just to clarify, it is a RIM limitation on what i believe to be all CDMA blackberries...idk why. but your example of the voyager and other dumb phones...they use EMS as a key selling point, it is quite popular for messaging devices. but with blackberries, sms is the most basic of communication services.

i asked a RIM rep who came to VZW to train us on the curve when it came out and his response was, "because RIM doesn't get any kickback for sms based services. we only get it from data based services that go through our servers. I.M., email, mms, etc..."

so that is why they don't allow EMS with the blackberry software...now some blackberries on GSM carriers have it enabled. its the same situation as wi-fi, it isn't by carrier request to have it disabled...

if you take the storm and unlock it and drop it on a GSM network it has multi page texting...

so WHY then is it locked just on verizon?
    05-28-09 06:56 PM
    I receive EMS all the time from other Verizon users. There messages are always more than 160 character limit.
    05-28-09 08:34 PM
    I can almost sware that i saw a picture of a storm with EDGE and wifi underneath. Telus?

anywho... i know that i have seen a picture of a storm with wifi on the screen.
    We all have........if it had a screen shot that was either

a) simulated
    or
    b) running a third party theme from the beta version of Plazmic, when you couldn't remove the icon.

Trust me, it ain't on Telus either.
    05-28-09 08:39 PM
    if you take the storm and unlock it and drop it on a GSM network it has multi page texting...

so WHY then is it locked just on verizon?
    Because then it isn't running on the CDMA network anymore. It is now on GSM.
    05-28-09 08:40 PM
    I receive EMS all the time from other Verizon users. There messages are always more than 160 character limit.
    But do they have BB's?
    05-28-09 08:40 PM
    so its the CDMA network connection that disables EMS...there are some threads about foreign languages, and one about unlocked storm on ATT that can send >160, but idk if it means EMS...

>160 is only part of what EMS allows...
    05-28-09 09:38 PM
    But do they have BB's?
    Well of course not. Because they are not allowed more than 160 character limit. lol.
    05-28-09 10:18 PM
    I would figure this... I just thought of it but it probably wouldn't work.
    GSM Setting allows your storm to do 1/7 EMS characters if you set your Storm to GSM. I wonder if you could take THAT, save the draft, go back to 1XEV for USA sending, and send that same message.

Worth a shot
    05-28-09 10:41 PM
    the sms window will limit your typing to 160 as soon as you convert back to CDMA...we tried.

the original post that brought up the whole CDMA/GSM discussion was someone who got the "SOS" message when they were creating a sms, and it went away, so did the >160 function...which sucks. wish there was a way for 1337 haxxorz for >160 sms capabilitites!!
    05-28-09 10:44 PM
    I would figure this... I just thought of it but it probably wouldn't work.
    GSM Setting allows your storm to do 1/7 EMS characters if you set your Storm to GSM. I wonder if you could take THAT, save the draft, go back to 1XEV for USA sending, and send that same message.

Worth a shot
    Fail... when you create a message on GSM then try to send it will shorten the message by how many to go back to 160. Sad
    05-28-09 10:45 PM
    self quoting fail too... lol!
    05-28-09 10:46 PM
    the sms window will limit your typing to 160 as soon as you convert back to CDMA...we tried.

the original post that brought up the whole CDMA/GSM discussion was someone who got the "SOS" message when they were creating a sms, and it went away, so did the >160 function...which sucks. wish there was a way for 1337 haxxorz for >160 sms capabilitites!!
    It's probably possible, but I would not know any of the true files of it. If it's under RIM's things, you may be able to find the file of it. Or it may be the radio file.
    However, if it's Java files, it would take research but would be quite interesting to see what could be in store.
    05-28-09 10:47 PM
    self quoting fail too... lol!
    Epic Double Fail...
    Requires Double Facepalm.
    05-28-09 10:48 PM
    quad double double....

but if you can get >160 on CDMA i take back everything bad i've ever said about you...
    05-28-09 10:58 PM
    Yay, the 3 posts you would take back! Lol.
    I'm not too sure if it's possible. Civic on here is very good at sniffing out the files better then me. However I could look into it and cause 20-60 BB bricks or fails with every cod file out there and see which one could be the limiter.
    Although I have a feeling its in the .sfi file.
    05-28-09 11:06 PM
    Yes, I inadvertently threadjacked a dead thread that I had successfully threadjacked before. hhah
    05-29-09 09:47 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD