Sometimes my Storm charges while it's plugged into my computer and sometimes it doesn't.

How can I get it to charge via my USB connection to my computer?
    03-26-09 08:18 PM
    what kind of computer is it connected to? desktop or laptop?

Newer Dell laptops will only "power" (ie. give the ability to charge vs. just use/connect to the device) the rear usb ports when plugged in to A/C power or something like that.

just a thought
    03-26-09 08:23 PM
    what kind of computer is it connected to? desktop or laptop?

Newer Dell laptops will only "power" (ie. give the ability to charge vs. just use/connect to the device) the rear usb ports when plugged in to A/C power or something like that.

just a thought
    I don't think this is the case.... I have tried charging from a Dell while plugged into a wall outlet and it shows the charge symbol sometimes, and others it doesn't even show the charge symbol. I also have a car USB power adapter to the Cigarette lighter, and it is rated the same power rating as the official BB wall charger, and it too did not charge my storm. I finally went out and bought a dedicated cigarette lighter charger for use with the storm, and it works just fine. I believe there is a "Rapid" charging circuit, and that regular USB to micro cable adapter only allows a "trickle" charge that will not charge the phone if the phone has any power on.

Just my observations.

Cheers,
    B.D.
    03-26-09 08:43 PM
    It's a Dell Desktop.

I always plug it into the same computer.

Sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn't...?
    03-26-09 08:43 PM
    Are the BB drivers installed on your computer?
    03-26-09 08:44 PM
    I beleive it could have charged and when done charging it will quit... I read BB's do this when finished charging?? Hope this helps.
    03-26-09 08:46 PM
    Do you have any other devices that you can try to charge on the same USB port?
    03-26-09 08:46 PM
    Are the BB drivers installed on your computer?
    I do have the bb drivers installed, and this is when the Storm is 1/2 charged (or 1/2 run down, if you're pessimistic), but still it just sits at the same charge level while the "charge" symbol is displayed on the phone... I plug it in to the wall, and voila - quick charge (within 1/2 an hour to 1 hour at full charge).
    03-26-09 08:50 PM
    Could it be that I am at 100% now and that's what is causing the lightning bolt to not show?
    03-26-09 08:51 PM
    I do have the bb drivers installed, and this is when the Storm is 1/2 charged (or 1/2 run down, if you're pessimistic), but still it just sits at the same charge level while the "charge" symbol is displayed on the phone... I plug it in to the wall, and voila - quick charge (within 1/2 an hour to 1 hour at full charge).
    Charging via USB is definitely slower than via a wall socket, even when you're using the same cable; I've taken the cable I use to plug into USB and put it into a wall adapter, and the charge is faster, so I don't think it's necessarily a function of the cable itself. Probably just the speed at which a USB port is allowed to dispense power.

To Dankees, yes, the lightning bolt will go away if you're at 100%. You mentioned that you always plug into the same computer, but do you also plug into the same USB port? On some computers, the backside USB ports are powered while the front side ones are not.
    03-26-09 08:54 PM
    Could it be that I am at 100% now and that's what is causing the lightning bolt to not show?
    Yes,
    Once you hit full charge the charging icon goes away. At that point it becomes a "trickle charge" and only supplies enough power to the device to restore what its using so you wont see that icon.

Any computer with a USB 2.0 plug, which is standard, should be able to charge it w/o an issue. I've charged it at home, my Macbook Pro, and at work all w/o issue.
    03-26-09 09:00 PM
    Yes, always the same plug. I will try to run it down and see if I can plug it in and get the lightning bolt again. Thanks.
    03-26-09 09:11 PM
    I think I can add something....

had the same problem (slow charging from laptop USB compared with auto or wall charger).

Thinking that one USB port couldn't provide enough power, I tried a Y-usb cable (2 male connectors to a single mini usb). I got this cable with an external hard drive that needed more power than a single port could provide.

Bottom line, it worked. My bold charges at normal speed.
    05-25-09 07:57 PM
    For a notebook, turn off the USB Selective Suspend setting for while on power in your Power options. This one caught me on my notebook. Sometimes it would change and sometimes not. This will let it always charge, as long as you are plugged in on your notebook.
    05-26-09 04:26 PM
    Charging via USB is definitely slower than via a wall socket, even when you're using the same cable; I've taken the cable I use to plug into USB and put it into a wall adapter, and the charge is faster, so I don't think it's necessarily a function of the cable itself. Probably just the speed at which a USB port is allowed to dispense power.

To Dankees, yes, the lightning bolt will go away if you're at 100%. You mentioned that you always plug into the same computer, but do you also plug into the same USB port? On some computers, the backside USB ports are powered while the front side ones are not.

Will using the USB port in my ford Fusion charge my storm? I take long trips in the car and MAN does that blu tooth/sync system suck the life out of a battery.

-Alan
    06-04-09 06:30 AM
    People reported in another thread that sometimes with GPS active and the screen set to not dim, their phone battery slowly discharged while plugged into USB. The USB spec only allows for 500mA of current. I have an aftermarket 12V to USB adapter that provides 1000mA, I forget what the charger that came with the storm provides...

The USB port on your Fusion should charge your Storm as long as it provides power.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 07:58 AM
    For a notebook, turn off the USB Selective Suspend setting for while on power in your Power options. This one caught me on my notebook. Sometimes it would change and sometimes not. This will let it always charge, as long as you are plugged in on your notebook.
    You should mention this is if he's using Vista OS.
    06-04-09 08:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD