Seriously. I hear about people storing personal data such as bank accounts and SSN's and what not. Is it secure?
    11-29-08 03:35 PM
    well they are strictly known for security and email push so i would say very good. but, idk about SSN .......
    11-29-08 03:37 PM
    Can you reword your question? It's very vague.

Security is a combination of policy & device.

If you're storing data, BB is fairly secure if you use the built-in encryption and use a sufficient passwords to encrypt the file and lock the phone. 10 bad attempts and the device self-wipes.

Transmission-wise, depending on your configuration (and if you're on BES), you may have encrypted email between your BB and your company's servers. email via BIS is not encrypted (as a standard option), nor is email outside of your company if you don't have another layer like PGP.

If this is for business use, your company should have strict guidelines on how to store personal proprietary information like SSNs.

If this is for personal use, then the answer to your question is "it depends."
    11-29-08 03:58 PM
    The device is using BIS and I'm considering storing some information that would be handy to have available.

Would an application like Ascendo's Datavault be better than the default program that comes with the BB Storm?

Also, how do you set a device to self wipe after X amount of invalid attempts?
    11-29-08 04:06 PM
    The device is using BIS and I'm considering storing some information that would be handy to have available.

Would an application like Ascendo's Datavault be better than the default program that comes with the BB Storm?

Also, how do you set a device to self wipe after X amount of invalid attempts?
    Don't know about Datavault as I've never tried it. I'm using KeePass BB, as there's both a desktop and BB client. The downside is KeePass is not built to take advantage of the Storm's touch screen. I may switch over to eWallet when their BB application moves out of beta.

You don't have to enable anything. Blackberry devices will autowipe after 10 invalid attempts.
    11-29-08 04:12 PM
    All BB's autowipe after 10 invalid attempts?

According to their website, Datavault uses AES and offers email encrypting...

BlackBerry Password Manager
    11-29-08 04:39 PM
    To change # of attempts go to:

Options>Password>Number of password attempts

Then select the # and save! You can choose from 3-10 attempts.
    11-29-08 05:11 PM
    As secure as the user.......
    11-29-08 05:59 PM
    As secure as the user.......
    Well put!
    11-29-08 06:04 PM
    to be honest... nothing is fully secure its all how much your willing to risk.. storing things like a credit card number or something aren't the worst because you have protection through the credit card company but something like a ssn I wouldn't store on it.

If you store passwords and such on the device and it gets lost I would instantly go change all the passwords you had stored on it. You never know whos hands its going to get into. There is recovery tools and such that can be used to grab data off a wiped device. The encryption is pretty strong when encrypted correctly but you should never FULLY trust anything like this simply because if someone was smart enough to make it there is probably someone smart enough to hack it.

just my 2 cents.
    11-29-08 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD