Is it possible to program the volume buttons to act as left/right buttons to make editing(emails) easier?

I find it very difficult to get the cursor to the right point to edit a type-o in emails, and other texts...I can usually get it close but not on spot...it would be great if the volume buttons could act as a left/right button to move the cursor left or right to the exact spot to make my edits.

Thank you in advance.
    01-01-09 09:50 AM
    great idea because I have the same problem. I love this phone but I use it heavily for work and the below average typing ability and poor ability to edit typos quickly is driving me crazy.
    01-01-09 10:09 AM
    Try not using as much finger pressure as you usually do and see if it helps with your accuracy.
    01-01-09 10:11 AM
    There's a much easier way to do this.

Touch (don't press) the screen until the cursor turns into a box (a few seconds), then slide your finger and the cursor will move by character. Easy as pie to get it where you want it.
    01-01-09 10:28 AM

Touch (don't press) the screen until the cursor turns into a box (a few seconds), then slide your finger and the cursor will move by character. Easy as pie to get it where you want it.

with this remember you can touch the screen on either the left or right of the cursor to make it easier to see where you are moving the cursor to.
    01-01-09 10:45 AM
    Yep, just touch the screen, and leave your finger there until the cursor turns into a box. From there, slide it where you need it. If you do it away from where the cursor is, it's very easy to see where you're placing it.

I'm finding a lot of the "problems" people are having is actually user error. I spent some time with the online owners manual at the Blackberry website. Much more informative than the stupid little book Verizon gives you with the phone.
    01-01-09 10:57 AM

This was an awesome trick I learned from this board...used to drive me nuts try to touch the spot I wanted 5-6 times lol. This makes it pretty easy.

Though I do agree the volume buttons should work inside menus, programs, emails for something..atleast to scroll up and down on menus at the least since they're just a waste of space if you're not on the home screen or in something to do with volume (flycast, call etc)
    01-01-09 10:59 AM
    Bring Back The Wheel!
    Bring Back The Wheel!
    Bring Back The Wheel!

The storm would be perfect if it had the old track wheel in addition to the touch screen. The wheel with the click and back button would make portrait operation great for emails, contacts, and other one handed operations you don't want your finger in the way for. I love the touch but the wheel would make it that much better and set it apart from the other touch sreens on the market and make the storm a truly unique BB.
    01-01-09 11:03 AM
    Oh I just tried touching the screen and slidng, at first I got frustrated because I couldnt see the curser because of my finger, but then I realised you dont have to have your finger in the same place where the blue cursor is but can drag along (kind of like the mouse on the browser).

Thanks a lot guys! This has been bothering me a lot.
    01-01-09 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD