Am I missing something simple? I operate on a corporate bes and snych wirelessly but would also like to synch my data to my own laptop AND perform backups so when I wipe and re boot I can restore my settings easily. Last time I tried I got an error, I think it said wireless reconcile was on preventing the operation. Ideas? THANK YOU

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 08:28 AM
    You don't.

You can backup, but you can't sync.
    01-30-09 08:31 AM
    JRSCCivic98 is correct but if you want to back-up via USB you have to go into the applications that sync wirelessly and disable remote sync, connect your BB to desktop manager and set it up to sync with your laptop and sync. Once you are done syncing with the laptop you have to re-enable wireless sync if you want to continue to use BES for the applications.

Rather than me digging into my Storm to find the right menu titles and such, you'll have to find those yourself as I did via trial and error. My recollection is you have to go into the application itself and choose the settings or options. If that does not work, go into the application options via the options menu and try it there.

I did a back-up on Calendar, Contacts, Memo Pad, and Tasks.

As a former Treo owner, I was used to syncing both home and work via USB hotsync. Frankly, now that I have the BB on BES I almost never sync at home. I have synced the data at home only 3x since the Storm launch. It is really not necessary since I have BES.
    01-30-09 09:00 AM
    JRSCCivic98 is correct but if you want to back-up via USB you have to go into the applications that sync wirelessly and disable remote sync, connect your BB to desktop manager and set it up to sync with your laptop and sync. Once you are done syncing with the laptop you have to re-enable wireless sync if you want to continue to use BES for the applications.
    Backing up has nothing to do with Sync. Plug into DM and go to Backup/Restore and backup. There is no Sync.
    01-30-09 09:03 AM
    If you turn off wireless sync in your Storms Calendar- and Adressbook-Options it should work.

I tried it with my 8800 and it synced.

Unite-Server and Outlook-Sync
    01-30-09 09:14 AM
    OK, WTF?!?!? Why would anyone want to Sync via USB when BES does it wirelessly? It won't change ****. It won't make a difference. If you just want a backup, just go into Backup/Restore.
    01-30-09 09:22 AM
    OK, WTF?!?!? Why would anyone want to Sync via USB when BES does it wirelessly? It won't change ****. It won't make a difference. If you just want a backup, just go into Backup/Restore.
    You�re right. Like ever.

I only wanted to try if it would work.

Nice avatar. House addicted?!
    01-30-09 09:24 AM
    You�re right. Like ever.

I only wanted to try if it would work.

Nice avatar. House addicted?!
    lol, it was a good fit.

I never said that it didn't work like that.... just that it's not needed, since it won't really do anything. The backup part however is what's important if the user just wants a good backup every once in a while. There are things on the BB that don't wirelessly sync to BES and a manual backup would come in handy in that case or the case of an OS update (but the update does an automatic backup anyway prior to update). I was just perplexed by why anyone would want to sync via USB when they are on BES... it's redundant as heck if you're just syncing to the same account on the same server. It's just stupid.
    01-30-09 09:38 AM
    If your company is running on a bes you probably are running on exchange. Ask your IT admin if you can setup outlook anywhere on your laptop. That should help you out
    01-30-09 09:45 AM
    Backing up has nothing to do with Sync. Plug into DM and go to Backup/Restore and backup. There is no Sync.
    Sometimes us noobs ask questions but do not really know what we are asking because we get the terminology mixed up or do not understand the technology well enough. Additionally, we often use words in their generic use versus some specific meaning reserved for RIM/BlackBerry.

My response to the OP's question gave a different perspective to a question he may have asked. When he referred to "my own" laptop, I assume he does not have BES on it and probably wants to view/modify data.

Here is a problem I had to solve. There are times I am at home using my destop PC to enter things into Outlook's calendar or contacts. My home PC is not connected to BES so one way to get that data into my BlackBerry is via desktop synchonization. Since my BlackBerry "syncs" wirelessly via BES, DM will not allow the sync to occur unless I disable wireless sync.

One can call what I do with my home PC a "back-up" or "sync."
    Last edited by theswami; 01-30-09 at 10:00 AM.
    01-30-09 09:54 AM
    If we add calendar/contact entries on a machine that is not connected via BES how can we then get those entries onto the BB and eventually on the computer using BES?
    01-30-09 09:58 AM
    Sometimes us noobs ask questions but do not really know what we are asking because we get the terminology mixed up or do not understand the technology well enough. Additionally, we often use words in their generic use versus some specific meaning reserved for RIM/BlackBerry.

My response to the OP's question gave a different perspective to a question he/she may have asked.

Here is a problem I had to solve. There are times I am at home using my destop PC to enter things into Outlook's calendar or contacts. My home PC is not connected to BES so one way to get that data into my BlackBerry is via desktop synchonization. Since my BlackBerry "syncs" wirelessly via BES, DM will not allow the sync to occur unless I disable wireless sync.

One can call what I do with my home PC a "back-up" or "sync."
    No, what you do at home is a sync. An in reality, the correct setup you should have at home (to keep things exactly the same and give you the best user solution) would be to have your Outlook at home integrated with your work account via a VPN or use OWA instead to look at your work mailbox contents. That way, you're looking at the same info throughout the mailbox. What you're doing will work, but it's not the absolute correct/seamless way of doing things.

Your scenario would be a reason to use the manual sync settings listed above, but I left that out so as not to confuse people even more. The OP sounded like they were trying to sync with DM on an office based PC, which in that case would be unnecessary and redundant. In their case, they just need the backup portion.
    01-30-09 09:59 AM
    No, what you do at home is a sync. An in reality, the correct setup you should have at home (to keep things exactly the same and give you the best user solution) would be to have your Outlook at home integrated with your work account via a VPN or use OWA instead to look at your work mailbox contents. That way, you're looking at the same info throughout the mailbox. What you're doing will work, but it's not the absolute correct/seamless way of doing things.

Your scenario would be a reason to use the manual sync settings listed above, but I left that out so as not to confuse people even more. The OP sounded like they were trying to sync with DM on an office based PC, which in that case would be unnecessary and redundant. In their case, they just need the backup portion.
    I totally agree with what you said via my home PC. However, the the Calendar entries are "back-ups" in the generic use of the word. If all the BB data is gone, I do not have access to BES, the DM/RIM/BB data on the PC are deleted BUT the data is in Outlook, I could download DM from somewhere (CD/web) and somehow get the Outlook data onto the BB.

Regarding the OP, I actually read things differently because he clearly said "my own laptop." So my thought was it is not an office PC he wants to "sync"/"back-up" to because he would not have an issue to post about (I think).
    Last edited by theswami; 01-30-09 at 10:07 AM.
    01-30-09 10:03 AM
    But a backup is much better in this case... With sync you only have contacts and calendar data. With backup EVERY-DAMNED-THING!
    01-30-09 10:28 AM
    But a backup is much better in this case... With sync you only have contacts and calendar data. With backup EVERY-DAMNED-THING!
    Of course it is and the great thing is since he is on BES, he can probably get one from his IT guys (except for the 3rd party apps, maybe).

However, in my example where everything goes wrong except losing the Outlook data I have another copy/"back-up" of certain data.

Sometimes a request for what a poster thinks is the "optimal" solution is not what was asked or requested for any number of reasons. Even the veterans need to read more closely or think out of the box a little.
    01-30-09 11:31 AM
    I always think out of the box, but it used to annoy people when I simply told them their questions were incomplete because they left out important scenario descriptions. . Sometimes I'd even get lost looks. Lol

01-30-09 11:54 AM
    I think I may have confused myself even further by reading this thread...

I just recently switched from BIS to BES on my personal Storm. Can I not keep my personal (laptop) contacts seperate from my work contacts? (We use Microsoft CRM for our contact database), so the office Outlook contacts is pretty empty, but I don't want/need my personal contacts on my work email program.
    01-30-09 01:05 PM
    No, it's just one contact list on BB. If you sync from personal PC to BB, the BB will push those to Exchange through BES.

01-30-09 03:28 PM
    No, it's just one contact list on BB. If you sync from personal PC to BB, the BB will push those to Exchange through BES.
    crap - assuming same for calendar items...

Being my first BB, are their 3rd party apps that can/will split the two up for previous BB devices - that we might be able to anticipate similar apps to be released for the Storm down the road?
    01-30-09 04:39 PM
    First time posting and new bb owner. Hope this is correct thread to ask. How do I transfer music to my Storm if I am on BES and sync OTA. I would like to put music from iTunes and CDs on my Storm.

Thanks,
    02-03-09 07:45 PM
    Am I missing something simple? I operate on a corporate bes and snych wirelessly but would also like to synch my data to my own laptop AND perform backups so when I wipe and re boot I can restore my settings easily. Last time I tried I got an error, I think it said wireless reconcile was on preventing the operation. Ideas? THANK YOU

You can sync and backup. To do it, go to options > advanced options > service books and locate the Desktop [Sync] book. Hit menu > delete. Then perform the backup/restore or the sync. When you are done, just go back to service books and hit menu > undelete. This will restore your Wireless Sync to the BES.
    02-03-09 07:48 PM
    Please Remove Mods.
    02-03-09 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD