I have read that the storm has light leaks real bad. I bought mine a few days ago and it had light leaks ALL AROUND THE SCREEN! How rim allowed that to go through is beyond me.

Anyway, here's how to fix this with OEM results. Btw, check you tube for a visual disassemble. I show here details thst you tube does not so hope it helps.

- get rid of you nerves, its not that hard.
    - remove battery and sd card, no need to remove the sim card.
    - you need a needle and hair dryer to start.
    - heat the red (-) sticker a little bit than use the needle to gently pull it up.
    - remove the torx screws (i believe its a t6).
    -you will only see TWO of them after you removed the red sticker.

- now remove the camera lens cover by going UNDERNEATH it with something very thin and plastic. I used a razor blade but I was VERY careful. The cover is only GLUED ON. You will be able to install it right back so dont worry.
    -remove those two screws.
    - turn the unit over and remove the front bottom cover. you do this putting your THUMB nail on the left side of the cover (BELOW THE SEND AND END BUTTONS) AND PULL UP AND FORWARD A BIT. Than do the other side, t will just pop out. It also has a LITTLE glue holding it but comes right up.

- Now remove the two screws there.
    - Now remove the electric ribons, there are 2 right next to each other. NOTE: you do NOT need to remove anything else. Gently raise the board and slide out the screen.

- now use some sticky black tape to seal the SIDES OF THE SCREEN ONLY. Do not let the tape run down to the bottom of the screen. Btw, I used tape called BLACK OUT which is used for blacking out chrome on cars.

Well, now just put everything back together. Warm up the sticker and also the back camera cover and front cover to make the glue warm and put them back.

I will post pics of how the screen looks now. Btw, you can also use take to cover the front side of the send and end buttons to stop the light leak as well.

The end result is FANTASTIC! The storm looks so good now in the dark.
    02-27-09 05:06 PM
    Dude I Am Glad That Worked For You, But There Is No Way In **** I Could Or Would Ever Do That, Good Luck With Rest Of Your Tinkering.
    02-27-09 09:45 PM
    Final Step....file insurance claim staying "it fell out of the car going 80 on the freeway".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 09:56 PM
    "It dropped out of my pocket and now the lock and silence buttons don't work." <----not that i've used that excuse to get my new storm or anything. . . what?
    02-27-09 10:00 PM
    I forgot to mention that disassembling just the phone is actually not that bad, so what Mod Man posted shouldn't be too hard to do. You just have to watch out for a few things:

1. Under the camera lens cover, there is a strip of foam just under the 3.2MP tag. Be careful not to tear this when prying off the cover, as I can only guess it's there to keep dust out.

2. In no way, shape, or form attempt to take off the top cover where the lock button/blackberry tag is. There are wires tape/glued to both sides and that's how i. . . this guy i know screwed up his phone trying to switch out my bezel. lol

3. good luck!
    02-27-09 10:06 PM
    yeah...that is a little scary!!
    02-27-09 10:07 PM
    Dude I Am Glad That Worked For You, But There Is No Way In **** I Could Or Would Ever Do That, Good Luck With Rest Of Your Tinkering.
    Why is every word capitalized here?

02-27-09 10:09 PM
    Why is every word capitalized here?

Beginning letter of each word needs to be capitalized....
    oh...wait... thats sentence.
    02-27-09 10:34 PM
    "It dropped out of my pocket and now the lock and silence buttons don't work." <----not that i've used that excuse to get my new storm or anything. . . what?
    HA NICE!!!
    02-27-09 10:58 PM
    Pics or it didn't happen! j/k BUT I would like to see the pictures.
    02-27-09 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD