I had this problem a couple times before but it happens way more frequently since the update to 5.0

I've searched the forums and found a couple others with this problem, but no one seemed to know what the issue is.

Sometimes when I plug in the charger, the phone will not charge. The phone will go into bedside mode (with the clock displayed) and the little battery icon in the corner will have the little yellow lightning bolt in it. Then... nothing. It doesn't charge and sometimes seems like it DRAINS the battery.

Then battery will completely drain and auto power-off. When I plug the phone back in the screen goes all white with a large battery icon in the center of the screen with a blue lightning bolt through it. According to what I have been reading here, some think it is a faulty battery and some think it is a faulty USB port.

Has anyone experienced this problem and/or know how to fix it? Do I need a whole new phone or just a new battery?

Thanks in advance.
    01-20-10 06:26 AM
    Try a new battery first... Thats pretty cheap and versitile as well, even if it ends up being something else having another battery to fall back on is pretty sweet. If it still does it you know its the USB port, which isn't so easily fixed.
    01-20-10 06:55 AM
    i had this problem on my last storm. verizon replaced it bc it wouldnt hold or even take a charge most of the time. i got tired of dealing and worrying about constantly checking to see if it was charging.
    01-20-10 07:18 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try leaving the battery itself out of the phone for a while and then recharge the thing. Hopefully it will fix it. If not, I think I am just going to take it in to a verizon store today after work.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    01-20-10 10:39 AM
    It's now fixed. From what the guy at the verizon store said, the white screen with the battery with the blue lightning bolt is the new 5.0 charging screen that displays when the phone is turned off. My battery is over a year old (I still have the launch storm) and the battery was not taking a charge. I replaced the battery and everything works fine now!
    01-21-10 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD