HEY EVERYONE HOWS IT GOIN?? so i got a question.i read about people getting new storms and what not and other stuff on the dust issue..well ive had my storm since the first day it came out and has some teeth marks that my puppy gave it on the top right hand corner..also has hellllllllllllla dust under the screen which is starting to get annoyinG.i got insurance should i go in and get another one because i think theylll probably do it or should i report it stolen and keep it for media player and what not?what you guys think?thanks
    Last edited by pkcable; 04-26-09 at 07:00 PM. Reason: made title more descriptive
    04-26-09 06:53 PM
    Choose the honest route and take it in to replace it.
    04-26-09 06:56 PM
    I'm with K0ugar, make a damage claim...

Welcome To Asurion's Online Resource Center
    04-26-09 07:02 PM
    Call them up and tell them you dog destroyed it.$50 and you get a replacement phone. If your making a insurance claim I guess I don't know what the issue is. You would only swap phones on a warranty claim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 07:10 PM
    Damage claim

04-26-09 08:19 PM
    In my opinion, if you are paying for the 5.99 which covers lost, damage , and tech problems. I would bring it in with the dust being my complaint. The dust under screen should be considered a fault on their part and they should replace. Dust UNDER your screen should not be happening so VZW should replace it for that reason alone. If you can go that route, it won't cost you a dime to replace. And to all the dorights, dont get mad at me for sharing this info but I have to share this.
    IF YOU CAN'T GET VERIZON TO REPLACE THE PHONE AND HAVE TO GET ASSURION TO REPLACE IT THROUGH A INSURANCE CLAIM, ALWAYS REPORT THE PHONE LOST AND HERE IS WHY:

First off, you can report it damaged but they will want the phone to be returned. I personally feel even if I pay $1 for a phone, that phone is mine to keep and do with as I please. I am not gonna give a phone I paid for back to the company so they can replace a few parts and sell it again. They threaten to charge you for phone if you keep the old one. I have never been charged , but why take the chance.
    Second, if you report it stolen, I have been asked for a police report. And the phone is tagged as stolen. If it shows up on someones account that could cause problems. Not sure what would happen, but again, why take a chance.
    The deal is, if you report a phone lost. What is to say you don't find it a week from now. The phone is just shut off and not categorized as a stolen phone. At the end of my contracts I always "lose" phones(up to 2 every 12 months) to make sure I "find" them at a later time as backups. They will ask when you lost the phone, so make sure you don't use it after the date you lost it untill after the claim is closed. Example: Using your phone in the morning then trying to claim it that evening saying you lost it yesterday is not smart. They can see when the phone was used last.

Insurance claims cost $50 through Assurion so I always try to egt the store to replace first.

Some people will find this dishonest, but as I said before I am not paying to rent a phone. When I give them my money, I have bought that phone and will not let another company confiscate and resell it. Now, once they start doing free insurance claims, I will gladly give them my old phone. Until then.....plenty backups this way
    04-26-09 08:23 PM
    Wow, that was a lot of words to say nothing more than "I am a thief". What you are recommending is FRAUD, plain and simple.

Maybe you can explain to me what "free insurance" is? Do you have it for your car or home?
    04-26-09 10:32 PM
    Wow, that was a lot of words to say nothing more than "I am a thief". What you are recommending is FRAUD, plain and simple.

Maybe you can explain to me what "free insurance" is? Do you have it for your car or home?
    First off, I'm not a thief so you can kiss my *ss on that comment.

Second, my point is. You pay full price for your first out the box phone right? Most of the time yeah or at least 2 year price. If I pay the asking price of a new storm or any phone for that matter, why should I have to pay $50 for a used one plus $6 a month for the insurance plus return my fully paid out the box phone that will be sold for $50 bucks to someone else. I call that theivery, if that's how u spell it.

If you feel im a thief thats your opinion, but after being with Verizon this long and getting screwed around with bills, phones , etc... I call it payback. Plain and simple.

Also, I see you upgraded your OS. Isn't a leak kinda like stolen software not meant to be released to the public yet. Just throwin that out there. People have different ways to cheat the system.

Sorry I offended you assurion rep
    Last edited by parnellj83; 04-26-09 at 10:50 PM.
    04-26-09 10:45 PM
    What I meant by free claims was no deductible. I mean you pay for the service. Shouldn't the phone you give back be enough as payment.
    04-26-09 10:54 PM
    In my opinion, if you are paying for the 5.99 which covers lost, damage , and tech problems. I would bring it in with the dust being my complaint. The dust under screen should be considered a fault on their part and they should replace. Dust UNDER your screen should not be happening so VZW should replace it for that reason alone. If you can go that route, it won't cost you a dime to replace. And to all the dorights, dont get mad at me for sharing this info but I have to share this.
    IF YOU CAN'T GET VERIZON TO REPLACE THE PHONE AND HAVE TO GET ASSURION TO REPLACE IT THROUGH A INSURANCE CLAIM, ALWAYS REPORT THE PHONE LOST AND HERE IS WHY:

First off, you can report it damaged but they will want the phone to be returned. I personally feel even if I pay $1 for a phone, that phone is mine to keep and do with as I please. I am not gonna give a phone I paid for back to the company so they can replace a few parts and sell it again. They threaten to charge you for phone if you keep the old one. I have never been charged , but why take the chance.
    Second, if you report it stolen, I have been asked for a police report. And the phone is tagged as stolen. If it shows up on someones account that could cause problems. Not sure what would happen, but again, why take a chance.
    The deal is, if you report a phone lost. What is to say you don't find it a week from now. The phone is just shut off and not categorized as a stolen phone. At the end of my contracts I always "lose" phones(up to 2 every 12 months) to make sure I "find" them at a later time as backups. They will ask when you lost the phone, so make sure you don't use it after the date you lost it untill after the claim is closed. Example: Using your phone in the morning then trying to claim it that evening saying you lost it yesterday is not smart. They can see when the phone was used last.

Insurance claims cost $50 through Assurion so I always try to egt the store to replace first.

Some people will find this dishonest, but as I said before I am not paying to rent a phone. When I give them my money, I have bought that phone and will not let another company confiscate and resell it. Now, once they start doing free insurance claims, I will gladly give them my old phone. Until then.....plenty backups this way

Your logic is ridiculous. It is called insurance fraud.....
    04-26-09 10:54 PM
    Well, like I said, alot of dogooders wont like it. But it is a much better option than claiming it stolen.

Youll probably say yeah for the sake of arguing with me, but if you lost your phone, made an insurance claim and received your refurb. Used your phone for three months and one day came across your old phone in your sofa I guess. Would you then call Assurion and say, "hey I found my old phone, please send me a shipping label so I can return it." or would you keep it.
    04-26-09 10:59 PM
    ya you need to make an ins. claim man cause if you report it stolen your basically committing ins. fraud i work for at&t warranty escalations desk and deal with this stuff all day do the ins. claim bro.....
    04-26-09 11:06 PM
    I wouldn't jump straight to an insurance claim on this. If the dust issue is present check with Verizon and are if they will replace it. If not go with insurance. Whether insurance fraud or not parnells logic while different is easy to agree with. I am unaware of any other insurance policy where you pay a monthly yearly or limp sum payment for protection then you pay more when you need it AND they require you to give them a defective device or item. Think car insurance, something gets messed up you pay your deductible and you still have your car. My Dell Studio XPS, hardware fails I get new hardware at no extra cost to me. Honestly it seems like Asurion is getting a better part of the deal when you return the device because of an issue not covered by Verizon.

I say this with never doing this myself. The only claim I made was with a Curve since it found the bottom of the dogs water bowl. I can just agree with the justified logic here.

04-26-09 11:55 PM
    Once a phone is reported lost/stolen it can never be used again. The esn is locked down. You can't use it as a back up phone.

I just hope these people who enjoy cheating the system aren't raising their kids that way.
    04-27-09 01:25 AM
    +1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-27-09 03:48 AM
    Once a phone is reported lost/stolen it can never be used again. The esn is locked down. You can't use it as a back up phone.

I just hope these people who enjoy cheating the system aren't raising their kids that way.
    That's not entirely true.
    My previous phone was given to me by a friend after he reported it lost.
    Didn't have any problems with the ESN change or anything.
    04-27-09 05:28 AM

That is not true I promise you. You definitely can use a lost phone again. I have lost phones and found them and used them again. They definitely do not lock up the esn that way.

Shouldn't we teach the next generation to be smarter than us and evolve? Or let them make the same mistakes we do?

Once again, to my understanding a leak is stolen information released to the public before the owning company intends for it to be. I know you didn't steal it, but technically you cheat the system by not waiting for an official upgrade. I know it's a different ballpark but all in all still cheating.

I speaks da troof
    04-27-09 05:48 AM
    Look, I am not trying to start a thread war here, I was just trying to suggest the best way to claim AND keep your phone. I don't consider returning to store and VZW replacing an actual insurance claim. They do that under product warranty. This will be my last responce unless somebody else has something dumb to say.

I am a very honest person regardless of what you think. IMO if you buy a phone, you buy it. I just hate the fact you pay for a phone, you pay for insurance MONTHLY, but if your phone breaks. you pay a reduced price for a USED phone and then are expected to return your old phone to be cleaned up and sold to the next joe. That I don't agree with and that's why I do it. Now if replacement phones were free, I wouldn't feel cheated by having to return my phone. Once again, I am not here to fight, just thought I'd show him a better way to claim it rather than saying it's stolen. That is all.
    04-27-09 06:04 AM
    Well, like I said, alot of dogooders wont like it.
    I would say a lot of honest people won't like it....
    04-27-09 06:07 AM
    I would do the honest thing and take it back to verizon while it's still under warranty.
    04-27-09 06:22 AM
    Dust under screen can be returned warranty. The teeth marks are insurance claims. It's a coin toss. Either way, please return the phone and don't report it stolen. Fraud is never good.
    04-27-09 06:25 AM
    every now and then you get the goobers from the bowels of the internet making threads about this kind of stuff.
    04-27-09 06:47 AM
    As for insurance claims, I did the honest thing when my wife dropped her phone which was a 2 week old 8830. I called the insurance company about getting a replacement and they sent me a refurb unit. I understand it is there policy but when I pulled it out the box the keyboard was crap did not work like it needed to. Buttons were so stiff they did not move. When I called to get another replacement they told me they had none in stock and that I was stuck with the unit being it was pink. I was not happy with what I was told and how much through the years that I have paid for insurance on several different phones through the years. What I actually did was take apart the phone that they sent me and used it for parts on the phone that I had. sent what was left and all is well now.
    04-27-09 06:48 AM
    GO make the complaint about the dust first. You could probably even call into verizon and complain about the dust, then a store rep, who will most likely do anything to get out of getting you a new phone will never have to see it.

Also note, you might have to make a few calls to verizon with different reps till one give you a replacement phone. Call it in this way they dont see the bite marks.

04-27-09 07:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD