lol, don't worry about it scarred... we like to have fun around here and joke around by picking on the new people. It's childish, but it makes us inferior people feel good inside.
    But can someone tell me what a soft cap is as in 5gb soft cap?
    12-07-08 08:31 PM
    But can someone tell me what a soft cap is as in 5gb soft cap?
    It means they may or may not cut you off at 5gb. They reserve the right to cut you off or can limit your speed if you exceed 5gb/mo.
    12-07-08 08:33 PM
    If you use more then 5GB of data in a month, you'll get billed for it. However, according to the TOC the 5GB cap is only for tethered use. (People keep bickering back and forth on what's right and not about this.) You will have a hard time hitting 5GB of usage, but just log in to your Verizon online account and check how much data you're using if you're worried.
    12-07-08 08:34 PM
    It means they may or may not cut you off at 5gb. They reserve the right to cut you off or can limit your speed if you exceed 5gb/mo.
    And you'd have to be doing a lot to reach 5gb/mo. I use to Sling on my phone before the Storm, plus a few other data-intensive activities, and I never came anywhere near 5gb.

I miss Sling.
    12-07-08 08:35 PM
    Ok thanks. This is random but i got orb its pretty cool but the video streaming quality sucks.
    12-07-08 08:36 PM
    Don't scoff at the kid he was just asking a question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 08:39 PM
    And you'd have to be doing a lot to reach 5gb/mo. I use to Sling on my phone before the Storm, plus a few other data-intensive activities, and I never came anywhere near 5gb.

I miss Sling.
    What's Sling?
    12-07-08 08:40 PM
    Don't scoff at the kid he was just asking a question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks you
    12-07-08 08:43 PM
    Okay, now that I've had my nap I'm not as cranky....

I was told that the data package is truly unlimited on your phone. the 5G limit is for tethering to your laptop.

I think they'll say the same thing if you call VZ. Get a name, then b*tch like heck if they charge you for going over on your phone.
    12-07-08 08:45 PM
    So could i go over the 5gb limit if i'm streaming stuff from my computer with orb but i'm only doing it with music cuz everything else is crap quality
    12-07-08 08:50 PM
    So could i go over the 5gb limit if i'm streaming stuff from my computer with orb but i'm only doing it with music cuz everything else is crap quality
    Huh? English please?

Music is data, so yes you can go over 5gb/mo by continually streaming music via orb. But you would have to be streaming constantly. You're in school; do the math.
    12-07-08 08:54 PM
    If you use more then 5GB of data in a month, you'll get billed for it. However, according to the TOC the 5GB cap is only for tethered use. (People keep bickering back and forth on what's right and not about this.) You will have a hard time hitting 5GB of usage, but just log in to your Verizon online account and check how much data you're using if you're worried.
    He is correct and as I do work for Verizon I can say that this was instated to keep people from downloading songs, vids and other things ie:limewire. So as long as you're not doing anything like that or while on thethering you're good
    12-07-08 08:54 PM
    Huh? English please?

Music is data, so yes you can go over 5gb/mo by continually streaming music via orb. But you would have to be streaming constantly. You're in school; do the math.
    So is it like say if the song is 5mb it would use 5mb of memory of the 5gb soft cap?
    12-07-08 08:59 PM
    So is it like say if the song is 5mb it would use 5mb of memory of the 5gb soft cap?
    If you're sending all 5mb over the air to your phone, then yes it counts toward your cap. Everything you receive OTA on your phone that's data (e.g., not voice, not sms) counts towards the cap.
    12-07-08 09:03 PM
    scared you missed the point,

read a few post up. The cap is only because people were tethering their phones to their laptops. If your doing data on your phone then you dont have to worry about the limit. Not to mention you will have to try really really really hard to even get near it streaming on flycast. If they over charge you just call and keep asking for someone until they realize that you were only on your phone and the cap dosnt apply to you.
    12-07-08 09:03 PM

read a few post up. The cap is only because people were tethering their phones to their laptops. If your doing data on your phone then you dont have to worry about the limit. Not to mention you will have to try really really really hard to even get near it streaming on flycast. If they over charge you just call and keep asking for someone until they realize that you were only on your phone and the cap dosnt apply to you.
    That's incorrect. The limit applies regardless of whether you have tethering or not.

See VZW's TOS statement for BB data plan (e.g., BIS, BES):
    "We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term."
    12-07-08 09:10 PM
    He is correct and as I do work for Verizon I can say that this was instated to keep people from downloading songs, vids and other things ie:limewire. So as long as you're not doing anything like that or while on thethering you're good
    They just won't listen to us VZW reps. I've pretty much given up and let them all think the BB browser is a 5 GB limit.
    12-07-08 09:22 PM
    They just won't listen to us VZW reps. I've pretty much given up and let them all think the BB browser is a 5 GB limit.
    Lol that's all we can do my friend because as long as you're not tethering or on a VZ Access card there is no way you can get close to 5GB on the phone istself.
    12-07-08 09:41 PM
    Lol that's all we can do my friend because as long as you're not tethering or on a VZ Access card there is no way you can get close to 5GB on the phone istself.
    Uhh, yes you can. It's hard, but possible. Just did the math, and to use up 5 GB in a month, you'd have to average 15.66 kb/s (5 GB/mo * 1/31 mo/day * 1/24 day/hrs * 1/60 hr/min * 1/60 min/sec * 1024 MB/GB * 1024 KB/MB * 8 kb/KB) continuously for the entire month.

This is with the phone constantly on and streaming. Streaming can easily average 200+ kb/s.

Again, very hard to reach this, but certainly possible.
    12-07-08 10:09 PM

Again i'm a new bb what does tethering mean.I dont wanna sound stupid i'm just a noob.
    12-07-08 10:18 PM
    Again i'm a new bb what does tethering mean.I dont wanna sound stupid i'm just a noob.
    Using your phone as a modem
    12-07-08 10:20 PM
    yeah thats what i figured and i have a modem so i'm not gonna be doing that.
    Does anyone know how to get better streaming quality on orb?
    12-07-08 10:23 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD