I am having camera issues and my last option is a complete wipe and restore. I backed up my phone already. Does this back up store all of my phone settings and everything so it will be the same as it is now or do I have to change stuff again?

Also, how does the wipe work? I tried using Jl Cmder and got to the screen that says type blackberry so I typed blackberry and nothing happened. When I hit enter, it just goes back to the main screen. I assume I have downloaded the program right if I can get that far. How do you get it to initiate the wipe?

When restoring, if I am putting the official .75 back on, I don't need to download in desktop manager since it shows up there already correct?

Thanks.
    02-10-09 06:28 PM
    1.) yes if you havent changed any of the back up settings in DM, it will restore everything to exactly how it was when you did the back up.

2.) It sounds like your software is installed right. Just make sure the phone is connected to the computer and the computer is recognizing it. Otherwise the wipe wont be initiated

3.) If you have the .75 downloaded then youre all good to go. I find it easiest to load thru apploader which is located in the Research In Motion Folder on your computer
    02-10-09 07:37 PM
    I did a wipe using jl cmder, but had to leave the battery instead of removing it like the instructions said. However, while experimenting with the battery off, and trying to do the wipe, i tried to do the next thing restore to factory settings. The window asked for version 4.3. Now, my question is:Are storms delivered from factory with a "low" version of the OS and then upgraded by the carriers to 4.7? If so, it is possible to load a lower version, like say 4.6 though who would want to do that?
    02-10-09 08:09 PM
    Does this back up store all of my phone settings and everything so it will be the same as it is now or do I have to change stuff again?
    Yes and no. It will backup everything except for your third party apps. In order to backup the apps you must use the device switch method.

Also, how does the wipe work? I tried using Jl Cmder and got to the screen that says type blackberry so I typed blackberry and nothing happened. When I hit enter, it just goes back to the main screen. I assume I have downloaded the program right if I can get that far. How do you get it to initiate the wipe?
    What a wipe does is remove the OS and all files associated with it from the ROM of the device. That is why you get the 507: Reload device software screen when you do the wipe.

Download this version of the JL_Cmder (http://www.blackberryfreaks.com/down...der%20v1.9.zip). After it downloads, unzip and run the Install.cmd file. Now connect your device and double click the JL_Cmder.cmd file (if running vista, don't use the run as administrator option). Follow what is on the screen. This will wipe the storm.

When restoring, if I am putting the official .75 back on, I don't need to download in desktop manager since it shows up there already correct
    Yes, just open up the app loader and select the .75 OS to install.

As a side note, you don't have to do a wipe with JL_Cmder before installing any OS. You can just pick to install the .75 OS and the installation will do a wipe before installing the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 08:10 PM
    I did a wipe using jl cmder, but had to leave the battery instead of removing it like the instructions said. However, while experimenting with the battery off, and trying to do the wipe, i tried to do the next thing restore to factory settings. The window asked for version 4.3. Now, my question is:Are storms delivered from factory with a "low" version of the OS and then upgraded by the carriers to 4.7? If so, it is possible to load a lower version, like say 4.6 though who would want to do that?
    I've never had to remove the battery when doing a wipe with JL_Cmder. In fact, I have never seen it instruct to remove the battery. As for which OS the storm runs, it has only run the 4.7 OS since release.

02-10-09 08:20 PM

As a side note, you don't have to do a wipe with JL_Cmder before installing any OS. You can just pick to install the .75 OS and the installation will do a wipe before installing the OS.

Thanks for the help guys. So if I am already running .75 OS, I just install .75 over my current one and it will wipe then reload .75? Also, thanks for mentioning the 3rd party apps bc I forgot to back them up.
    02-10-09 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD