I just got my Storm a few days ago...I know that I should have waited for the Storm 2, but I had no idea. Totally clueless. Anyway, the free memory is running about 28 mb and I'd like to free up more. There is no sample Blackberry video to erase...instead there is this asinine Babylon AD video that is 18mb of memory. I want to delete it but can't figure out how. It is located in the system memory under the folder labeled "Samples." The menu key will let me delete the entire folder, but that would mean all of the ringtones, pics, etc., in that folder. When I open just the video folder, the menu key offers me no option of deleting either the folder as a whole or the Babylon AD video inside of it.

How can I get rid of this disaster of 18mb of nonsense? If I delete the entire Sample File, is that a bad thing???? While I no longer be able to choose among ring tones or wake up tones if I do so? Help!
    09-17-09 01:38 AM
    Download a program called filescout. Then use it to go to system>samples>videos then delete it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 01:43 AM
    I just got my Storm a few days ago...I know that I should have waited for the Storm 2, but I had no idea. Totally clueless. Anyway, the free memory is running about 28 mb and I'd like to free up more. There is no sample Blackberry video to erase...instead there is this asinine Babylon AD video that is 18mb of memory. I want to delete it but can't figure out how. It is located in the system memory under the folder labeled "Samples." The menu key will let me delete the entire folder, but that would mean all of the ringtones, pics, etc., in that folder. When I open just the video folder, the menu key offers me no option of deleting either the folder as a whole or the Babylon AD video inside of it.

How can I get rid of this disaster of 18mb of nonsense? If I delete the entire Sample File, is that a bad thing???? While I no longer be able to choose among ring tones or wake up tones if I do so? Help!
    You need to use FileScout to remove all locked media. You should also check out the Increase File Free thread in my sig?

On a side note, i hope you dont regret your decision too much when Storm 2 hits the shelves!

Edit: Are you new to BB? I would also recommend you reading the BB101 Lecture Series
    09-17-09 01:43 AM
    The Best way to get app memory is by using shrink a OS. Download shrink and whatever operating system you want then shrink out all the stuff you don't want like that video backgrounds foreign languages etc. Check the how to section on installing operating systems and the third party apps board for shrink a os info.

09-17-09 01:48 AM
    Thanks! I used File Scout and was able to delete a number of items. Being a newbie, I'm a little bit terrified of putting in a new OS. It sounds great...but I'm not sure that I'm technologically savvy enough to do it.
    09-17-09 01:57 AM
    You don't need filescout to delete "All" sample folder contents. Go to media. Then press bB button and hit explore. Open system and delete the samples folder. Just don't go in the samples folder as it won't let you delete individual items just the whole folder. Only drawback is that it erases alert tones but no biggie. Use your own ringtones.

09-17-09 01:59 AM
    On mines is 10megs big so I consider it a big advantage deleting it. May be bigger or smaller in other devices

09-17-09 02:01 AM
    Yes, I saw that option...to delete the whole folder...I just wondered if that would have any negative effect on my future use if the whole samples folder was gone, ringtones and all.
    Thanks! I used File Scout and was able to delete a number of items. Being a newbie, I'm a little bit terrified of putting in a new OS. It sounds great...but I'm not sure that I'm technologically savvy enough to do it.
    Great! Dont be scared, just read, read, read, and then read some more! Spend the time to learn all things BB and learn your device inside and out and you will be fine. Follow the instructions and know about the OS you are plannung on loading before you load to know what to expect. Also know how to unbrick and bring back to life if need be.

BB's are very resilient little buggers and learning and tinkering with them is half the fun. Read the lecture series as well as the how tos/tips threads and you will be good to go. Feel free to PM with if you have any questions or need any help.

Welcome and Happy Learning!
    On mines is 10megs big so I consider it a big advantage deleting it. May be bigger or smaller in other devices

Yes, I saw that option...to delete the whole folder...I just wondered if that would have any negative effect on my future use if the whole samples folder was gone, ringtones and all.
    FileScout will delete and remove anything including what is locked. Very nice feature!
    09-17-09 02:03 AM
    This does not free up app memory though, or does it?

09-17-09 10:47 AM
    i am new to blackberry too but through reading here i decided to jump into leak. its juat .167 as i still am a little sqimish with the 5.0 bugs but if the .230 leaks i will try that one. good luck!

09-17-09 11:01 AM
    This does not free up app memory though, or does it?

Read Increase File Free thread in my sig
    09-17-09 11:34 AM
    I downloaded and installed Filescout and when I try to delete Babylon I confirm the delete and I get "No WRITE-Access to file "BabylonAD.mp4. I looked on the Emacberry site and cant find and info on this. Any idea why it will not work for me?

Update. It started working. Great App
    Last edited by jgmace; 09-17-09 at 11:47 AM.
    09-17-09 11:39 AM
    I downloaded and installed Filescout and when I try to delete Babylon I confirm the delete and I get "No WRITE-Access to file "BabylonAD.mp4. I looked on the Emacberry site and cant find and info on this. Any idea why it will not work for me?

Update. It started working. Great App
    Thats weird! You can check here for more info or post questions http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/bbf...tories-175654/
    09-17-09 11:59 AM
    Can I use this to delete the items in the Instant Messaging folder? Windows Live Yahoo etc?
    Last edited by jgmace; 09-17-09 at 12:58 PM.
    09-17-09 12:55 PM
    Can I use this to delete delete the items in the Instant Messaging folder? Windows Live Yahoo etc?
    Nope! Those are just launchers and are pushed in service books! Just put in a folder and hide so you dont have to look at them!
    09-17-09 12:57 PM
    Thanks Appreciate it
    09-17-09 01:00 PM
    No worries!
    09-17-09 01:00 PM
    I just got my storm a few weeks ago and I some how removed this movie trailer from my storm.

I believe I did it when I hooked the storm up to my PC. I have the Storm set to become another drive (2) when I link up. I went in to movies and I believe it was there that I saw the trailer listed. I right clicked on it, high lighted delete and it was gone.
    09-20-09 01:53 PM
    I still deleted this just by simply going to Media Icon application. Then clicked on Video's in the list is Babalon. Just highlight it then click the Blackberry icon to veiw the menu & Select Delete. Then it's Gone!!!

WOOOOOOoooo HOOOoooooo 18MB of more memory.

JoeBerry9530
    11-12-09 09:53 AM
    Same here. I just deleted like any other file. No special apps and such.
    11-12-09 10:27 AM
    I di the same thing as JoeBerry and I got no memory gain? Also on File Scout - i got the upgrade version. I went to system folder and it says that folder is not accessible on this device? Anybody gotten this? Thanks.
    11-12-09 11:30 AM
    ...I went to system folder and it says that folder is not accessible on this device?...
    From the developer:

please note, that RIM have decided to block any 3'rd Party application to access the System Folder in OS5.x (at least in the available Beta versions) - there is no way for FileScout to get around this restriction - with that it's not possible with FileScout to delete any preinstalled content that is located in the System Folder of your Storm or Bold. Please do not blame FileScout - RIM have made this decision to block any access for what ever reason and this might change with further releases of OS5.x.

forum.emacberry.com • View topic - OS5.x & FileScout & System Folder [Bold|Storm]
    11-12-09 11:48 AM
    Thanks for that answer. That explains it.
    11-12-09 11:51 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD