All you need to do is talk with the manager you originally talked to. go in there remind them of who you are. It is up to the manager discretion anyway as far as early upgrades go..... not the peon behind the counter not the computer.
    11-18-08 05:36 PM
    So does that mean I'm better off going into a store to talk to a manager than attempting to convince a CS person on the phone to grant me an early upgrade?

I could live with end of December but c'mon, the sooner the better!
    11-18-08 05:39 PM
    i was told the same thing a few weeks ago and they didn't make a note in my account... i have a feeling im going to be sol on friday
    11-18-08 05:44 PM
    Well if you have proof like I did, that seems to be the best route on it so far. I am happy its resolved and confirmed.
    11-18-08 05:50 PM
    I understand how you guys canbe frustrated not being able to upgrade early, but rules are rules. You signed a contract that states you can upgrade after two years, so if they dont let you upgrade early, you cant really be mad at them, at all. Gotta just follow the rules
    11-18-08 06:11 PM
    Call 611 and complain to them. I'm not eligible for an upgrade till Dec 10th and after 20 mins of arguing with her she tells me "she doesn't know what else to tell me and I will have to wait till Dec 10th if I want to use my upgrade". I said what if I was to tell you I will just cancel my contract and go somewhere else on Dec 10th? She then goes can you hold on please...*10 seconds later* GREAT NEWS! Looks like we can upgrade you a month early, I missed a note where you talked to a rep on Nov. 10th about getting a month early upgrade. I'm like huh...I never talked to anyone on the 10th? But whatevs.

IMO it all depends on who you talk to on the phone.
    11-18-08 06:17 PM
    I understand how you guys canbe frustrated not being able to upgrade early, but rules are rules. You signed a contract that states you can upgrade after two years, so if they dont let you upgrade early, you cant really be mad at them, at all. Gotta just follow the rules
    I don't think anyone would fight you on that; however, there are some rationales that would actually favor letting some of us upgrade. For example, it would definitely be in Verizon's best interest to allow individuals currently using dumb phones to upgrade early. This generates a significant and immediate stream of revenue from the data plan. So while they stick with the rules are rules approach they're missing out on $49.99 a month (or whatever lesser plan you might go for). The several months that I would have to wait but for my mom's upcoming upgrade in late December would generate more than enough revenue to defray the discounted price on the storm. As we've said, it's their business and they can do what they want but that doesn't mean we can't be unhappy or a bit sore at the decision.
    11-18-08 06:19 PM
    Agreed. If you can get them to do something - great. If not, well sorry.

ALSO, I don't understnd saying "hey, I want to give them 199.00 for a new phone, they should be happy". should they give you the promotion price in 6 months if the Storm II comes out? And again 3 months after that when the Blackberry UberPhone arrives?
    Last edited by hal1; 11-18-08 at 06:31 PM.
    11-18-08 06:22 PM
    This is simple... Call the (800) and ask to be transfered to the cancellation department. Tell them that you would like to cancel your contract and that you are switching to AT&T for the iphone because you were told that you couldnt get the Storm at the promotional price. They will do anything to keep your business.
    11-18-08 07:12 PM
    Agreed. If you can get them to do something - great. If not, well sorry.

ALSO, I don't understnd saying "hey, I want to give them 199.00 for a new phone, they should be happy". should they give you the promotion price in 6 months if the Storm II comes out? And again 3 months after that when the Blackberry UberPhone arrives?
    I am one of those people that think they should give the upgrade to people. But I also don't know what kind of research they did. Verizon could very well know that if they say no to most people wanting to upgrade early, they will make more money on some of those people buying the phone at MSRP because they want it now. That is my only guess on why they would hold off from giving an upgrade to people early.
    11-18-08 07:42 PM
    I think they wont let people upgrade because they have to follow the rules. They cant just go changing the rules for everybody because they want to get a storm. Just have to follow procedures
    11-18-08 07:44 PM
    This was given as a suggestion to me as I am also not able to get an upgrade...

add a phone to your account ($10 / month) this qualifies you for the discounted price, then switch numbers with your old phone, then once your other contract is up drop the phone from the account.

cost you $10 buck but does get you the phone at a discounted rate.
    11-18-08 09:08 PM
    I apologize for starting world war storm. As a customer of nine years who has NEVER called customer service and is frustrated with current phone model and expressed interest in switching back in February to a different company out of curiosity of a new phone I was promised it would be worth my wait to hold out. Now that time has arrived I want to make my own decision on the best reception network and their dream baby. I am glad I have the opportunity, rules or not.
    11-19-08 12:28 AM
    Well I don't think you started world war storm! And so what about the rules you been a customer a long time they needed to do something for you if you've never ask them for anything. I am waiting til next week then gonna call them and ask for the cancellation dept and tell them I will just go to Rogers. My husband is saying he doesn't want to sign another 3 yr YEAH 3year here in Canada just to say a little money. He would rather get the iphone and me get the Bold. So I'm arguing about that right now lol!! I will win for sure. But I understand the headache I've spoken to someone about a used Curve and then maybe buy the storm out right not really sure. But I wish we had rebates and things like you guys have. Telus SUCKS in this department nothing to help the customer out!! so be happy if you get something. And congrats on getting a good deal!

I apologize for starting world war storm. As a customer of nine years who has NEVER called customer service and is frustrated with current phone model and expressed interest in switching back in February to a different company out of curiosity of a new phone I was promised it would be worth my wait to hold out. Now that time has arrived I want to make my own decision on the best reception network and their dream baby. I am glad I have the opportunity, rules or not.
    11-19-08 12:39 AM
    im all for getting everything someone is entitled to, but holy crap people.! if you have proof of an offer for an upgrade, yeah that's cool. if you're calling them up to beg them to give you an early upgrade, you have to realize that they dont HAVE to do anything of the sort. will they? even if you threaten to cancel? most of the time, but no, you're not ENTITLED to it. some of you may take this personally, and i dont mean it that way, but YOURE NOT ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING YOU WANT!!!! it's a microcosm of what's going wrong with america today, including the crumbling economy. everybody thinks they are entitled to what they want but dont have. if you're not eligble for a few months more, buck up and wait. heck, save up the money you would be putting towards the device, and walk in and hand them CASH when you buy it, people always are more interested when you pay cash. (no im not talking about buying something you cant afford)

oy... not sure where all of that came from, but /rant off

Last edited by toastyz71; 11-19-08 at 12:46 AM.
    11-19-08 12:44 AM
    Thanks! ... sucks Telus doesn't help at all. I thought Canada had their stuff together
    11-19-08 12:45 AM
    Toasty: You're absolutely right. I think often people are confusing enthusiasm for the device and desperate hope of obtaining an early upgrade with a sense of entitlement. I understand that they have every right to tell me no, and for the record I'm not making cancellation threats when I call, but that doesn't prevent me from hoping that they will decide to marginally bend the rules. If they don't I can suck it up and wait, but it would be all the more sweet to have it sooner than later. I like the cash idea. Makes me wonder if a store manager would let me upgrade 1 month early if I paid entirely in cash...maybe even a nice crisp $20 for his or her "assistance"...
    11-19-08 09:09 AM
    Dude she is either new or blowing smoke up your rear. I think she is new.
    Anyhow I upgraded in March of this year. I spoke with a couple of reps
    they said I am elligible for an early upgrade. At first back in lets say Oct
    they were saying I had to pay the the remainder of my year($120) then I would get my discount. The closer it got then they stated to close out my remaining contrct I would have to pay $20. Suprisingly the sales rep called me back last week to see if I was still interested in the Storm; and yes I get the discounts etc. I may try and wait patiently and order over the phone and get the xtra discount; or just walk into the store. But u are eleigble I know for a fact that u are because I bought my xv6800 right after u. So call again; and just calm down you'll be ok.
    Hope my description wasn't too confusing, but I guarantee u will get the discounts........................
    11-19-08 09:34 AM
    You are elligible
    11-19-08 09:35 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD