BBM5 now introduces the possibility to scan QR Code barcodes. They did so in a way that allows URL codes to be scanned and opened in the browser.

This tutorial will show you how to create a QR code to include on business cards or other to easily share contact information.
    1. Create your vCard file using Outlook, using an online service such as vCardMaker (Note, vCardMaker gives you text at the end, simply paste in a text file and save to a file with the .vcf extension) or use the following template below to create your own file (copy and paste in a text file using notepad, and save the file with the .vcf extension. Editable files are delimited by < >. Some fields repeat themselves, they do for a reason. If they have the same name, they should hold the same value. If you do not want to use a field, leave it empty and delete the line.).

Code:
      BEGIN:VCARD
      VERSION:2.1
      FN:<BBIgnored, FriendlyName>
      N:<Last>;<First>;;<Title>;
      X-SALUTATION:<Title>
      ORG:<Company>
      TITLE:<Job Title>
      TEL;TYPE=WORK:<Work Phone>
      TEL;TYPE=WORK:<Work Phone 2>
      TEL;TYPE=HOME:<Home Phone>
      TEL;TYPE=HOME:<Home Phone 2>
      TEL;TYPE=CELL:<Mobile>
      TEL;TYPE=PAGER:<Pager>
      TEL;TYPE=FAX:<Work Fax>
      TEL;TYPE=X-RIMPIN:<BB Pin>
      X-Other #:<Other Phone>
      EMAIL;TYPE=PREF;TYPE=INTERNET:<First Email>
      EMAIL;TYPE=INTERNET:<Second Email>
      EMAIL;TYPE=INTERNET:<Third Email>
      ADR;TYPE=WORK:;<Work Address 2>;<Work Address 1>;<Work City>;<Work State>;<Work Zip>;<Work Country>
      ADR;TYPE=HOME:;<Home Address 2>;<Home Address 1>;<Home City>;<Home State>;<Home Zip>;<Home Country>
      X-Home Address1:<Home Address 1>
      X-Home Address2:<Home Address 2>
      X-Home City:<Home City>
      X-Home State/Prov:<Home State>
      X-Home ZIP/Postal Code:<Home Zip>
      X-Home Country:<Home Country>
      X-URL:<Web Page>
      URL:<Web Page>
      URL;TYPE=HOME:<Web Page>
      URL;TYPE=WORK:<Web Page>
      X-User1:<User 1>
      X-User2:<User 2>
      X-User3:<User 3>
      X-User4:<User 4>
      NOTE:<Notes>
      END:VCARD
    2. Upload it on your website (use drop.io service or similar if you don't have one).
    3. Use a QR Code generator in URL mode, paste in your URL, generate the code.
    4. Scan and test away!
    There is also a free service which allows to do that. Viscards.com will generate and host your vCard, as well as create your QR Code. But I rather have control over my information.

The end result looks like that. Go ahead and scan it using BBM!

Disclamer: The vCard Barcode above is one randomly found on the end and is not me.
    Last edited by FineWolf; 10-11-09 at 11:52 PM.
    10-11-09 06:53 PM
    I updated the post with more information.
    10-11-09 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD