Let me preface by stating that like most of you, I've been anticipating the release of the Storm for QUITE some time now!

I finally made it out to a VZW store at the local mall (I'm assuming the store located in the suburb that I live in wouldn't have one) and walked right up to one of two that were on display, and started drooling!

The presentation of this device is absolutely stunning, just like the press release photos, this thing is gorgeous!

However, I started to immediately become annoyed, frusturated, and actually upset. The Storm does not perform as I envisioned it would. I actually feel let down and dissapointed. Like some of the reviews I read last night stated, it feels cheap. I heard the people next to me gawking about how the screen "depresses" and how "cool" that is. Granted it is very cool, and the technology behind it is definately a first for mobile phones...but I am not at all impressed. It just feels cheap! And along with others who've said this already, I would fear that this cheap feeling would only get worse with time. The screen moves around in all directions slightly while depressing, and the one next to me is actually squaking already as it is depressed. This is rather upsetting to me. I pictured a much crisper, cleaner and fine tuned screen that didn't feel so darn cheap when using.

Maybe it was due to the fact that it was a demo, and has been banged on all day by clueless *****...maybe not. My other gripe is scrolling. Slow. Very slow, compared to other smart phones. Even my 8830 scrolls faster on screen using the trackball in gmail and on the web. I was not impressed with the browser and lack of functionality either. The accelorometer does not perform as well as I would have envisioned, and clearly has some bugs to be worked out.

My biggest gripe is the keyboard. Granted, I am not accustomed to the new device...I am making many errors, and am having a hard time typing out this post as we speak. I have been here typing for about 10 min now. Even with the new technology behind this keyboard (which is supposed to be the bread and butter of the phone) I am making mistakes and the phone is constantly playing catch up as I am typing rather fast. The whole os just seems to LAG!!

I honestly wish that RIM would have spent some more time with this, before its release. Some are speculating that VZW wanted to push it out before the holidays, which by the looks of things, certainly makes sense. To me this is very dissapointing, and I guess after using the iPhone I have expected the best out of this device and maybe have to lower my standards. I hate to say that because I am a loyal RIM fan, and always will be a CB addict, but I am very, very dissapointed with the Storm...to say the least.

I know that there are plenty of Storm posts and reviews circulationg, but I felt the need to put out my 2cents to those still wondering.

Anyway, going to let the drooling crowd of addicts behind me take a peek at this thing. Me and my 8830 are goin' home!

Michael

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 08:06 PM
    Welcome.......long post must like it !
    11-21-08 08:21 PM
    Welcome.......long post must like it !
    ummm... did you read his post?
    11-21-08 08:28 PM
    i got to use it today for a while also and honestly i was dissapointed, i'm getting the bold instead now
    11-21-08 08:31 PM
    I honestly wish that RIM would have spent some more time with this, before its release.
    It's funny you say that. Most people were complaining that Verizon was taking too long, and they didn't care if it was released with bugs or not. But now that it's actually released with the bugs, it's a different story.
    11-21-08 08:37 PM
    Will verizon ever get the Bold?
    11-21-08 08:39 PM
    It's funny you say that. Most people were complaining that Verizon was taking too long, and they didn't care if it was released with bugs or not. But now that it's actually released with the bugs, it's a different story.
    Yep. Some people just want a reason to complain.
    11-21-08 08:41 PM
    how long did it take you to type all that up? wow, seems like it's not so bad.
    11-21-08 08:42 PM
    I'm sick of hearing people complain. ANY DEVICE ON ITS RELEASE DATE IS GOING TO LAG!!! Too bad if you can't type. Sorry, but it takes time to get use to it. 2 months from now, come back and see if you're complaining.

That's EXACTLY what you get for buying a phone on its release date.

11-21-08 08:52 PM
    I can't believe you typed that in a store. Ha. I love mine. I held on to my LG 8700 as soon as I heard about a touchscreen blackberry (which was rumored to be the 9000 over a year ago)
    This being my first berry, I couldn't be happier. The quirks aren't a big deal and I still think the storm is a billion times more user-friendly than the WinMo phones I've owned.

I'm going against the grain and saying I love this phone. The size, shape, and feel is perfect if you ask me.

11-21-08 08:55 PM
    If you really typed that all on the Storm, then apparently the touch screen is doing its job, even if you feel it is cheap.

I dont think it feels cheap. What is a touch screen that depresses supposed to feel like? Cant have it too hard to press, not too soft... this seems to have enough tension.
    11-21-08 08:59 PM
    Let me preface by stating that like most of you, I've been anticipating the release of the Storm for QUITE some time now!

I finally made it out to a VZW store at the local mall (I'm assuming the store located in the suburb that I live in wouldn't have one) and walked right up to one of two that were on display, and started drooling!

The presentation of this device is absolutely stunning, just like the press release photos, this thing is gorgeous!

However, I started to immediately become annoyed, frusturated, and actually upset. The Storm does not perform as I envisioned it would. I actually feel let down and dissapointed. Like some of the reviews I read last night stated, it feels cheap. I heard the people next to me gawking about how the screen "depresses" and how "cool" that is. Granted it is very cool, and the technology behind it is definately a first for mobile phones...but I am not at all impressed. It just feels cheap! And along with others who've said this already, I would fear that this cheap feeling would only get worse with time. The screen moves around in all directions slightly while depressing, and the one next to me is actually squaking already as it is depressed. This is rather upsetting to me. I pictured a much crisper, cleaner and fine tuned screen that didn't feel so darn cheap when using.

Maybe it was due to the fact that it was a demo, and has been banged on all day by clueless *****...maybe not. My other gripe is scrolling. Slow. Very slow, compared to other smart phones. Even my 8830 scrolls faster on screen using the trackball in gmail and on the web. I was not impressed with the browser and lack of functionality either. The accelorometer does not perform as well as I would have envisioned, and clearly has some bugs to be worked out.

My biggest gripe is the keyboard. Granted, I am not accustomed to the new device...I am making many errors, and am having a hard time typing out this post as we speak. I have been here typing for about 10 min now. Even with the new technology behind this keyboard (which is supposed to be the bread and butter of the phone) I am making mistakes and the phone is constantly playing catch up as I am typing rather fast. The whole os just seems to LAG!!

I honestly wish that RIM would have spent some more time with this, before its release. Some are speculating that VZW wanted to push it out before the holidays, which by the looks of things, certainly makes sense. To me this is very dissapointing, and I guess after using the iPhone I have expected the best out of this device and maybe have to lower my standards. I hate to say that because I am a loyal RIM fan, and always will be a CB addict, but I am very, very dissapointed with the Storm...to say the least.

I know that there are plenty of Storm posts and reviews circulationg, but I felt the need to put out my 2cents to those still wondering.

Anyway, going to let the drooling crowd of addicts behind me take a peek at this thing. Me and my 8830 are goin' home!

Michael

I totally agree..
    The thing that bothers me the most is the slowness/response time when you press the keys...but then again, this is my/our 1st day using this thing..
    Also I read somewhere that it seems like this is a old PC with Windows Vista Ultimate on it and I agree..
    This thing bogs down alot!

I am also one of the people who is not as "wow'd" as I thought I would be but then again, I just had a BOLD..
    Last edited by Reality; 11-21-08 at 09:05 PM.
    11-21-08 09:02 PM
    It actually took about 30 min. Since I was not used to the keyboard, I mad a ton of typos, and the OS was super slow and lagging (probably since it was a demo that had been beaten to all **** all day long). I found that most of the time if I started typing fast, as I do on my 8830, it was lag dramatically and then there would be typos. Even though my fingers would touch the correct letters. I also found that when typing rather fast, because the screen is depressing, the letter that youve selected could accidentally slip from the correct letter, to something above, below, or to the sides. When you are typing fast, since this is not a physical keyboard, you do not notice the mistale - and the OS cannot seem to keep up.

I was also having an issue with the phone going back to the clock screensaver, or whatever it was. I assume it was a screensaver, or something of the sort. I read about another user having this issue. Am not sure if this is just how VZW has the phones set up, if I was pressing a button or doing something myself that enabled the clock to come up, or what....but it was EXTREMELY annoying!

All in all, when the phone is revamped and V2 is rolled out, and unlocked, I will more than likely be getting one! Like I said, excellent idea, but with almost EVERY first gen product, bad execution.

These huge companies REALLY need to roll out the phones to CB users/abusers like us for feedback. Give the phones to everyday people, who will encounter real world scenarios. Give em to the power users like us! Find out what these people love and hate. Get their feedback, and make improvements BEFORE rolling out in the wild. Rather than simply release what they have now out into the wild all at once. Obviously the small amount of people testing/reviewing products like this is simply not enough! Sure it would be costly, but it would certainly make sense! For whatever reason though, with major corporations...things that simply "make sense" are never taken into consideration! Errr...lol

With that said, I cant wait to see what they do with Rev 2!!! OR what RIM has in store for the future even...we can only ponder!

how long did it take you to type all that up? wow, seems like it's not so bad.
    11-21-08 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD