Since the Storm is blazing new ground with its unique touch screen, I'm kinda curious how long the mechanism will last. My guess is that they'll refine the mechanism (ie, make it more robust) over the next year based on the experiences of the early adopters.

But if I can't wait that long and want to be an early adopter, what happens if the mechanism breaks? Is this warranty service? If so, how does BB warranty service usually work? Do I have to send it in and live without a phone for a few weeks? Are loaners typically available? Is the warranty repair process easier/better if I buy from Best Buy, VZ Retail, VZ Telesales or an independent retailer?

Inquiring minds want to know....
    11-06-08 08:33 PM
    I've been wondering that since I first heard how the mechanism works. The only person here that might be able to shed some light on that is CX. Probably be able to enlighten us after the NDA is lifted when it's released.
    11-06-08 08:37 PM
    I think It will last pretty long

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-08 08:40 PM
    just add insurance to your plan. when it breaks, go to the store & get a new one.
    11-06-08 08:43 PM
    just add insurance to your plan. when it breaks, go to the store & get a new one.
    Yeah that's what I planned on doing.
    11-06-08 08:45 PM
    I have heard that RIM and Verizon, in combination, will warranty all parts of the Storm until they break.
    11-06-08 08:46 PM
    29.6 months
    11-06-08 08:47 PM
    well I am hoping that this storm will last a while as well. at least that's what Im telling myself.
    11-06-08 08:53 PM
    Until it invariably decides to fall out of my jacket pocket - and, like buttered toast - lands face down on the ground. Or outcrop of rocks. Or down a sewer grate. You get the picture.
    Insurance! Always a good idea.
    As for the mechanism itself, I'd suspect it'd probably be at least robust enough through design testing to last at least 2-3 years of heavy use... But this is of course a first generation product and a touchscreen first for RIM itself. Hopeful, but who knows.

Worse comes to worse: Insure, it breaks, toss down sewer grate.
    11-06-08 09:12 PM
    Is the mechanism really all that novel? The fact that they've coupled a capacitive touchscreen with the ability to click like a button is pretty new and shiny, but the technology for pushable buttons itself has been around for decades now. The main point of weakness I would see in the screen might be the junction between the screen and the actual part that "clicks," but other than that... isn't it just a giant button?
    11-06-08 09:14 PM
    Is the mechanism really all that novel? The fact that they've coupled a capacitive touchscreen with the ability to click like a button is pretty new and shiny, but the technology for pushable buttons itself has been around for decades now. The main point of weakness I would see in the screen might be the junction between the screen and the actual part that "clicks," but other than that... isn't it just a giant button?
    That's sort of the impression I had. Obviously once I've actually USED it I will form my own opinions. I've heard some reviews refer it to as a mouse click. So I can only assume the actual mechanism is similar in some way.
    11-06-08 09:35 PM
    VZW offers insurance plans for their BlackBerrys.
    11-06-08 09:35 PM
    if this is like all of Verizon's other phones they will cover a warranty replacement for up to 12 months, 24 months with extended warranty. you contact Verizon tell them whats going on and you need a warranty replacement. They will normally overnight you a new device. when it gets there follow the instructions on the piece of paper the phone came with and you will be up and running in mins. we have over 200 XV6700 and XV6800 PDA's with Verizon. so i do this about twice a day.
    11-06-08 09:45 PM
    MY STORM BB screen is cracked on the top right corner with the first drop ,and then the crack traveled through the top part of the screen one side to the other ,SO I went to Future Shop and they tell me it is physical abuse ,I tell them ," I just dropped it " they say " to bad " and thats the rest of the stormy ,SO I phone Telus and they make an ajust ment on my bill and save me $10.00 a month ,and still keep the same services ,that works for me cause the repair is going to cost about $150.0 bucks ,so the repair will pay for its self in about 15 months ,it sucks ,but it works .1 way to fix
    Last edited by pablowdidit; 04-14-09 at 09:52 PM.
    04-14-09 09:49 PM
    My touch screen is cracked but it still works good ,if any one can tell me where to buy touch glass for Storm ,pls let me know ,thanks Pablowdidit
    04-14-09 09:58 PM
    Cellular Accessories - Sony, LG, Accessories Store, Alcatel, BlackBerry, HTC, Samsung, BenQ-Siemens, Do. They sell parts for most phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 10:06 PM
    04-14-09 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD