I am running .148, no custom themes, a jpeg wallpaper set, and a couple apps installed like, level, quickpull v2, pandora, weatherbug, and google maps, none of which run on bootup. I do use the built in programs like Facebook and BB Msger, and from time to time I do use the MSN and AIM.

When I do a full reboot of the phone I start up with about 38.4MB, does that seem about right? Should it be more?
    06-08-09 10:18 PM
    Any amount greater than 12MB is fine for normal operation. You won't see any appreciable difference in performance with 12 MB free or 38MB free.
    06-08-09 10:33 PM
    38 is good for the Storm at start up with a reasonable amount of apps. I usually start up around 35-38 myself.
    06-08-09 10:41 PM
    38mb sounds about right. you can trim it down if you'd like. there are programs and such that strip the OS to barebones, but it depends on how many apps you use. i boot up with 38-44mb and my phone hasnt had a problem, even when i reach < 1MB free it runs smoothly.
    06-08-09 11:41 PM
    Any amount greater than 12MB is fine for normal operation. You won't see any appreciable difference in performance with 12 MB free or 38MB free.
    Is this true??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 11:52 PM
    Is this true??

Yes, Jeff wouldn't lie
    06-09-09 01:25 AM
    38 at startup sounds about ok, but remember, memory is there to be used!!!! not to be free all the time, what good is the device if your not using apps and stuff? as long as you close the apps correctly, it shouldnt matter how much memory you have free or not. i have 1 mb left on my memory right now, and its running smooooth and i havent done a battery pull in days and iam currently running about 8 apps at the same time.
    06-09-09 03:21 AM
    38 at startup sounds about ok, but remember, memory is there to be used!!!! not to be free all the time, what good is the device if your not using apps and stuff? as long as you close the apps correctly, it shouldnt matter how much memory you have free or not. i have 1 mb left on my memory right now, and its running smooooth and i havent done a battery pull in days and iam currently running about 8 apps at the same time.
    The same sort of thing happens to me, it can get pretty low at times but still it runs ok. However I don't have many things running in the background.

I think having 38mb is absolutely fine and seeing that having more than 12mb doesn't add more, I guess its more than enough!
    06-09-09 03:24 AM
    The same sort of thing happens to me, it can get pretty low at times but still it runs ok. However I don't have many things running in the background.

I think having 38mb is absolutely fine and seeing that having more than 12mb doesn't add more, I guess its more than enough!

yup....you have to take a blackberry like if it were a computer. even if you dont run apps, memory will still go down as time goes by. for example, if you leave a computer on for days, even without running apps, memory will decrease because of resources that the device is using. as long as my device peforms well, i dont see the need to be constantly be looking at the memory.

youre right, 38mb IS absolutley fine
    06-09-09 03:38 AM
    i have a bunch of apps installed I load up at about 21 no issues..
    06-09-09 05:37 AM
    I have 28 to 32 a reboot. The other are correct memory goes up and down through out the day. I still like to do a battery pull at least every other day to increase the responiveness. When I had a curve I would do a pull once a week for the same reason.

Its like taking a nap one just feels better after a restart
    06-09-09 06:21 AM
    I have 28 to 32 a reboot. The other are correct memory goes up and down through out the day. I still like to do a battery pull at least every other day to increase the responiveness. When I had a curve I would do a pull once a week for the same reason.

Its like taking a nap one just feels better after a restart

Yeah, I find a BB is like a computer, it likes a restart once in a while to clean it out. Well a BB is a computer just micro sized lol.
    06-09-09 06:24 AM
    38mb sounds about right. you can trim it down if you'd like. there are programs and such that strip the OS to barebones, but it depends on how many apps you use. i boot up with 38-44mb and my phone hasnt had a problem, even when i reach < 1MB free it runs smoothly.
    I have run into a situation recently, both with .141 and now .148, where the Storm will lock up when it wakes up and memory is less than 1mb. The little clock will start spinning and it doesn't stop until I do a battery pull.

It is a bit frustrating, particularly since I have an Innocase on the Storm. I don't like taking it on and off all the time.

Beyond that, I reset the device before I go to bed every night as "routine" memory maintenance.

I wish I knew more about memory management on the Storm. For example, when I reset and go to sleep, a review of the log shows a 6-9 mb hit in the first half hour. then it trickles down throughout the day. I've played with some of the programs looking for the leak, but I like what I am running so dumping programs is not really an option.

b.b.

b.b.
    06-09-09 08:36 AM
    My start up is at 49mb.. Running weatherbug and ubertwitter all the time.. Two themes installed and 6 more apps

06-09-09 09:48 AM
    My startup for the longest time was 28. It would run down to 10 or so in about a day and I would do a battery pull. I cleaned it up a little when I had to upgrade to .148 so now my startup is around 41. You know what? No difference AT ALL in performance.
    06-09-09 09:56 AM
    File Free memory greater than 10-12 MB is like money in the bank in an account that doesn't pay you any interest. It's good to have, but it isn't doing anything for you. It's just available to you. And while money not spent can always be left to your kids, unused memory in your BlackBerry won't have any value for future generations. Don't be afraid to use it, and don't worry about 10MB when you've got 30MB to spare.

06-09-09 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD