Going on vacation and want to disable my Outlook email while I'm gone. Is this possible or do I have to delete the account altogether?
    07-23-09 02:28 PM
    From what I've read there is no way to do this in the sense that you can set to "temporarily" disable email.

If you're no BES, you can disable re-direction from the BES server, but if you're on BIS, I'm guessing you'd have to remove the account and then re-add it once you return.

Or....you could just ignore the messages (even though that can be impossible!)
    07-23-09 02:34 PM
    Not a huge deal, but annoying nonetheless.
    07-23-09 02:38 PM
    You could ask the BES admin to turn off email redirection to your device, You could turn off email redirection by going to DM under email settings uncheck the forward email to my device box, or if you don't need data access at all you could turn off data services on your phone
    07-23-09 02:46 PM
    Yeah, I don't even know what BES admin is.
    07-23-09 02:47 PM
    I get my work email through the web client so my work can't delete my blackberry when I leave.
    07-23-09 02:48 PM
    I get my work email through the web client so my work can't delete my blackberry when I leave.
    HUH? who said anything about deleting anything.
    07-23-09 02:51 PM
    If you set up email through our IT department, they have a wipe out script in case you leave. So I configured via the web client which bypasses IT.
    07-23-09 02:52 PM
    If you set up email through our IT department, they have a wipe out script in case you leave. So I configured via the web client which bypasses IT.
    So you're not actually getting the mail on your device, you're simply accessing and authenticating to a secure site through the browser which hosts your mail, correct?

If this is the case why would you need to turn this off (I don't think you can anyway)? Unless I'm not understanding something here, why not simply avoid accessing the site while you're away on vacation?
    Last edited by grgiwoyna; 07-23-09 at 03:05 PM.
    07-23-09 03:01 PM
    I believe he is using the sync via OWA method, which most IT folks frown upon (me included). Basically your BB connects to OWA and impersonates a web session to download all your mail to your device, thereby elminating the security and control the BES gives us.
    07-23-09 04:08 PM
    One thought that occurs to me, is that you can go into your email settings and change your password to where it is incorrect then your BB will not receive email because the password is wrong.
    07-23-09 04:13 PM
    One thought that occurs to me, is that you can go into your email settings and change your password to where it is incorrect then your BB will not receive email because the password is wrong.
    And lock your account out most likely
    07-23-09 04:14 PM
    I believe he is using the sync via OWA method, which most IT folks frown upon (me included). Basically your BB connects to OWA and impersonates a web session to download all your mail to your device, thereby elminating the security and control the BES gives us.
    Hmmm...interesting. OWA was exactly what I had in mind, but I wasn't aware that one's BlackBerry had the ability to connect to it aside from opening a browser session. Curious, how does it bypass RAS authentication?
    07-23-09 04:14 PM
    Going on vacation and want to disable my Outlook email while I'm gone. Is this possible or do I have to delete the account altogether?
    Oh, I guess you want to disable the entire email service, not just the messages that come to your BB. My bad guys!
    07-23-09 04:16 PM
    Hmmm...interesting. OWA was exactly what I had in mind, but I wasn't aware that one's BlackBerry had the ability to connect to it aside from opening a browser session. Curious, how does it bypass RAS authentication?
    If you don't have a BES/BPS server and want to sync your mail with exchange you can use the following method. I do not condone this method if you have an in-house BES or BPS server To integrate an Outlook Web Access (OWA) account with your BlackBerry account: 1. Connect to the BlackBerry Internet Service website and log in to your BlackBerry account. 2. On the navigation bar, click Profile. 3. Under Email Accounts, click the hyperlink other email accounts. 4. Click Add Account. 5. Type the email address, user name, and password in the appropriate fields and click Submit. 6. Under Microsoft Outlook/Exchange, select the option for I can access my mailbox using a Web browser (Outlook Web Access). 7. Click Submit. 8. In the Outlook Web Access URL field, type the OWA account URL. 9. In the Mailbox Name field, type the Mailbox name for your OWA account. 10. Verify that your email address, user name, and password are correct. 11. Select the Leave messages on mail server check box. 12. Click Submit. If everything was setup correctly you will see a green checkbox, if not a red checkbox and you will need to try again. I repeat: I do not condone this method if you have an in-house BES or BPS server
    07-23-09 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD