Here is the story: The other night I dropped my Storm in the toilet. Dried it off and everything worked as nothing had happened. Being safe I did a backup of the device without a problem. The next day my Storm would not turn on and I deemed it dead. I used my insurance and got a replacement device today.

Here is the problem, the replacement device does not have a browser. I did restore the previous information I had so I got all of my contacts back but it says that I don't have any browser configuration service book entries. I am able to make and receive calls and text messages.

I called tech support and they took me through the following steps:

1) Registered Host Routing Table
    2) Resent Service Books
    3) Several battery pulls
    4) Registered Host Routing Table again
    5) Resent Service Books again
    6) More battery pulls
    7) Registered Host Routing Table again
    8) Complete wipe of handheld
    9) Registered Host Routing Table again
    10) Another battery pull

With all of this being done still no browser. The tech person said the device was defective and that they would send me another from the insurance company. This device is brand new in a sealed box. I am thinking there has to be some way to get this to work.

I have another one coming but I would really like for this one to work and be done with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    03-31-09 01:59 PM
    can you browse any internet pages?

If not, sounds to me like an access point issue. Your internet APN is built into the blackberry access point which your provider puts on at network level. I bet they didn't check to make sure. Did they give you a new sim card? Or just handset?
    03-31-09 02:03 PM
    No I cannot visit any web pages. The only way I was able to get into the browser was by going to an old email message that had a link to a web page. The phone does not have a browser button.

PS. They gave me an entirely new sim card and handset.
    03-31-09 02:32 PM
    Have them push the BIS service books back down to your device. That should fix your issue.
    03-31-09 02:58 PM
    No I cannot visit any web pages. The only way I was able to get into the browser was by going to an old email message that had a link to a web page. The phone does not have a browser button.

03-31-09 03:08 PM
    I did resend the service books to myself and I got nothing from it. I still have no browser button on the home screen. I had the verizon rep send the service books and I did it myself through the bis website.
    03-31-09 03:14 PM

My apologies if I'm "stepping back" too far. But, if you were able to get in the browser through a link, were you not able to go "home" or pull up any other pages? And, meaning no disrespect (I've "lost" them before), have you checked the Apps folder and/or made sure it's not hidden? (I have no other input, figured service books and a register would fix it too...)

edit: I know you can't "uninstall" or "delete" the browser application, but can you remove it from the service books and resend again?
    Last edited by pi_admin; 03-31-09 at 03:33 PM.
    03-31-09 03:29 PM
    My apologies if I'm "stepping back" too far. But, if you were able to get in the browser through a link, were you not able to go "home" or pull up any other pages? And, meaning no disrespect (I've "lost" them before), have you checked the Apps folder and/or made sure it's not hidden? (I have no other input, figured service books and a register would fix it too...)

edit: I know you can't "uninstall" or "delete" the browser application, but can you remove it from the service books and resend again?
    I went to the browser by clicking a link through an email. I purchased a theme and they sent me an email with the link. When I click that link it tells me

"Your device does not currently have any Browser Congiguration Service Book Entries"

"Please contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device."

Now once I hit ok it gives me the blackberry browser screen I can then hit the menu button and it gives me go to option and I can even enter a different address but it gives me the message above.

I did choose the show all option in case it was hidden somewhere and it wasnt.

It may also help to mention that the email I am getting the link from is an old email that I got when I did the backup. If I do not do the backup I will show no emails and I am unable to receive them.

The device is flawless in all other aspects and I was surprised to see this one was made in Hungary. It is very sturdy compared to my previous two that were made in Canada and Mexico. I would like to keep this one if I can get the email and browser working.
    03-31-09 04:02 PM
    So I got it fixed and here is what happend:

I knew that the phone was good so I called verizon tech support back and got a differen't person. I had said all along that the phone seemed as if it didn't have the data package on it.

Finally the second person I talked to looked and said that it didn't have the data package.

Long story short I now have my replacement working and another replacement on the way because the first rep said my phone replacement was defective.

I am just glad to have a new phone that is working.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    03-31-09 05:59 PM
    Told you it would need the data access point their end

Glad you got it sorted.
    04-01-09 08:27 AM
    If you don't have the browser icon on a new or replacement device, it's ALWAYS the carrier not having it on the right plan. Don't let them tell you otherwise. I went through the same ordeal and waste of time. Any device after that incident which came up without a browser, I called carrier's tech support and insisted they check the plan.
    09-25-09 10:56 AM
    So I got it fixed and here is what happend:

I knew that the phone was good so I called verizon tech support back and got a differen't person. I had said all along that the phone seemed as if it didn't have the data package on it.

Finally the second person I talked to looked and said that it didn't have the data package.

Long story short I now have my replacement working and another replacement on the way because the first rep said my phone replacement was defective.

I am just glad to have a new phone that is working.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Had a very similar issue a few years ago when setting up someone's BB and we had an issue getting it workng with the BES (if I'm remembering correct - again, it's been a few years). Her Inbox wasn't receiving new mail messages/calendar even 24 hours later.

Our BES admin insisted everything was fine on our end. I advised the user to contact Cingular (as noted, it was a few years ago) and have their support ensure the data plan was setup on their end. CS rep #1 insisted that the data plan was in place and that the issue was on our end and needed to be reinstalled. I went back to the user's office the following day, uninstalled the DM, rebooted, deleted the associated RIM directories and started from the beginning - same issue. Advised the user that the problem was on the provider's end and that, despite what they'd told her, they had missed something and would need to determine where the issue was. The user was very skeptical, didn't believe what I was telling her (despite having absolutely ZERO experience with a BlackBerry, she was convinced the issue was on our side) but relucatantly called Cingular again that night.

The user sent me an email the following morning offering an apology stating that she'd called Cingular, spoke to another CS rep, explained what was happening and that he/she was able to determine almost immediately that the data plan had never been put in place. Once they "threw the switch" on their end it was shortly afterward that her email starting filtering in and her calendar populated. Naturally, you can imagine the utter satisfaction I had composing a reply message with a very diplomatic "TOLD Ya"!

Glad you stayed the course, stuck to your guns, spoke to another rep who knew what to look for and got your device (which you ALREADY knew was fine) working properly!
    09-25-09 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD