I think I posted this in the wrong place last night, so I thought I'd try again...sorry for the duplication but I'm dead in the water.

One thing I seem to have narrowed down since last night - It appears to be a Suretype problem.

I also notice a small icon on the upper right of the screen I do not recall seeing before - a sort of flattened-out square with up and down arrows above it. If I press it a small blue arrow appears, but nothing else happens.

I've had my Storm for a few weeks and other than a few glitches with syncing to ACT (ACT, not Rim issues) it's terrific.

Today, though, it suddenly went completely weird - when I try to reply to email (or type ANYTHING) in landscape/QWERTY mode I get a screen with groups of letters: WXYZ TUV PQRS
    ABC DEF GHI JKL
    MNO

The number-screen button is in the right place, as are the backspace and enter buttons.

The bottom row is normal - shift, space, etc. I hope the format came out in the post (it didn't - the groups are spaced all over the keyboard). Obviously there are simply blank, non-operable "buttons" between the groups. It's like it's in multitap mode, but I've tried every option and it will NOT come up right.

The portrait mode is also fouled, but I never use it (however since it's messed up it may give a clue to someone a lot more experienced) - in Mutitap mode it's fine, but Suretype has a similar weird group of letters and blank areas - so to me it looks like something has gone screwy with Suretype, except I can't find any options for it at all.

I've shut it off and on, re-sync'd it...I don't know if there is anything in the options/advanced options that can be changed (nothing was obvious). I'm, not familiar at all with the operating system and many of the desktop-related sync settings are baffling after years of Palm use. I'm using desktop and Companionlink to sync it to ACT, which works OK although I have gotten a weird line of data in every contact's history that I can't get rid of (that only shows on the Storm, not in the ACT database) - I don't know if that is related.

One Companionlink early on had me change something in the "service book" section; again, no idea if that's related (I still haven't found a decent description of what "service books" do, exactly).

I'm completely stumped. Is there a way to fix this, or is it hosed and do I need to go to Verizon?
    Last edited by Silverface; 03-11-09 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Adding new information
    03-11-09 08:05 AM
    I have the same issue. I have wiped the device and freshly installed the OS with no luck. Any ideas would be amazing.

Cheers,

I think I posted this in the wrong place last night, so I thought I'd try again...sorry for the duplication but I'm dead in the water.

One thing I seem to have narrowed down since last night - It appears to be a Suretype problem.

I also notice a small icon on the upper right of the screen I do not recall seeing before - a sort of flattened-out square with up and down arrows above it. If I press it a small blue arrow appears, but nothing else happens.

I've had my Storm for a few weeks and other than a few glitches with syncing to ACT (ACT, not Rim issues) it's terrific.

Today, though, it suddenly went completely weird - when I try to reply to email (or type ANYTHING) in landscape/QWERTY mode I get a screen with groups of letters: WXYZ TUV PQRS
    ABC DEF GHI JKL
    MNO

The number-screen button is in the right place, as are the backspace and enter buttons.

The bottom row is normal - shift, space, etc. I hope the format came out in the post (it didn't - the groups are spaced all over the keyboard). Obviously there are simply blank, non-operable "buttons" between the groups. It's like it's in multitap mode, but I've tried every option and it will NOT come up right.

The portrait mode is also fouled, but I never use it (however since it's messed up it may give a clue to someone a lot more experienced) - in Mutitap mode it's fine, but Suretype has a similar weird group of letters and blank areas - so to me it looks like something has gone screwy with Suretype, except I can't find any options for it at all.

I've shut it off and on, re-sync'd it...I don't know if there is anything in the options/advanced options that can be changed (nothing was obvious). I'm, not familiar at all with the operating system and many of the desktop-related sync settings are baffling after years of Palm use. I'm using desktop and Companionlink to sync it to ACT, which works OK although I have gotten a weird line of data in every contact's history that I can't get rid of (that only shows on the Storm, not in the ACT database) - I don't know if that is related.

One Companionlink early on had me change something in the "service book" section; again, no idea if that's related (I still haven't found a decent description of what "service books" do, exactly).

I'm completely stumped. Is there a way to fix this, or is it hosed and do I need to go to Verizon?
    03-30-09 06:45 PM
    You guys changed your keyboard form. What you do is go to options>Screen/Keyboard<and then scroll down to where it says Portrait View Keyboard<Change it back Suretap. If I am right it should say you are currently in multi-tap.
    03-30-09 08:19 PM
    Did that help you?
    03-30-09 10:06 PM
    I had this problem when I first got mine. A battery pull solved it.
    03-30-09 10:08 PM
    You guys changed your keyboard form. What you do is go to options>Screen/Keyboard<and then scroll down to where it says Portrait View Keyboard<Change it back Suretap. If I am right it should say you are currently in multi-tap.
    This doesn't work for this problem at all. SureType works just fine in portrait mode. It's the landscape mode that's the problem. Although, there's also a problem w/ the dialing pad. Only the numbers 4, 5, 8, 9 are available to dial.
    04-21-09 12:38 AM
    I had this problem when I first got mine. A battery pull solved it.
    OMG!! I just tried this and it worked!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

although, now I kinda feel like an *****. haha.
    Thanks again.
    04-21-09 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD