Can anyone tell me how I can replace my storm, since I purchased it on Ebay. Im not a Verizon customer either, so this creates a problem.
    My device restarts every so often, probably 3 to 4 times a day and I have tried every single upgrade and still no fix!!!!

If I can RIM directly, do you think they will replace the phone?

Any ideas anyone?
    02-02-09 11:12 AM
    Contacting RIM seems to be your only option since you're not a Verizon customer. You may want to check to see if the mfg warranty is transferrable first though. Did your phone come with the user's guide? I'm sure that info is in there somewhere.
    02-02-09 11:15 AM
    I think the warranty is property of the bearer. You can call RIM at 519.888.7465, they might be able to help you out at the head office

Don't know if there is a country code for Canada...anyone?
    02-02-09 11:48 AM
    I think the warranty is property of the bearer. You can call RIM at 519.888.7465, they might be able to help you out at the head office

Don't know if there is a country code for Canada...anyone?
    That is correct, the warranty doesn't transfer when sold on sites like e-bay, etc. I would still contact RIM and see what they can do if anything.
    02-02-09 11:49 AM
    thanks for the info.... will try and see what happens.... if not, I will need to purchase another phone or something like it....... I love this phone, but Im not willing to change my service provider since I've been with them for over 10 years.....
    02-02-09 12:03 PM
    wow, Im really surprise on the way RIM treats its customer....... Ive had a blackberry for over 6 years and have not changed it, but never the less, they do not support people that call directly without charging them. Additional to this, if the phone is "unlocked" even by Verizon, they consider the phone out of warranty!!!! THIS really sucks! 'cause they dont want to do an exchange of the unit, and they state that it is only a software issue........ I've tried all the softwares that have come out and that does not resolve the issue!!!!..............
    02-02-09 12:51 PM
    yeah, that's terrible. I guess this should be a warning to everyone else who's thinking about buying it from anyone other than the auth retailer.
    02-02-09 12:59 PM
    You bought it on ebay and are using it on an unauthorized provider what do you expect ? You didn't buy it from rim, you are not rim's customer. You are a customer of the ebay seller and your current provider. Plus unlocking the device for use on an unauthorized carrier voids the warranty. Its the using it on an unauthorized carrier that void the warranty not the unlocking by Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

02-02-09 01:38 PM
    if RIM supported end users, you'd be paying alot more for your blackberry.
    02-02-09 01:42 PM
    even if I purchased it from ebay, the phone is RIM's and should have the warranty. Either case, called agian, explained it to a supervisor, and had the issue resolved.
    There is nothing ilegal in this, I purchased a phone (same if I would had gone to Best Buy and paid retail (which I also did)) and called Verizon to get the sim unlock.
    What they say, is the Verizon is responsible for the tech service to that phone, so eveything should go through there.... and they are right no that........
    Hopefully this resolves my problem!
    02-02-09 02:21 PM
    If you have a phone that is exclusive to a carrier and you unlock it to use on a different carrier then the warranty is voided. Simple as that. You are not a verizon customer and as such they have no obligation to you.

02-02-09 02:42 PM
    wow, Im really surprise on the way RIM treats its customer....... Ive had a blackberry for over 6 years and have not changed it, but never the less, they do not support people that call directly without charging them. Additional to this, if the phone is "unlocked" even by Verizon, they consider the phone out of warranty!!!! THIS really sucks! 'cause they dont want to do an exchange of the unit, and they state that it is only a software issue........ I've tried all the softwares that have come out and that does not resolve the issue!!!!..............
    There is no way to know what was done with that phone since you purchased it on EBay and now running it on a non ZW network. If you were a VZW customer either VZW would help you or if they do not know they would conference RIM in and resolve the problem.
    02-02-09 02:57 PM
    even if I purchased it from ebay, the phone is RIM's and should have the warranty. Either case, called agian, explained it to a supervisor, and had the issue resolved.
    There is nothing ilegal in this, I purchased a phone (same if I would had gone to Best Buy and paid retail (which I also did)) and called Verizon to get the sim unlock.
    What they say, is the Verizon is responsible for the tech service to that phone, so eveything should go through there.... and they are right no that........
    Many manufacturers will only warrant the product for the original owner and require a receipt. Cameras are an example. Not all warrantees are transferrable.
    02-02-09 03:00 PM
    Just an idea but try a full wipe of the phone then re-install software. Or try to contact the ebay seller about it.

Two random solutions... worth a try.
    02-02-09 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD