I am perplexed at how simple e-mail is with Blackberries. On my old phone, I had to manually send and receive, so I have a question I cannot figure out.

Assuming I do nothing with my mail server via PC or webmail, etc.:

-If my BB is turned off say for 8 hours, will I get the messages that came in during those 8 hours once I turn my phone on again?

I guess I what I am asking is... .Does my phone have to be turned on in order for me not to miss any messages? Will I be missing messages that arrive while my phone is turned off (thus replying on checking e-mail from PC)?
    12-22-08 03:39 PM
    Once you turn it on, the messages will come through. I turn my work BB off when I go on vacation, and once I turn it on upon return...all several hundred of emails download.
    12-22-08 03:49 PM
    Your old phone was an endpoint email client. A Blackberry is not. For a Blackberry, in order for email to work, an email server (either BES or BIS) hosted somewhere (either at your company or at RIM's NOC) polls the email accounts you setup on it for new emails. When they come in, that server gets the emails and sends them to your BB.

On an endpoint email client, that phone/client needs to do the send/receive from time to time to check for new emails available.

Believe it or not, the BIS setup still has a 10-15 minute polling time, but it's hardset on the BIS servers and not controllable by the end user. BES is almost instant, but then again so is a smartphone that has ActiveSync and is attached to an Exchange server for its email account.
    12-22-08 03:54 PM
    Many thanks.... It was just hard for me to think in mind what process happens.

Nonetheless, I love it.
    12-22-08 04:00 PM
    I dunno about that, I subscribe via BIS and my emails reach the phone before they reach my Gmail inbox
    12-22-08 04:02 PM
    I dunno about that, I subscribe via BIS and my emails reach the phone before they reach my Gmail inbox
    I have to agree. I send emails to myself for school from my computer and they reach my phone instantly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 04:24 PM
    Yahoo, Hotmail, and Google have predefined BIS profiles which allows for almost instant delivery to the handheld. They used to, but no longer behave as standard POP3 accounts. You can thank RIM for this one. My BIS time delay definition still applies to all other accounts though.
    12-22-08 04:26 PM
    True that jrs but really who uses anything besides those three that is non business.

12-22-08 04:38 PM
    True that jrs but really who uses anything besides those three that is non business.

Some people use an email account hosted by their ISP. Some people even configure their work accounts in BIS because their company doesn't have BES or doesn't want to spend the money on it. There's lots of reasons for possible scenarios. That's why my description covers such possibilities.
    12-22-08 04:42 PM
    I use BIS with Yahoo. It's nearly instant.
    12-22-08 04:53 PM
    With BIS, polling only applies to POP3 and IMAP that don't support IMAP IDLE. Gmail supports IMAP IDLE, which is why it is instant.

12-22-08 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD