Hey guys, newcomer, but long time reader, and long time BB owner. Ever since i've had a certan app installed on my phone (not going to give a free plug ) ..I've noticed that i'm losing between 12% - 18% on a batt. pull/reset. That's CRAZY! So I'm on .113, but even when using .75 - and when app memory got below 15mb, i have a setting on my 3PA that automatically resets the phone ...after a day or so of realizing that i'm at 30 to 40 percent LESS batt life than usual...I've realized (by looking my log files) that i'm losing 12 to 18% of battery life on startup!

I've started doing resets when the phone is plugged into a wall charger, or usb port to charge, but even then...instead of losing 18%, i'm losing maybe 8% of battery....

It's nothing to flip out about, I just dont like the fact that if i'm at 30% batt life, which can last me about another 2 hours of a few calls, a handfull of texts, and some emails...if the phone goes "boom" and resets itself on me, or if I do a batt pull, that 30% battery will go to 12% when it reboots...that is really annoying to me, and to others I'm sure.

What are your opinions? Do you guys accept the fact this device is a powerful machine, running multiple applications in foreground and background, and understand that it would take 12 to 18% of battery life to restart this monster of a device and get it back to its normal desktop/runnning state?

Or do you think it's a little too much power being lost, regardless of what kind of device it is, even if it provides you sexual favors in your dreams, or in real life
    04-06-09 08:25 PM
    I noticed it while using Meterberry as well. I've also noticed Meterberry reporting a 10% discrepancy between it and the system battery meter on occasions.
    04-06-09 08:39 PM
    I just had this today, also on .113. So i was at 2 squares(or w/e u call them) of battery and then after it crashed I did a battery pull. Right after that the battery thing turned red and it died in about 5 minutes. I don't think it is the applications because all my applications were closed except for messages, browser, bb messenger, and phone.
    04-06-09 08:41 PM
    you're both right, its def. not the applications...it's def. not the mobile network. I just think it's clearly the amount of power this thing needs in order to boot up and make the device "ready" for us to use. Don't get me wrong, it does suck...and it is an inconvenience when you're at 12 mb of free space, and you only have 30% batt left, you basically have to compromise one or the other....
    04-06-09 08:49 PM
    Joe, why not a free plug? Just kidding.

12-18% battery loss on a reboot seems excessive. I usually see between 2-4%.

Keep in mind that depending on how you have MeterBerry's options configured, there can be up to an hour difference between the last log entry and the "Startup" log entry that is logged after your phone reboots.

For example, if you have your log update rate set to 60 minutes, the following could happen:

1. Battery level is logged at say 1:00 PM.
    2. You perform a reboot at 1:59 PM.
    3. The phone will reboot, and when MeterBerry starts back up after the reboot it will create a new log entry that shows the difference between the current battery level and the level at the last log entry at 1:00 PM.

This difference includes the whole hour before you rebooted, not just the reboot.

You may have already realized this, but I just wanted to point it out.
    04-06-09 09:19 PM
    2-4 % loss here per quick pull on .113. Here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 09:23 PM

Keep in mind that depending on how you have MeterBerry's options configured, there can be up to an hour difference between the last log entry and the "Startup" log entry that is logged after your phone reboots.

For example, if you have your log update rate set to 60 minutes, the following could happen:

1. Battery level is logged at say 1:00 PM.
    2. You perform a reboot at 1:59 PM.
    3. The phone will reboot, and when MeterBerry starts back up after the reboot it will create a new log entry that shows the difference between the current battery level and the level at the last log entry at 1:00 PM.

This difference includes the whole hour before you rebooted, not just the reboot.

You may have already realized this, but I just wanted to point it out.
    No, there is something going on here and your app just brings it into focus. I've noticed it prior to buying MeterBerry.

My thoughts is that whatever in the OS that reads the battery life remaining isn't properly calibrated. Therefore it misreports what is actually remaining.. I think this because of people reporting batteries that barely last 4 hrs. Short of bad hardware or user error, that's simply not possible.
    04-06-09 09:32 PM
    I just noticed this on my Storm as well. I did a battery pull after deleting an app. I lost about 15% battery life once it booted back up. I have never used MeterBerry either.
    04-06-09 09:45 PM
    Whenever I use quickpull I lose a bar of battery, and I don't have very many apps
    04-06-09 09:48 PM

LOL. No it was nothing against your product, I just didnt know how the forum rules are in terms of mentioning a product. Because of the long post, I didnt want people to discredit the content of the post, and think I was just plugging away at your product...(which by the way, has been the most useful app for my storm so far, and I've downloaded and purchased a lot of them).

Anyway, Yes...i did take that into consideration...I originally had the log entries at 60 minutes, and I had forgotten the fact that 59 minutes went by with no entry, then on a reboot it deducted more battery, so there is 59 minutes of heavy use, coupled with the reboot battery usage, and you could get 18%...absolutely.

When i realized this I changed the log file to 15 minutes...only temporary because it's easier and "neater" in a sense, to view the battery usage by hour..but anyway, I set the log to 15 minutes, and I reboot right after a long entry posted...that way I have true batery count, vs...just a reboot and nothing else...and when I did that, i had a 12% decrease in battery. I was very vague in my first post saying 12-18% percent, because

A. I didnt think the developer was going to post, and give me a good scenario to discuss (like the 60 minute log app).

B. I didnt know if a lot of people had the application, let alone use the application as much as I do.

So my least loss was 12%, most was 18 or 19%, i dont remember.

I think your product is too good, which is what is driving me crazy and making me look at my batt. log files every 15 minutes (thats the plug of the day).

To the other poster regarding calibration...these devices and batteries do not have a "so called" memory effect, but they do have a calibration method internally....which means that sometimes the communication between battery and display is off, because of

A. reading sensors of battery levels have not updated when you last looked at your battery.

B. the calibration is off due to hot/cold weather/heavy usage while charging the battery.

The only way to truly re-calibrate the battery/phone is to have the phone die on you completely, keep it off, and charge it while off. Do not use the phone while charging...and when you turn it on, you should have the most up to date calibrated battery information being displayed.

I make it a point to do this often, if I know my phone is going to die on me, i pretty much do my best to kill it, to the point of it not even turning on, then i charge it.

I've had hours of Li-Ion conversations with battery developers, and no two answers are alike...but I do know that using the phone heavily while charging can and will give you false readings, misfires when it comes to the phone getting battery info, then displaying it on the screen/OS for the user to see.
    04-06-09 09:59 PM
    I usually lose between 5 and 10% during a battery pull. And that's only running two extra apps on top of normal 75.

I've just gotten in the habit of doing a battery pull right before I charge the phone at night and that resets everything. I charge the phone just about every night and doing a battery pull once a day is enough to keep the phone from dragging.
    04-06-09 09:59 PM
    I usually lose between 5 and 10% during a battery pull. And that's only running two extra apps on top of normal 75.

I've just gotten in the habit of doing a battery pull right before I charge the phone at night and that resets everything. I charge the phone just about every night and doing a battery pull once a day is enough to keep the phone from dragging.
    +1

I've gotten into the habit of charging the phone every night and doing a quickpull every other day. Since I am on .99 there is a huge memory leak ... after about 8 hours of use I am down to 5 MB application memory free.
    04-06-09 10:06 PM
    wow, 5mb of free app memory? thats really low. Why dont you go up to 113 and see how that works out?
    04-07-09 06:35 PM
    I lose 5% after every quickpull 99% of the time. God I love Meterberry
    04-07-09 06:47 PM
    Just to throw another variable into the mix, I know for a fact that different Storms use juice at different rates. On my first Storm, the power usage was so bad that I could only keep a charge for about 6-7 hrs RESTING IN MY HOLSTER with very little usage while I was at work... not using the phone. I would turn it on around 6:30 in the morning and by 3:30 pm it would turn off the radio and die.

I had a little "accident" with my phone (fell in the pool with it in my pocket) so I got a new or refurb one from the insurance... I think it may have been a refurb but I couldn't really tell.

Well the new one holds a charge I would say about 3-5x better than the first one, so if different phones use juice at different rates, that would throw everything discussed here into another light would it not? Tell me if Im wrong...

Not trying to discount anyone's comments on here, just adding another thought to the conversation by saying that my old phone prolly used more juice during a battery pull than my present one. I can get about two full days off of one charge.

I just did a test and my battery life went from 75% to 70% using the QuickPull app just now. So mine only used up 5% of it's charge. BTW this thread is really interesting.
    04-07-09 08:31 PM
    Funny thing is I actually gain power sometimes...I think it's because I was charging and the battery meter didn't recognize it.

04-07-09 08:35 PM
    While I agree it could be a phone thing. And every phone is different the same could be said about
    The battery u received too right ? I bet if u had the refurb batt and put in a problem phone
    That is dying fast. The phone would work better with ur confirmed working battery. So its
    Really hard to tell when it comes to device or phone witout swapping batteries and testing.
    For me I'm at 29 % after heavy texting and browsing with a few calls. I'm ok with charging daily as long as it gets me thru the day.

04-07-09 09:02 PM
    I saw this thread last night and figured I would check my Storm after my usual nightly routine. Every night I charge it fully then I run QuickPull around 11PM. The Storm shuts itself off at midnight and turns itself on at 7AM. At 8AM this morning I checked the battery under Status and it showed 100%.
    Last edited by WMC; 04-07-09 at 09:26 PM.
    04-07-09 09:23 PM
    While I agree it could be a phone thing. And every phone is different the same could be said about
    The battery u received too right ? I bet if u had the refurb batt and put in a problem phone
    That is dying fast. The phone would work better with ur confirmed working battery. So its
    Really hard to tell when it comes to device or phone witout swapping batteries and testing.
    For me I'm at 29 % after heavy texting and browsing with a few calls. I'm ok with charging daily as long as it gets me thru the day.

Sorry, my Storm is all original from 11/22
    04-07-09 10:06 PM
    Really hard to tell when it comes to device or phone witout swapping batteries...
    Actually I did take my 1st storm back to Verizon for just that.
    They gave me a brand new battery and didn't make a bit of difference .

04-08-09 01:35 AM
    The Storm does seem like it takes a lot of juice to start up. I've noticed losing battery when doing a battery pull. I figured I'd free up some memory but ended up not being able to use it for much longer after that. :\
    04-08-09 02:02 AM
    This shoudl be obvious.
    As with a pc booting, the cpu and everything else is busy while boots, using more power, before it goes into an idle state.
    The same theory applies to inductive loads like motors too. Startup is just hungry. Getting up in the morning is hard too.
    I lose 5% or so on a reboot, but batteries differ in chemical composition and age, so everyone won't see the same thing.
    04-08-09 03:56 AM
    This shoudl be obvious.
    As with a pc booting, the cpu and everything else is busy while boots, using more power, before it goes into an idle state.
    The same theory applies to inductive loads like motors too. Startup is just hungry. Getting up in the morning is hard too.
    I lose 5% or so on a reboot, but batteries differ in chemical composition and age, so everyone won't see the same thing.
    Sorry, its more than that. I've seen up to a 30% drop in battery which is too much to be caused by a reboot. Especially since other reboots cause no drop
    04-08-09 04:24 AM
    Sorry, its more than that. I've seen up to a 30% drop in battery which is too much to be caused by a reboot. Especially since other reboots cause no drop
    It's a little bit of both. It can be a larger issue in when looking at it as an outsider (12-25% seems like way to much), but for an experienced and knowledgable blackberry user...they can understand the complexity of this mobile device. It's not your standard flip phone from verizon that can do sms/mms/make/receive calls. It's a very powerful device, that does require A LOT of modules to start up on boot....so I can agree with both parties when they say 15% is too much, and the party that says 15% is fine.

I'm wondering more about the inconsistancy....not as a bad thing, but as a curiousity. Why in the morning will i only lose 5% on quickpull, but the next morning, with nothing running, after a charge, just like the morning before, i get hit with a 17% loss on reboot. Not sure why...so now i just keep my phone plugged into wall charger when rebooting.
    04-08-09 06:45 PM
    It's a little bit of both. It can be a larger issue in when looking at it as an outsider (12-25% seems like way to much), but for an experienced and knowledgable blackberry user...they can understand the complexity of this mobile device. It's not your standard flip phone from verizon that can do sms/mms/make/receive calls. It's a very powerful device, that does require A LOT of modules to start up on boot....so I can agree with both parties when they say 15% is too much, and the party that says 15% is fine.

I'm wondering more about the inconsistancy....not as a bad thing, but as a curiousity. Why in the morning will i only lose 5% on quickpull, but the next morning, with nothing running, after a charge, just like the morning before, i get hit with a 17% loss on reboot. Not sure why...so now i just keep my phone plugged into wall charger when rebooting.
    Evidence points otherwise.

According to the MeterBerry log from 16:24 to 20:29 my battery remaining stayed at 47%, which mirrors the reported 50% remaining by the battery icon.
    At 20:41 a 12% drop coincided with the software reset caused by installing the upgrade to the new version of MeterBerry.
    At 20:49 a 2% drop coincided with the software reset triggered by me to get this data.

The battery meter is off. The discrepancy seems to grow the longer the phone goes without a reset.
    04-08-09 07:59 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD