Hello. I'm on my 4th storm and I'm as unhappy with the slowness of typing and lack of memory now as I was the first month I got it. I've had about 7 or 8 months and this is my 4th one due to multiple hardware and software errors (screen no longer clicks, phone freezes, randomly restarts mid conversation, etc) I went in today because once again my screen won't click properly. The woman would only offer to replace my Phone with a refurb of the same model. I want the tour or the storm 2. She told me I hadn't had my phone replaced enough to get a different model. I asked her how many more times this thing needed to break before I could get a different model and she said Verizon has a set number but she cannot release it.

Can someone who knows please tell me, and please if you have no idea please don't even comment. This is NOT about whether the storm is a good phone or not.

I just want to know what Verizon's official policy is for switching your Storm to a comparable unit after you have brought it in with issues. How many times before they do it?
    Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 06:48 PM
    I want to say 4.
    10-29-09 06:49 PM
    I'm gonna go ahead and say user error
    10-29-09 06:53 PM
    I thought after the 3rd....but i"m nobody.
    10-29-09 06:56 PM
    IDK. I wish I had taken mine back within the first 30 days. I love the features this phone has. but it just can't work properly. All the freezing, glitches, slow loading of web pages. The software on this phone is trash. And to think it was the premium phone for the time that was getting Rimm a ton of new customers. like me. I never looked into BB, before getting my storm 1. Which i wish would work properly but it won't. BB is happy to keep selling defective phones. And VZ knows it, it's no secret. The reps in all my local VZ stores I had to visit told me of the problems.
    10-29-09 06:59 PM
    the reps told you about other people complaining about their phones... also user error

learn to use the phone correctly, and you won't hate it as much

my coworker also has a storm, and he hates it... turns out his app memory sits around 6megs

mine sits at 40megs with more apps than his

you don't know how to use your phone, and that's not the VZW rep's fault
    10-29-09 07:03 PM
    on a side note....its always 1 higher than your current count!!!!
    10-29-09 07:04 PM
    I have no issues with my Storm. HOWEVER, when i had a Dare, i went through 5 and when they wanted to give me another one i told them i was going to leave VZW if they didn't give me a different phone of my choice.

Im not saying it will work for you. But if that one also breaks i would just tell them that.
    10-29-09 07:15 PM
    I wonder how many Storm 1 "Issues" VZW has got sense the Storm 2 was released...
    10-29-09 07:19 PM
    please learn how to use it. I can make my storm dance. Learn alittle about the capabilities and what you can do to get the best out of it. If you still have problems, switch to a Trac Phone.
    10-29-09 07:25 PM
    on a side note....its always 1 higher than your current count!!!!
    So true. Let's just say that you will most likely never reach that number, no matter how many returns you make!
    10-29-09 07:26 PM
    do not go into the retail store, contact the tech depart, i have been in contact with them for about a month, they will exchange a phone for you after 3 phones. They will offer you any phone within the return matrix, they offered me the htc phone and the tour. I told them i would wait for the storm 2 or the droid. they said no problem. he suggested that i go to the store and try both of them out. I am going to the droid. the storm 2 looks good, but i have had enough of of the issues with storm. the new os 5. is great, but having issues with the screen.
    10-29-09 07:29 PM
    I had problems with my curve. I had it switchwd to an omnia because they wouldn't "allow" me to have another bb. I had 10 replacement curves first...but when I had hit the 3rd time in 6 months with the SAME problem they gave me a different phone. I talked to the techs in store and on the phone. We have a large bill monthly and they wanted to make sure they continued to get our business.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 08:30 PM
    You have to have legit reasons and have 3 replaced in a 90 day period. The reasons are at Verizon's discretion, so I can't really say what they are. I'm sorry the phone not's working, however the storm 2, from what I've read isn't any better than when the storm 1 was released.
    10-29-09 08:35 PM
    I just got Storm #7 last week. The rep told me that after 3 replacements within 90 days I could switch to the Tour. That is what Verizon has set as the upgrade from a Storm.
    10-29-09 09:25 PM
    the reps told you about other people complaining about their phones... also user error

learn to use the phone correctly, and you won't hate it as much

my coworker also has a storm, and he hates it... turns out his app memory sits around 6megs

mine sits at 40megs with more apps than his

you don't know how to use your phone, and that's not the VZW rep's fault

I know how to use my phone very well.
    The storm is a great phone once you get used to it. It does have some flaws:
    1. The touch screen only has one button, thus it is impossible to text as quickly as you should be able to.(Storm 2 corrects this, there is now a "button" on all 4 corners)
    2. The phone lacks memory. 192mb flash memory and 192 RAM is not nearly enough for a phone with such media and program capability.(Storm 2 doubles the RAM)
    3. The software is too buggy and bogs down the phones. (storm 2 has more RAM so it can handle more)
    4. The phone requires too much maintenance. ie: Battery pulls, installing 3rd party software to make the phone work as it should in the first place, extra settings need to be adjusted and the programs you can run are greatly limited because of the lack of memory. (5.0 greatly improved this)
    5. the device is not durable and has many fit and finish issues as well as crappy construction - what I mean by this... the big gaps on the bottom of the phone by the power button - that the light shines through, and most of all, the glass screen that has large gaps on all sides, so bad that if you lightly shake the phone you can feel and hear the screen banging back and forth against the sides of the phone. (not an issue with Storm 2)

I've been getting replacements not because I don't know how to use the phone, but because one of the plastic buttons fell off, the touch screen randomly died, the touch screen stopped clicking all together, the phone would not charge, and because the phone kept shutting off mid conversation, as well as many other issues. One of the most bizarre was during a conversation 10 minutes or more the phone would randomly switch to speaker phone without me even hitting it, the phone would feel hot to the touch and would randomly switch to speaker phone repeatedly and the screen would get stuck in vertical mode. This appears to be fixed with 5.0. This happened on more than one of my previous storms.
    10-30-09 04:03 AM
    Last time I did a multiFRU exchange I was told it was 3 with the same problems. Like when my Alias would constantly freeze ever time I would log into VCast, or the web, or the calculator....
    10-30-09 05:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD