I'm new to all this Blackberry malarkey, but the other day I backed up everything from my Blackberry ex. 3rd Party Apps. Today I updated to the new .141 OS and when I went to 'restore' the stuff I had backed up previously, it said something about my desktop not recognising the files.

When I backed up the phone everything was put in a zip file: Backup.cab, I unzipped everything but now when I go to restore it says there are no .ipd files (Back up files)

I can see the music and images on my PC so I know it has actually backed up some data from my Blackberry, there is a load of other files within the Backup.cab folder. In 'Main' There is sub-folders of, odp2, odp-conf, user. Within these sub-folders there is loads of files that don't have extensions, they are just named as lists of numbers, with the files ranging from 1kb - 67kb.

Now, I am either being stupid and missing something obvious that I am unaware of because I don't really have a clue what I'm doing, OR, I have backed the phone up wrongly and have lost all my data. (Please don't let it be that one!!!)

Help please!!!

James
    05-08-09 08:13 AM
    You are not going to like this but the normal backup file for settings, contacts, calendar, etc. is an .ipd file. For 3rd party apps, if you follow the guide, is a .alx file. Can you explain exactly how you backed it up?
    05-08-09 08:53 AM
    I just opened Desktop Manager, and clicked on 'Back Up'. It didn't encounter any problems or anything, and definitely did back up some of the phone as I have all my music, images and videos on the PC.
    05-08-09 09:13 AM
    Hi
    I had the same problem going up to .141, in dm if you click on advanced, it found a 'on device back up', and I selected everything individually that I wanted restoring, contacts/e-mails/bluetooth settings etc.
    05-08-09 09:31 AM
    If I open DM and click Backup it immediately wants to create an .ipd file. Unfortunately I think you might have done something wrong.
    05-08-09 09:34 AM
    I think you may be right!
    05-08-09 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD