This is just my observation from having two phones with screen click and dust problems and finally getting one that works right. Initially I didn't know what I was missing until I tried a coworkers storm that has a good screen.
    When you have good screen it will be easy and effortless to click anywhere on it. Clicking on the edges and corners of the screen should take no more effort then when clicking in the middle of the screen. The entire screen should have a uniform feel and will be very easy to click. It will feel springy and should bounce back up quickly. Almost as fast as you can lift your finger. Every click anywhere on the screen should make the same clicking sound.
    I know a lot of people have done the torx screw adjustment or business card behind the battery trick. I did that too. But believe me it doesn't compare to a properly built phone.
    01-07-09 12:01 PM
    That is so true.
    01-07-09 12:04 PM
    I haven't tried a bad one yet (I've only played with three units, mine and two demo units).
    01-07-09 12:09 PM
    For me the best clicking storm out of all ones I used started off with poor clicking screen. I did not want to risk another replacement due to dust issues on my previous storms, so I modified the battery door with an electrical tape shim. It actually works and rebounds much faster now than my previous storm which clicked great out of the box. A lot less noise from clicking on this one as well while maintaining very good clicking feedback.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 12:18 PM
    So your saying if its stiff at the bottom portrait ways I should try a replacement?

01-07-09 12:24 PM
    So your saying if its stiff at the bottom portrait ways I should try a replacement?
    Whether you want to try a replacement or not is up to you. But now you have an idea of how a properly working Storm screen should work.
    01-07-09 12:33 PM

yes, I had a semi loose call button that i was bonna have replaced, after getting 3 replacements all with the click you described, I am sticking with my original. After all, it only has to last me till The VZW Bold is out in Q1.
    01-07-09 12:35 PM
    My replacement was worse than my original Storm (bought on release day). I'm assuming they sent me an older model phone. It came with just the phone alone.
    01-07-09 01:21 PM
    If the phone is working GREAT, but a slight click "issue" you THINK... I'd keep the phone... or try a fix... I used the folder paper under battery.. LOVE my Storm now.
    01-07-09 01:29 PM
    Whether you want to try a replacement or not is up to you. But now you have an idea of how a properly working Storm screen should work.

Do you work for RIM and can confirm this? Both of mines click the same and its a tiny tad bit tigheter at the bottem. Still bounces back like the click on all sections of the screen. There are physical buttons there and more weight at the bottem of phone and I find this normal. Every Storm I messed with are ALL the same way.
    01-07-09 01:31 PM
    No I don't work for RIM. This is just my observation. You will KNOW when you have a bad phone because it will definitely be much harder to click the screen in certain areas. Typically at one or more corners or edges of the screen.
    01-07-09 01:43 PM
    Every single storm i played with had different clicking action towards the bottom of the screen. I think thats simply the way they all are.
    01-07-09 01:54 PM
    Every single storm i played with had different clicking action towards the bottom of the screen. I think thats simply the way they all are.
    Really? Mine clicks the same everywhere so does a coworkers Storm. Tell me, why would RIM want to make it click different at the bottom of the screen?
    01-07-09 02:03 PM
    My first one clicked great everywhere, my new one had a tighter click at the bottom left, but it didn't hinder the the responsiveness of clicking something. Just felt odd, so I did the torx trick, which helped...now i'm only concerned that loosening a screw or two may have an affect on my phone eventually...
    01-07-09 02:19 PM
    I did the torx trick, which helped...now i'm only concerned that loosening a screw or two may have an affect on my phone eventually...
    That was one of my concerns too and one reason why I exchanged it. I don't think anybody knows what the long term effects of loosening the torx screws will have on the internal parts. Granted my last phone was pretty bad and I had to loosen each screw 3/4 of a turn.
    01-07-09 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD