think they both can be used hand in hand for information to help us all out. Newbies and Experts.
    12-14-08 05:21 AM
    Very nice and very well done. I can tell you that I will be spending a bunch of time there!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12-14-08 05:48 AM
    Trackback: xttp://blog.benesblog.de/2008/12/14/offizielles-storm-wiki/

"Der User ddarvish vom CrackBerry Forum hat sich die M�he gemacht und ein Wiki bez�glich des BlackBerry Storms aufgesetzt ..."
    12-14-08 06:36 AM
    i personally dont want to rumage through 27 pages of posts ( BELL software update) to find the correct link to download and upgrade my phone. a wiki in such case would be superior!
    I could not agree with you more. Just this post alone I ridiculous. I'm a noobie to this whole Black Berry deal. I got the storm and was concerned that I bought a too much phone. I found CB and felt at ease with it, but I have noticed a lot of crap that you have to go thru to get a problem solved. If there was a problem solving thread that had a minimum requirement posting of say 1500-2500 post to post there it would help weed the crap that you had togo thru

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 07:17 AM
    We now have over 450 000 members so a few more or less make no difference. Certainly not to me since I am not paid
    I think that is a terrible attitude.
    Whether or not if it is true or not that is something that should never be expressed out loud.
    There is a lot of mean comments on here and I don't think mods should contribute to the hostility.

My 2 cents

12-14-08 10:30 AM
    I think that is a terrible attitude.
    Whether or not if it is true or not that is something that should never be expressed out loud.
    There is a lot of mean comments on here and I don't think mods should contribute to the hostility.

My 2 cents

thanks for your concern and your support!
    12-15-08 01:20 AM
    i spend the whole day trying to figure out how to convert vids to bb format, being that i am not computer savvy, and all i had to do was go to storm wiki and i found what i needed..... thank u heaps
    12-15-08 03:16 AM
    just wanted to thank everyone who continues to use and update this wiki. it has even taught me a trick or two recently!
    02-17-09 01:36 AM
    best storm site out =P
    02-17-09 02:26 AM
    I love the wiki. It has to the point info you may need or are looking for. I love CB as well. To me, you can never have too many resources if you are looking for help.
    02-17-09 05:15 AM
    I love the wiki. It has to the point info you may need or are looking for. I love CB as well. To me, you can never have too many resources if you are looking for help.

Yes! thanks. the wiki has been updated a lot recently and has pretty current info, so it is always a great way to get directly at something without searching through 50 page threads!
    03-03-09 08:30 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD