How does Verizon limit the the use of the Storm?

How is Verizon as a service provider compared to T-Mobile?

Can 3rd part apps be installed on the Storm? (games, ringers, etc)

I have had T-Mobile for a long time and want to know if Verizon is good or not.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    11-28-08 05:43 PM
    How does Verizon limit the the use of the Storm?

How is Verizon as a service provider compared to T-Mobile?

Can 3rd part apps be installed on the Storm? (games, ringers, etc)

I have had T-Mobile for a long time and want to know if Verizon is good or not.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Verizon - doesn't really limit the storm in many ways. Visual voicemail is not free however with t-mobile you wont even get visual voicemail on the storm. The GPS is unlocked. The rest of the device functions as expected.

VS T-Mobile - it doesn't even compare verizon has way faster data speeds and the coverage is completely better. There is a ton of people on here that will agree with me on this. T-Mobile may eventually catch up but right now there behind.

Its a blackberry. You can install anything that is compatible with the os and most that are not in compatibilty mode. You aren't limited with what you can install accept keep in mind blackberrys have a limited application storage so you cant install 80 thousand applications.

I can't say that verizon will for sure definetly be better in your area then t-mo but I would be willing to bet on it that they will. I have traveled all over the USA with my verizon service and have never had a issue worked everywhere I went.

as far as the coverage go's verizon is purchasing alltel and with that purchase they will be the leading carrier in the USA. They for the most part have the best coverage before the purchase with at&t close behind.

Hope this helps..
    11-28-08 05:57 PM
    Verizon - doesn't really limit the storm in many ways. Visual voicemail is not free however with t-mobile you wont even get visual voicemail on the storm. The GPS is unlocked. The rest of the device functions as expected.

VS T-Mobile - it doesn't even compare verizon has way faster data speeds and the coverage is completely better. There is a ton of people on here that will agree with me on this. T-Mobile may eventually catch up but right now there behind.

Its a blackberry. You can install anything that is compatible with the os and most that are not in compatibilty mode. You aren't limited with what you can install accept keep in mind blackberrys have a limited application storage so you cant install 80 thousand applications.

I can't say that verizon will for sure definetly be better in your area then t-mo but I would be willing to bet on it that they will. I have traveled all over the USA with my verizon service and have never had a issue worked everywhere I went.

as far as the coverage go's verizon is purchasing alltel and with that purchase they will be the leading carrier in the USA. They for the most part have the best coverage before the purchase with at&t close behind.

Hope this helps..

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I am thinking about giving Verizon a try after reading your comment
    11-28-08 06:25 PM
    Yeah, pretty much everything works on it, except for OBEX profile on Bluetooth. (That's file transfers.)
    11-28-08 06:59 PM
    Yeah, pretty much everything works on it, except for OBEX profile on Bluetooth. (That's file transfers.)
    No file transfers?! Damn.
    11-28-08 10:08 PM
    Verizon is definitley the best and I think the storm is the least "locked down" blackberry they offer. It is a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.
    11-28-08 10:17 PM
    I was able to transfer a picture to my friends phone using bluetooth.
    11-28-08 10:23 PM
    I was able to transfer a picture to my friends phone using bluetooth.
    same here, but now you've got me going back to the BT profiles to see what I used . . .
    11-28-08 10:29 PM
    same here, but now you've got me going back to the BT profiles to see what I used . . .
    You can send files under a certain size. On Thanksgiving, I connected up to my sisters WE, and found I could send pictures, but not large ones. I could send ringtones, but not whole MP3s or whole albums.
    11-29-08 12:35 AM
    Thanks for info, i knew I had done it. I wonder what the max size is. Does anyone know?
    11-29-08 12:38 AM
    if u pick up a vzw blackberry and have a tmobile one in ur other hand you will notice a very very big difference.

i live in the sticks. if u want to look up where i live ill gladly let u on google maps . i have full evdo here(thats full 3g data) . i browse the internet on my bb with blazing speeds.

call quality is landline like. i can't stress this enough. my mom has att. we can see the att tower and the vzw tower. i can hold her phone in one hand and my bb in the other. go around the house and her signal fades if u move a foot. and mine stays strong..

this is my opinion. cdma(vzw) signals are much better and stronger than gsm(att/tmob). i joke with my friend all the time he has tmob. and i get delv notices for my mms on my bb, and sometimes it takes his phone up to 3 hours to receive a mess i sent.

trust me. u will love vzw. all these companys are bragging they are getting badder signals and 3g. vzw has had 3g since 2002. and att and tmob are just getting them??? somethings wrong there wouldnt u say. i would try them for 30 days and as they say on the commercials if u dont love them you can go back to tmob. im sure they will be dying to take you back cause they are loosing customers like crazy.

and heres the proof that vzw launched their 3g services in 2002 3G - Verizon Wireless launches 3G services
    11-29-08 02:36 AM
    I was able to transfer a an entire mp3 song from my laptop to my Storm over Bluetooth. It was about 5 meg. It did take about 3 minutes for it to transfer so its not the fastest, but it worked. You just have to go to media> press the BB key and choose "Receive Using Bluetooth" Is it possible that OBEX transfers will be added with newer versions of the OS?
    11-29-08 05:22 AM
    Well, I don't know about the storm (yet), but on my curve, the only way file transfers via bluetooth will work is I have to go to my media folder, hit menu, and click accept using bluetooth, BEFORE the sender hits send file.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 05:32 AM
    Well, I don't know about the storm (yet), but on my curve, the only way file transfers via bluetooth will work is I have to go to my media folder, hit menu, and click accept using bluetooth, BEFORE the sender hits send file.

As far as I know that's the way it works on any blackberry. Had to do the same on my bold on at&t. As far as I can tell there is full bluetooth functionality on the storm

11-29-08 07:47 AM
    Pros:
    1. "IT'S THE NETWORK" - This isn't just marketing hype
    2. Customer Service - VZW ranks #1 in customer service

Cons:
    1. They tend to be a little more expensive - Their actual plans usually aren't that much different than the competition, but they nickel and dime you a lot for services that others throw in for free (visual voicemail, aGPS, etc)
    2. They tend to lock down their devices a lot more than the competition - though as some of the previous posters have pointed out, the Storm seems to be fairly open.
    3. They have a track record of not having the best devices (or taking forever to get them) - though again, we have been seeing a shift in this recently (for the better) with devices like the Storm
    11-29-08 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD