I won a bid on Ebay. Phone is BB storm2. Phone seems to be exactly like it was suppose to be. Soon as I turned it on it ask for a "New password" I thought humm but ok since it was asking for a new one . I put one in and then again to verify it. Its one that I use all the time so I felt safe using it. Now after checking wifi I clicked the lock button on top of phone. When I tried to look at something else it now asks for a PW and wont take the one I just put in? I know I have 5 attempts left out of 10. Any idea what I am to do now. I have an Email into the previous owner but he is a bit slow to return. I have a storm 1 for a while now and I think I read that I brick this phone after 10 attempts . Anyone? Is there a default PW that this phone comes with? My storm 1 did not. Thanks for any help

Steve
    PS Just got EM from previous and he said he wiped it clean and dont know what to tell me. So I guess I in big dodo if you guys cant help?
    Last edited by cbsterling; 07-26-10 at 05:40 PM.
    07-26-10 05:35 PM
    Is it by chance stolen? Did you verify that the ESN was clear before purchase?
    07-26-10 06:06 PM
    Well, the good news is that once you enter it wrong 10 times, it'll just wipe the personal data on the phone and then you just have to start all over.

Sounds to me like the previous owner was on a BES and there's a password policy on the device which they didn't wipe off the phone. You'll need to go in the Help/FAQ section and read about removing the BES Policy by using a program called javaloader.exe and issuing it along with the /factoryreset switch to clear the policy. There's also some other Windows based programs that can help you do the same function but in an easier form. Just read the writeups... it's easy.
    07-26-10 09:59 PM
    I thank both you gentlemen for your replies. Paul I would have been surprised to find it was stolen as it turns out it was not. Thanks for that.
    JR I am happy to hear that about 10 bad attempts only means a wipe. As I just got the phone and a wipe would not matter.(BTW: it wiped with no problems) I cannot explain how I could have put in a PW that I use for non important items and have had for years incorrectly TWICE. Mystery I cannot figure out. In fact its a combo of letters and numbers and I even tried on my last 5 tries to duplicate the mistake but could not.
    I will most likely have to read what you recommended as it will not disable in options/password. Its in the enabled lite gray dimmed out with a lock icon next to it? Would that be because of BES? I do hope I can rid myself of that inconvenience. If anyone stole my BB they would pay me to take it back just in case they would have to do what is in my calendar. So I don't need this to lock out all the time. Its a big pain putting it back in unlock. It won�t let me just do a 123 or something. It says cant be in sequence. I thank both or you for your time and will take the opportunity to say BB is truly the best there is. You know I don�t say that blindly, or without good reason. I have tried all of them at one time or another including the Ijoke. Palm always ran a good 2nd but now that phone has died in a real way and can�t even do a spell check without a bunch of app loading. So thanks again.
    Sterling
    07-27-10 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD