Ok...I became hooked on CB since finding out about the storm months ago.

Since then, I've been actively keeping up-to-date with the latest status and preparing myself to be one of the first to get the Storm.

THEN...just the other day, I came across a comparison of touch screens, that included the Samsung Omnia. WOW...that's a nice phone.

So when you compare the specs of the Storm with the Omnia...it's a pretty hard choice...well for an "independent" you know...

So I need help getting back on the BB side.

Things about the Omnia that as pulling me? 5 Megapx Cam, Radio...there was one more thing but I can't recall at the moment.

phonearena.com/htmls/compare_advresults.php?phones%5B0%5D=2965&phones%5 B1%5D=3128&area=1
    09-29-08 07:33 AM
    You need persuasion about stable BB OS versus Windows?

Actually, the Omnia is an impressive device, but if I were to find a WinMo type device to compare to the Storm, I'd pick the HTC Touch/Touch Diamond...that's a really impressive blend of form and function as well, the TouchFlo is a nice interface as well.

Having been a user of a BB 8800 for a bit over a year, I like the reliability of the device, how it functions. Granted there are stock parts that I don't like (BB's browser leaves a lot to be desired), but even these pretty new windows devices are hampered by windows itself after a while...requiring a force closing of apps, etc.
    09-29-08 07:49 AM
    Plus don't quote me on this but a very reliable friend of mine, **No names mentioned they have dropped out of the insider game** mentioned we might be getting the samsung omnia. So *shrug* something to look forward to after the storm maybe?
    09-29-08 08:03 AM
    ...requiring a force closing of apps, etc.
    You have to close apps on BB platform as well to keep the memory in check. What's your point? 6.1 allows for the user to customize how they want the X button to function. Click and hold for full close of app or click for full close of app. 6.0 didn't have this and required to run Memory Mananger to close the apps truly.
    09-29-08 08:54 AM
    Am I the only person who finds the touch-flo interface on the HTC really annoying? Just seeing videos of it makes me want to grab the phone and throw it. It is very slow, slower than the iPhone's interface. With a Blackberry, everything is quick, you press the button, and you're there. The touch-flo crap takes forever to do something. Anyone else agree?
    Stick with Blackberry's OS. It is the best one I have used as far as stability, speed, and efficiency goes. Windows Mobile is well...Windows...but smaller.
    09-29-08 09:47 AM
    I agree. I have seen some videos and its SLOW. I have heard though that the newer interfaces are MUCH more fluid. So who knows...
    09-29-08 10:00 AM
    I had a diamond here for one of our clients. I played with for a couple of days. Compared to other windows mobile devices ive used it is by far the best. it was smaller than i thought it would be and it does lag a little sometimes but not much. the text input is very impressive when you push a letter it actually reacts when you push it instead of a few seconds later i got pretty fast with it using T9 and the number pad. my favorite part of the phone is the teeter game that uses the accelerometer. its pretty addictive. i wouldnt take one over my curve though i made that mistake once before. but to each his own. im sure if you posted this on a winmo forum they would be trying to sell you on the omnia. best way to decide is play with both devices and decide which one "you" like the best. no one has to live with it but you.
    09-29-08 11:02 AM
    I've owned over 10 WM phones (lastly the HTC Wing, Dash and Shadow) and I have to say that the BB's OS is far above the WM OS. The ONLY advantage of the WM OS is the choices of 3rd party software. But, BB is catching up!

Also, the closing programs issue with WM phones has been an issue that goes "way back" to the famous HP days in the 90's. Since then, the WM phones provides free software that actually closes the programs with the "X". Don't understand why Bill and the Boys didn't fix this with WM6.
    09-29-08 11:15 AM
    W Drake, my strong advice to you is, if you have the choice, DO NOT go with any Windows Mobile device!! I am not some anti-Microsoft nut, in fact unlike most techno-savvy people I'm very partial to Windows/Office on my desktop. But a year ago I switched jobs and received from my new company a Motorola Q. Absolutely terrible!! And I'd say that Wondows Mobile is at least half the problem. Seriously, I'd heard plenty of stories that WinMo sucked, but I always just figured hey, there are tons of Microsoft haters out there, and if the desktop version's good, surely the simpler mobile version is at least perfectly acceptable. Wrong! It's perfectly awful. Do yourself a favor and at the very least, get your hands on a Windows Mobile device for a minimum of a full day or two, and give it a good working through. Believe me, you will not want a WinMo device after that.
    Cheers.
    09-29-08 11:35 AM
    What he said ^^.

WinMo is really nasty, and I am a big MS fan for desktop software. BB for on the go productivity imo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 11:52 AM
    What's your point? 6.1 allows for the user to customize how they want the X button to function. Click and hold for full close of app or click for full close of app. 6.0 didn't have this and required to run Memory Mananger to close the apps truly.
    My point was simple: it's Windows.

I'm not sayong it's crap, but it still suffers many of the weaknesses that Windows is known for. 6.1 seems like big improvement. I was messing around with a friend's Blackjack II, it was a smooth operator. But don't you know she has that thing running a ton of apps and didn't know it...I must have escaped through 7 or 8 levels...

I've yet to encounter that amount of "clutter" with a BB OS environment...probably means I'm not doing it right, right? ;-P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 12:36 PM
    But don't you know she has that thing running a ton of apps and didn't know it...I must have escaped through 7 or 8 levels...
    No more different then people leaving stuff open on a BB because they hit END instead of Menu/Close. I Menu/Close everything when I get done with it or back out with ESC if that closes it down properly. Most people don't do this. How many times have you ever picked up a friend's BB and go to their contacts only to find that it's deep within a contact's info screen rather then at the top layer of the list. How about the Options Menu. I get people all the time when I ask them to go into Options and Advanced and they're like... I don't have Advanced, it just brings up a Status screen or GPS or whatever else they left it on and hit END the last time they used it. Same thing man. Also, keep in mind that WinMo Standard (which is what the Blackjack runs) is the Smartphone version so it's interface sucks because it's not touchscreen capable and the launching and closing of apps really blows. Professional version which runs or better phones such as the ones from HTC have better feel to the interface. There's a lot of folks out there who just don't get that, but whatever.
    09-29-08 01:51 PM
    Am I the only person who finds the touch-flo interface on the HTC really annoying? Just seeing videos of it makes me want to grab the phone and throw it. It is very slow, slower than the iPhone's interface. With a Blackberry, everything is quick, you press the button, and you're there. The touch-flo crap takes forever to do something. Anyone else agree?
    Just wanted to let you know that the video performance on HTC devices is not a limitation of Windows or whatever OS you run on them. It's due to a "video driver" issue that HTC has yet to address. The phones are built with badass chipsets and procs in them, but they suffer from poor video performance because of a legal huha that HTC had. Because of that, the OS must use legacy drivers for the display which makes performance suffer big time. I'm not making excuses, but I am telling you that facts behind the scenes which they don't tell you in stores or videos. Basically anything after the PPC6700 series of phones from HTC has this issue. Hopes were that they would have reimplemented proper acceleration once the Dimond and Touch HD phones come out. We'll see how that goes.
    09-29-08 01:56 PM
    Windows Mobile...LOL..that was actually the 3rd reason why I was being pulled toward the Omnia.

I've seen other WinMo phones that are not touch screen and they do suck. There is just too much going on.

The main reason I was liking WinMo is the availablity of more applications though.

So only time will tell.
    09-29-08 03:08 PM
    Win Mo doesn't have brickbreaker. Enough said.
    09-29-08 03:13 PM
    Ok...I became hooked on CB since finding out about the storm months ago.

Since then, I've been actively keeping up-to-date with the latest status and preparing myself to be one of the first to get the Storm.

THEN...just the other day, I came across a comparison of touch screens, that included the Samsung Omnia. WOW...that's a nice phone.

So when you compare the specs of the Storm with the Omnia...it's a pretty hard choice...well for an "independent" you know...

So I need help getting back on the BB side.

Things about the Omnia that as pulling me? 5 Megapx Cam, Radio...there was one more thing but I can't recall at the moment.

phonearena.com/htmls/compare_advresults.php?phones%5B0%5D=2965&phones%5 B1%5D=3128&area=1
    just wait for a HTC Touch HD and put android on it. best of both worlds.
    www. phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-Touch-HD-phone-p_3152
    09-29-08 03:22 PM
    the omnia looks like hot garbage. windows mobile blows *** in my opinion. i have a windows mobile phone right now until the storm comes out and it pisses me off just lookin at it!
    09-29-08 05:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD