My Storm spontaneously combusted over night. I can't remember if I turned it off before going to bed, or accidentally left it on over night. Whatever the case, it's dead. At first I thought it was a drained battery, so I charged it for a half hour in the morning. I figured it was a good sign when the red light came on when I plugged it in. I unplugged it a half hour later, but I still couldn't turn it on. Since then I've let it charge for another hour with no luck turning it on. I hauled out my USB cable, but the BlackBerry device manager won't recognize the device (probably because it's not on!).

When I plug my phone in to a charger (USB or otherwise), the red light comes on, but that's the only sign of life in my phone. I've pulled the battery a dozen times. No luck! Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences? Any advice?
    06-12-09 08:57 AM
    My Storm spontaneously combusted...
    Gavin's Point Dam! I was hoping it accually started on fire!

Never had anything like this happen to me. Have you upgraded or changed anything in the last few days?
    06-12-09 09:03 AM
    Nope, haven't done anything special the last while. Prior to last night / this morning, it had been running fine.
    06-12-09 09:06 AM
    This may be a battery problem. Even with it plugged in, if your battery won't hold a charge, your phone won't work. You should try borrowing a battery you know works. If your phone still doesn't turn on then you may be S-O-L. But I wouldn't give up on it without first replacing the battery...

Good luck and keep us posted.
    06-12-09 09:26 AM
    I would treat it like a bricked phone. The symptoms you are experiencing sounds like the phone is bricked. If the battery had been totally dead, then when you plugged it in you would have first gotten the battery icon letting you know it was charging.
    06-12-09 09:28 AM
    Had the same issue a few days ago on a Pearl. Red Light (double blink) not booting up, black screen. Try this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/

Basically have ONLY ONE os installed on your PC and follow instructions on how to force the install to device.
    06-12-09 09:29 AM
    Thanks - I think you're right. Must be a battery problem. I just saw the first sign of life (in three hours): my screen is now white with a picture of a battery and a lightning bolt through it. Maybe I'll pop out to the store at lunch and try a new battery!
    06-12-09 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the link. Seemed to be the same symptoms as I'm having!
    06-12-09 09:31 AM
    I wish mine would spontaneously combust. Lucky!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 09:34 AM
    Hey! Posting my problem on crackberry fixed it! My phone finally turned on (after trying for three hours!). My battery is is at 2% but at least my phone booted up and the battery is charging!
    06-12-09 09:44 AM
    The battery may be going, but it could also be that your battery was totally dead and in that case it takes a bit of charging to get signs of life again. Keep a watch on it and if you keep having problems get it replaced it is covered by your warranty.

Also I edited the titled because it did not accurately reflect the content of the thread. And remember to ....(from our Forum Posting Rules)......

Use a Descriptive Title
    This rule is simple; help us to help you. When you create your thread / post, think of it as if 'somone else' is reading it. With that in mind, make your subject lines related to the content of your post. Having a subject line of 'help' or 'now what', will not really help others later when they do a search for a particular issue. So, try to be a little more creative. Example: “My Pearl will not show myFaves icons” or “How do I use BB Maps on my 8100”
    06-12-09 09:52 AM
    Thanks - I think you're right. Must be a battery problem. I just saw the first sign of life (in three hours): my screen is now white with a picture of a battery and a lightning bolt through it. Maybe I'll pop out to the store at lunch and try a new battery!
    I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago with an OEM battery. I switched back to the BB battery. On a whim a couple of days later, I retried the OEM battery - the problem was gone.

I have no explanation for what happened except that I had a business card behind the battery when it died.
    06-12-09 12:18 PM
    Well whatever my problem was, it fixed itself. I must have left my phone on overnight and it took three hours of charging in the morning just to get the battery up to 2% - enough to boot the phone and complete charging!
    06-12-09 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD