I don't if this has been posted here or not, just thought I'd post this up for the newly Storm™ users that are complaining about the slow OS or bugs.

Step 1.
    - Go to BlackBerry - Engage an even more powerful BlackBerry Storm on Internet Explorer ONLY.

-Follow the directions on the website and there you go; enjoy.

*extra notes*
    "This is for the 9500 model, and will load on any carrier's 9500.

Software For BlackBerry� Storm(TM) smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.7.0.86 (EFIGS_Dutch)

Package Version: 4.7.0.86
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.7.0.65
    Software Platform: 4.0.0.76
    File name: 9500_omadrmEFIGS_Dutch_PBr4.7.0_rel86_PL4.0.0.76_A 4.7.0.65_Vodafone_UK.exe
    File size: 103.04MB
    Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download Here:
    Instructions for installing either version on ANY carrier's 9500:

1. Make sure you have Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 or higher installed. Get it here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded.
    3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.
    The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
    If you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to DM again and run application loader again and it should load the OS to the device."

Last edited by SlimJimTight; 11-21-08 at 03:08 PM. Reason: updated link
    11-21-08 02:38 PM
    I don't if this has been posted here or not, just thought I'd post this up for the newly Storm™ users that are complaining about the slow OS or bugs.

Step 1.
    - Go to BlackBerry - Engage an even more powerful BlackBerry Storm on Internet Explorer ONLY.

Are you sure? I did this right after i bought it and it was .65 was it recently updated?!?!?
    11-21-08 02:40 PM
    yup i'm right. it's still .65....
    how did you get .86?
    11-21-08 02:44 PM
    Sorry, my bad the .86 is for the UK & the other European countries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 02:52 PM
    Im in the UK and it says im running the latest - .65
    11-21-08 02:53 PM
    It says "The system applications that are currently installed on your device are newer than those available with this version of the BlackBerry Device Software."

Mine's running 4.7.0.65
    11-21-08 02:54 PM
    well I don't know why..

Consisting of:
    File name: 9500_omadrmEFIGS_Dutch_PBr4.7.0_rel86_PL4.0.0.76_A 4.7.0.65_Vodafone_UK.exe
    Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download Here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...05D7C424EBAE5F

1. Make sure you have Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 or higher installed. Get it here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded.
    3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
    If you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to DM again and run application loader again and it should load the OS to the device."

11-21-08 02:56 PM
    application loader pops up and asks me for a password, and I never created one. Any idea for defaults? I tried 1234 and it looked like it was working but then said fatal error.
    11-21-08 02:58 PM
    blank password... -_-
    11-21-08 03:04 PM
    well I don't know why..

Consisting of:

Download Here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...05D7C424EBAE5F

Link is broke...
    but did you do this with your 9530????
    11-21-08 03:05 PM
    11-21-08 03:08 PM
    link has been updated in my last post; weird it wont let me change the link on the first post >_<
    11-21-08 03:09 PM
    Has anyone tried this in the U.S.?
    If so, did you notice any difference?
    11-21-08 03:12 PM
    link has been updated in my last post; weird it wont let me change the link on the first post >_<
    So you did do this with your phone and everything is peachy?
    11-21-08 03:12 PM
    Sorry, I wish I could try it for you guys, but, unfortunately I won't be receiving my Storm till tomorrow by mail...
    11-21-08 03:13 PM
    oh... what the...
    well i'm not gonna do it, someone else do it and let me know haha
    11-21-08 03:15 PM

Step 1.

*extra notes*

Consisting of:
    Link is broke...
    but did you do this with your 9530????
    JKay, I thought you knew better that. I see you on CB all the time. I don't post to much, but I lurk.

What the OP is changing is the PACKAGE version not the APPLICATION version since vodaphone's shipped with a lower package/application one. The Verizon version apparently already comes with the version the OP is trying to update to, so there is nothing for you do to do until there is a new beta or official release from Verizon.
    Last edited by ediggity; 11-21-08 at 03:19 PM.
    11-21-08 03:17 PM

Thanks for the link, but I'm not gonna upgrade to a Vodaphone OS with my brand new Verizon Storm. lol

I'll let someone else be a guinea pig...

Anyone?
    11-21-08 03:18 PM
    JKay, I thought you knew better that. I see you on CB all the time. I don't post to much, but I lurk.

What the OP is changing is the PACKAGE version not the APPLICATION since vodaphone's shipped with a lower package/application version. The Verizon version apparently already comes with the version the OP is trying to update to, so there is nothing for you do to do until there is a new beta or official release from Verizon.
    lol you stalker jk :P thanks for the info :P
    11-21-08 03:20 PM
    Upgrading the OS is not for the faint hearted or for Newbies. Honestly, it ain't.

Here is the definitive thread on upgrading http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/.

I strongly reccomend that you also download CrackMem from the link in my signature (it's free).

Yuo can download the latest version (4.7) Desktop Manager from here.
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

The latest OS from your carrier may be downloaded from here. The OS you download MUST be for the phone model (8530) that you own. Other models' OSs willnever work on the wrong phone. Al Os s come from RIM and are released by carriers as and when they feel it to be appropriate. There are also numberous beta OSs around but these NEVER come from the link I give below. These will all be official from one carrier or another.
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

You may use another carrier's OS on your phone without risk BUT your carrier will probably not be able to support you because they have not been trained on the later OS. Also it is essential to delete the file Vendor.xml which CrackMem will do for you. Vendor.xml is located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

OS upgrading is a part of BlackBerry life if you want the latest, greatest and most bug free version and many CrackBerry members will hep you out if you need help or advise. My advise is do not do this until you know more about your phone and Crackberry.
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-21-08 at 03:32 PM.
    11-21-08 03:26 PM

What the OP is changing is the PACKAGE version not the APPLICATION version since vodaphone's shipped with a lower package/application one. The Verizon version apparently already comes with the version the OP is trying to update to, so there is nothing for you do to do until there is a new beta or official release from Verizon.
    Yeah I just saw that.
    i opened up options->about and realized the platform is the same...
    stupid me.
    11-21-08 03:27 PM
    Also, You can't change OS's to different modeled phones. This package is specifically made for the 9500, not the 9530.

Edit: It's ok lol
    Last edited by ediggity; 11-21-08 at 03:33 PM.
    11-21-08 03:30 PM
    Yeah I just saw that.
    i opened up options->about and realized the platform is the same...
    stupid me.
    In Options, About the OS version is the 3rd line down.
    11-21-08 03:38 PM
    you know i just hooked my blackberry up to do the data transfer and didnt read any of that junk either...but looking at my OS info its says V4.7.0.65(platform 4.0.0.82) what ever that means.
    11-21-08 06:09 PM
    I am just gonna wait for the easy-to-do OTA install lol
    11-21-08 06:23 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD