Is it even possible? I am off for a month long trip to europe and want to possibly use my phone over there.
    Last edited by BolivianFuego; 07-17-09 at 05:37 PM.
    07-17-09 05:32 PM
    07-17-09 06:18 PM
    is it not required to have your storm unlocked to do this?
    07-17-09 07:50 PM
    is it not required to have your storm unlocked to do this?
    yes it has to be unlocked for gsm use first. you can either use the sim that came with the phone or pick up a prepaid one overseas from a local provider.
    07-17-09 07:55 PM
    yes it has to be unlocked for gsm use first. you can either use the sim that came with the phone or pick up a prepaid one overseas from a local provider.
    Not entirely true. The Storm can be used as is overseas as long as you let Verizon know and make sure that they activate the SIM card. The only reason to have it unlocked is if you plan on using a different SIM than the one that came with the Storm.
    07-17-09 09:04 PM
    Not sure that VZN needs to do anything. I had thought that they just wanted you to know the prices were higher. In Houston, the Captain said to turn off all..... and I did. Taxing at Charles de Gaulle, when the Captain said you could...I did and my Storm immediately started working over the Vodafone network. I found that there are places in Paris where the locals pride themselves on no service - I swear ! Anyhow, most of Paris worked great.

Doctor Neutron
    07-17-09 09:45 PM
    Not entirely true. The Storm can be used as is overseas as long as you let Verizon know and make sure that they activate the SIM card. The only reason to have it unlocked is if you plan on using a different SIM than the one that came with the Storm.
    So it doesn't have to be unlocked as long as you're using the vzw sim? That's actually kinda funny because damn near everyone on CB was led to believe right from the beginning that it had to be unlocked if it was going to be used on any gsm carrier regardless of location. I don't know, I'm just going by what I've read on here countless thousands of times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 09:55 PM
    You could unlock it if you want to use a local carrier's account and sim card, but that's a lot of trouble to save very little money. You probably have better things to do with your time. Simply use Verizon's sim card, which comes with the phone, and call Verizon to get the global unlimited plan. It will work without calling Verizon, but they will charge you an exhorbitant fee per minute and per kilobyte. So be sure to call them. You also need them to activate your sim card if it isn't already. See the threads I linked above for details.
    07-17-09 10:09 PM
    So i dont need to get my phone unlocked? So its better to get a verizon global plan? Cause i plan on possibly using the phone over there, i am going to greece.
    07-18-09 12:06 PM
    Talk to Verizon about the plans. The only reason to unlock the phone is if you want to put a new SIM card in. You do want to talk to Verizon though and make sure that the current SIM is activated, or it will not work. This is easy for them to do and won't cost anything, but you definitely want to make sure they check it before you leave.

I used my storm over here for about two weeks before I finally called and got it unlocked so that I could use a prepaid SIM from Orange.
    07-18-09 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD