Currently i have the telus browser, this browser is not capable of downloading anything. (Example OTA applications). I have come to the conclusion this is because i do not have a data plan. That being said is there a way to get a fully functional browser? All i want out of the browser is to get a few applications from the OTA page from this website, onto my phone.

Thanks
    02-11-09 05:46 PM
    are you serious? u need data to get ur browser to work! the same way you need an ISP to get internet on your computer.
    02-11-09 05:49 PM
    are you serious? u need data to get ur browser to work! the same way you need an ISP to get internet on your computer.

sorry if i made this unclear, i have internet however, i cannot download any applications. i can go on any website i want and it will work, however when it comes to downloading i get "forbidden error"
    02-11-09 06:08 PM
    you're able to browse but not download ota apps?
    02-11-09 06:08 PM
    try opening your browser, going to bb menu, options, browser config, and make sure your browser identification is set to Blackberry
    02-11-09 06:09 PM
    So what type of plan are you using if it doesn't have data?I though Telus required a data plan with a BB,so if you don't have data then you use the browser paying per use by kb?
    02-11-09 06:28 PM
    yess i can browse but nothing more. I have not got my statement from telus yet so i don't know what the charges are, however i do no i have no such data plan i (bought my phone with no contract). are u guys saying i should not be able to access the internet at all?
    Last edited by mikestyle; 02-11-09 at 07:03 PM.
    02-11-09 06:59 PM
    if you're able to access the internet you should still be able to download. that's seperate from the way your carrier bills you. there are some carriers you can pay as you go, but others require a plan. the ability to install ota is different. did u check the setting i suggested.
    02-11-09 07:10 PM
    yess i did and the setting are set to exactly what you said, i have tried multiple different setting with no luck. i still get the error:

403: Forbidden
    Access to text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor
    MIME content type(s) denied

Edit:
    Just some backround info, this has never worked since i purchased the phone. However after i went from .75 to .99 via clean install it was working fine (was able to download) until my first battery pull, then it did same as it is doing now. I just upgraded to .103 via upgrade and no luck. i figure if i do a clean .103 then i would be able to download until first batt pull. very weird i know....
    Last edited by mikestyle; 02-11-09 at 07:34 PM.
    02-11-09 07:24 PM
    mini.opera.com - Maybe you can download to desktop on your PC then move it to your BB.

Maybe that will work for you.
    02-11-09 07:49 PM
    i have looked at that however could not find a version for the storm. I guess it don't matter?
    02-11-09 07:57 PM
    ok reporting back, i got opera installed, clicked on download link, then opera opened the telus bb browser and tryed to download, and obviously i still got the some error. is there any help for me??????
    02-11-09 08:27 PM
    I'm puzzled on how your browsing with no data plan. You may end up with a heck of a bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 09:01 PM
    I think the same thing happened to me with my telus 8830 when I got a replacement phone. The problem was that I was using the WAP browser instead of the Internet Browser. If you go into your browser, go to options, browser configuration you will find a drop down menu that will allow you to select WAP browser or internet browser. You must be using internet browser to download apps. There is also an option to change the default browser for when you startup the browser. This can be found under browser, options, general properties. After you switch to internet browser, try to download again. If you still cant, check in the options to see if your phone switched back to WAP by itself, if it did you will have to send Service Books (search this in the forums if you dont know how), change options again and do a battery pull. After you do this, you should be able to download anything you want. If you can use the core app blackberry browser, then you will be able to download apps. Warning: TheChampJT is correct. I'm pretty sure Telus makes you get a data plan with any smart phone or they will not hook it up. If you some how do not have a data plan then you will be hit with a hefty bill at the end of the month. they will charge you by the MB.
    02-11-09 10:15 PM
    I think the same thing happened to me with my telus 8830 when I got a replacement phone. The problem was that I was using the WAP browser instead of the Internet Browser. If you go into your browser, go to options, browser configuration you will find a drop down menu that will allow you to select WAP browser or internet browser. You must be using internet browser to download apps. There is also an option to change the default browser for when you startup the browser. This can be found under browser, options, general properties. After you switch to internet browser, try to download again. If you still cant, check in the options to see if your phone switched back to WAP by itself, if it did you will have to send Service Books (search this in the forums if you dont know how), change options again and do a battery pull. After you do this, you should be able to download anything you want. If you can use the core app blackberry browser, then you will be able to download apps. Warning: TheChampJT is correct. I'm pretty sure Telus makes you get a data plan with any smart phone or they will not hook it up. If you some how do not have a data plan then you will be hit with a hefty bill at the end of the month. they will charge you by the MB.

Ok when i go to the options menu and browser config the only option i have is Telus WAP Browser. i do not have any other options. if i click the drop down menu nothing happens. i have already tried to resend the service books no luck there. So if i had the proper service books i guess it would enable the "other" browser? and i do not have that browser because i do not have the service book because it is not being sent from telus because im not paying for internet?

Correct?
    02-12-09 12:20 AM
    I'm not that familiar with all of Telus' products. Most or all of their phones will allow you to browse the web on their WAP browser and charge you cents/page. Even their regular PCS phones. Because you are not on a contract this might be the case. (I think its called Spark). If you really want to use your phone to its full potential you should think about getting a data plan. Some of the OTA downloads can be synced from your desktop manager to your phone. However a lot of these apps use tons of data (GPS, video) so it will be big $ at the end of the month.

You said that you tried to send the service books, were you successful? Did you receive an email on your device indicating the service books were received?

Error 403 usually means that a permission for a specific action has been denied by your BES admin. Since you are using BIS it is possible that Telus is denying that permission some how. I don't know why they would since more downloading = more money without a data plan.
    02-12-09 11:13 AM
    Ok when i go to the options menu and browser config the only option i have is Telus WAP Browser. i do not have any other options. if i click the drop down menu nothing happens. i have already tried to resend the service books no luck there. So if i had the proper service books i guess it would enable the "other" browser? and i do not have that browser because i do not have the service book because it is not being sent from telus because im not paying for internet?

Correct?
    Based on your description and the description here I believe that your diagnosis is correct. Your phone is not getting the service books for the full browser (and probably some other things as well). I would think the most likely reason is that your account is not provisioned to have these service books sent to your phone.
    02-12-09 11:23 AM
    ok so i guess im out of luck ehhhhhh, well thanks for the info everyone, this site is great.

by the way i have tried resending the service books through the "registration" way, and have also called telus, and have asked them to resend them.
    Last edited by mikestyle; 02-12-09 at 07:54 PM.
    02-12-09 07:46 PM
    If you don't have a data plan you probably don't want to be downloading OTA applications then. With a non data plan I believe the rate is $8-12 per MB (at least for tethering but I think its the same for data). So just be careful because you're going to get a big bill. If you call *611 from your handset press 1 then say "Airtime Summary" and say your pin number, it will tell you how much data you've used. Also someone above mentioned Spark but that's for non PDA phones so don't go by the data rates there as they're lower, since they assume you're using the web on a normal handset. PDA/BlackBerry will be higher, but Telus's data rates are really reasonable.
    02-12-09 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD