I am a new BB user, just connected my storm and my head is spinning. I have downloaded a user guide here:
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...01404_umts.pdf

But im still lose because it assumes i know how to do some stuff that i dont know how to do.

For starters, it says this:
    Transfer a file between your device and your computer using the Roxio Media Manager

1. Connect your BlackBerry� device to your computer.
    2. On your computer, open the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Media.
    4. In the Media Manager section, click Start.
    5. Click one of the following options:
    * Manage Pictures
    * Manage Music
    * Manage Videos
    6. In the left pane, click the Folders tab.
    7. Drag a file or folder from one location to another.
    Well, i have dragged and dropped all over the place and my videos and pics still dont show on my phone. Is the a "Synch" button or something to finalize the move?

So i tried to just drag it using my computer, it says this:
    Transfer a file between your device and your computer using mass storage mode or MTP
    Mass storage mode and MTP enable you to transfer files between a media card in your BlackBerry� device and your computer when you connect your device to your computer.

1. Connect your device to your computer.
    2. If mass storage mode or MTP is not turned on, in the device options, click Memory. Press the Menu key. Click Enable USB Mass Storage or Enable Media Transfer Protocol (MTP).
    3. On your computer, double-click My Computer.
    4. In the Devices with Removable Storage section, double-click Removable Disk.
    5. Drag a file from one location to another.
    Well, it says go to device options to turn on MTS or mass storage or something, whee do i find these options??

I havent even begun to setup email or anything else, this was my first attempted task and im baffled.

And i bet its so simple i will feel stupid once you tell me, but for now i really can use some help.

Sorry to bother with such idiotic questions, i will try and limit them to this thread so if you get tired of me you can just skip over this one.

Thanks,

Rich
    12-17-08 10:58 PM
    also i asked this in another thread but didnt get an answer, ill add it here ...

i have desktop manager open, where is the option to synch my contacts? i dont see anything about contacts actually
    12-17-08 11:00 PM
    i am so frustrated right now, didnt anyone else feel like this?

I have been fooling with it for a couple hours, i have gotten nothing accomplished and now its laying on my chest charging becuase i dont know what the heck else to do

how did you guys all learn so quick? I wok in technology, and am a gadget guy, and i thought this would be much easier.

what am i doing wrong?
    12-17-08 11:06 PM
    To turn on mass storage mode: Options > Memory> scrol till you see auto enable mass storage mode, change to yes or promt. i like promt.

when you connect the berry to your computer youll get two new storage devices in My Computer. one is the SD card the other is the on board memory. look at the size to see which is which.

as far is synching your contacts. open the desktop manager and click on synchronize. from there select synchronization on the left side under configure. from there select synchronization. now you should be able to select what you want to synchroniz and which program to associat it with.

hope this helps
    12-17-08 11:11 PM
    ok i did that and associated it with my outlook, hit finish, hit synchronization

still no contacts on phone. am i missing some step?

i even unplugged phone and plugged back in to initiate the synch, but it didnt work
    12-17-08 11:35 PM
    ok for moving movies ... i have the speedracer preview saved on computer ..

Roxio media manager is open, i selected split screen

on the top i browse to the folder with the movie and select it

on the bottom i see the 2 blackberry devices, i click on the "media card" one, and then go to Blackberry>Videos

then i drag the video into this folder.

Shouldnt it be on my phone??
    12-17-08 11:39 PM
    i am so frustrated right now, im going out of my mind

i am no dope with electronics, i keep up with the latest gadgets constantly, i work in technology! And i cant figure this **** out.

Sorry for ranting, but i wated so long for this and its finally here, and i cant do anything with it.

can someone help? Im sure this is simple stuff for you guys
    12-17-08 11:44 PM
    ok yes mass storage is enabled.

once again i located the device and put a video into the video folder, the device is connected of course, shouldnt it be instant? WHERE IS THE VIDEO?!

it shows in the video folder but not on the phone. Is .mp4 correct?

i also put images into the pictures folder, and i cant see any of them.

wtf is going on?
    12-18-08 12:09 AM
    ok buddy, sounds like your in a hurry. can't say i blame you. let me try this on my storm and i'll let you know what i did.
    12-18-08 12:43 AM
    you won't see the video until the device is unplugged from the pc. also confirm you're dragging the video to the video folder on the media card .

unplug it..go to media/videos/ and you should see a progress bar as the blackberry reads the media card and when complete you will see the list of videos you transferred.
    12-18-08 12:45 AM
    keep in mind when you are in mass storage mode the media card is not able to be read on the phone.. you have to release the device from the computer..

then when you go into media player it will be there.

Its not instant depending on how big the file is.
    12-18-08 12:46 AM
    ok, continuing from your other thread..lol

i know this may be a stupid question, but do you have a memory card in the device? if you do, go to options, then memory. now press the menu key, and select format, this will place all the appropriate folders on your memory card. now the second thing i would do is not use roxio anymore. its total crap, and you can do everything you need to without it. connect your storm to your computer, and it should recogize it as an external drive. this is saying that you properly turned on mass storage mode. if you didnt earlier, watch the screen of your storm, when you plug it in, it will give you the option to do this at this time. now, go to the my computer icon on your computer, double click to see your drives. you should now see your blackberry on it. you may see 2 becasue of the internal memory of the device itself. you'll want to find the larger of the two drives as this will be your memory card. if you are using the card supplied with the storm, it'll be about 8 gigs worth. now double click this drive. you'll see a folder, i think its labeled blackberry, just keep clicking until you find i think its 4 more folders. they are labled according to the type of media that they will link to on your storm. video, pictures, ringtones, voicenotes, and music. now take a few pics from your computer and drag and drop them into your pictures folder. do the same with some mp3's in the music folder. when you're done, unplug the phone and open up the media on your storm. now go to pictures, and you should see your photos there. do the same for the music and it should all be there.
    12-18-08 12:48 AM
    As far as music goes, I used windows media play (version 10) and it found my storm. I just had to click ok when it asked to name the storm. I dragged music from the library to the blackberry (called Blackberry SD by default). Now let me look at the video and pictures....
    12-18-08 12:48 AM
    sounds like you're starting to get some good responses here. just keep trying and you'll get it, its not that bad, and once you get it, like all tech things, you'll be like "oh damn, that was it?"
    12-18-08 12:49 AM
    also i asked this in another thread but didnt get an answer, ill add it here ...

i have desktop manager open, where is the option to synch my contacts? i dont see anything about contacts actually

there is a synching options button in which case you have to tell it what to synch with on your computer..

I am not sure which version of outlook you are using..

this would be useful information for us.

when you click on synchronize in desktop manager a screen pops up with check boxes one of them is organizer data.

make sure that one is checked..

dont click synchronize yet.

on the left side there is a couple other options under configure synchronization and add-ins click on synchronization on the far left side.. THEN you will see a screen with 3 buttons on the right side synchronization which reads to the left configure synchronization for my desktop program. In that menu is were you have to tell it what to sync with.

Keep in mind the button will be greyed out if your bb isn't plugged in.
    Last edited by noaim; 12-18-08 at 01:07 AM.
    12-18-08 12:59 AM
    To turn on mass storage mode: Options > Memory> scrol till you see auto enable mass storage mode, change to yes or promt. i like promt.
    This is great information! Makes my life way easier!
    12-18-08 07:34 AM
    Ok looks like media is all set! I wasn't unplugging the phone LOL

Now how about contacts? I did set it to sync with outlook but I have no contacts on phone. Ideas?

Thanks all
    12-18-08 08:54 AM
    I will ask again..

what version of outlook our you running
    12-18-08 03:55 PM
    I will ask again..

what version of outlook our you running
    2007 ... i actually figured out what the issue was here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/add...ntacts-118322/

i had contacts in folders, which BB doesnt recognize apparently

thanks though! This thread is all settled
    12-18-08 04:19 PM
    didnt want to make a new thread .. can someone tell me how to get my device to show up again in my computer?

i did a wipe, then put the new OS, now its not showing

damnit i feel like such an invalid with this thing
    12-18-08 04:56 PM
    didnt want to make a new thread .. can someone tell me how to get my device to show up again in my computer?

i did a wipe, then put the new OS, now its not showing

damnit i feel like such an invalid with this thing
    grrr..

with the things your having going on you shouldn't have done a wipe yet..

now we may have a whole new set of issues..

;(

the thing is were trying to walk you through things..

and if you just randomly decide to change the direction we have no clue where you are or what you have actually done..!!!!!!!
    12-18-08 04:58 PM
    grrr..

with the things your having going on you shouldn't have done a wipe yet..

now we may have a whole new set of issues..

;(

the thing is were trying to walk you through things..

and if you just randomly decide to change the direction we have no clue where you are or what you have actually done..!!!!!!!
    ops!

actually the 2 issues i mentioned in this thread (contacts and media) i believe are now settled.

And i asked 3 times in different threads if it makes sense for my to put the .76 in even if my .75 seems to be working fine, and i never got an answer ... so i figured it couldnt hurt
    besides, trust me i didnt get far with setting things up lol ... all i had was

contacts, and a movie and a picture hehe

but now i dont even have that, because i cant find my device anymore ROFL!

EDIT, ok all set ... i fired up Roxio and it showed me my devices
    Last edited by rsarno; 12-18-08 at 05:22 PM.
    12-18-08 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD