The CNN.cn website video just shows taking apart the phone, it does not show what's involved in switching the connected bits from the old chrome bezel to the new one (or even just a clear image of what's involved before I have to take apart my phone). I want to see whether this is something I can stomach doing, but after searching here and on Google all I have found is that same CNN.cn video that doesn't show chrome bezel replacement specifically. Any insight here? I find it hard to believe no one has done the process and taken pics along the way but I haven't been able to track any such thing down. Thanks!
    02-25-09 10:54 AM
    Been wondering this myself, ive been looking to get the Black instead of the Chrome. Would love to know if anyone can give some insight. Also no one includes the camera piece. Kinda weird.
    02-25-09 11:07 AM
    I bought one and tried taking my phone apart. It is almost impossible removing the earpiece ribbon cable without tearing it. there are a lot of ribbon cables that have to be removed and the chances of tearing any of them is very high. I gave up and put my phone back together without finishing the job.
    02-25-09 11:10 AM
    Yeah, it seems strange that there aren't more videos about the particular parts with as addicted as we all are!

cctrujil, thanks for the insight. That's what I was afraid of. I am vain when it comes to my phone but since I use a silicone skin on it I'll deal with it if it's that risky. The silicone skin slid to the side when I dropped the phone and allowed the chrome to scratch, but under normal usage it covers the damage. Sad, though, because the chrome was good looking. Not worth it if the chances of making it non-functional are so high.
    02-25-09 11:40 AM
    If CNN sold a loaded midplate that would nice, no parts to move!
    02-25-09 11:46 AM
    Yeah I'd definitely be willing to pay more if they sold a piece that required less moving of bits and pieces between the two.
    02-25-09 11:56 AM
    I bought one and tried taking my phone apart. It is almost impossible removing the earpiece ribbon cable without tearing it. there are a lot of ribbon cables that have to be removed and the chances of tearing any of them is very high. I gave up and put my phone back together without finishing the job.
    I did the same. Took it all apart, said "holy isht" and put it back together the way it was.

You would think that the trim Bezel would be an easy part to replace, but in reality it's actually the most difficult part of the phone. There are a number of tiny pieces attached to it, cables, LED lens, tiny circuit boards, etc. It's not only the trim, but internally it's the main backbone of the phone. It's not so much that it would be hard to put these small parts on the new trim piece so much as I don't know how you would get them off the old trim piece without breaking them. I think you'd need to buy all the small parts along with the trim rather than trying to transfer them.
    02-25-09 01:52 PM
    Wow, that's no good. I know one person on here said they did it successfully and it wasn't as hard as it looks but that doesn't seem to be the case for others.
    02-25-09 01:55 PM
    Wow, that's no good. I know one person on here said they did it successfully and it wasn't as hard as it looks but that doesn't seem to be the case for others.
    Ive torn phones apart before without issues. I changed the midplate on my Curve easily, but this, I don't know about.
    02-25-09 02:09 PM
    Sounds like they place the bezel on the assembly line and build a phone around it.
    02-25-09 03:45 PM
    I too did this, immediately put my phone back together, and then the lock button/silence button on top stopped working. I'm on phone #2 now
    02-25-09 03:59 PM
    Well this is all depressing. My poor gouged Storm. lol. If anyone else has input that would be great too.
    02-28-09 03:35 PM
    moral of the story, take good care of your phone and dont take it apart.
    02-28-09 06:57 PM
    Yeah, yeah. I do take good care of my phones. Accidents happen. I've had many, many phones and this is the first time I've ever had significant cosmetic damage.
    02-28-09 07:14 PM
    Same here..... My phone is still in mint condition except for the bezel. That fake chrome paint rubs off with even moderate use. The cnn video shown how to get the bezel off but that was the easy part.

I already have the replacement black bezel an I know how beautiful this phone will look with it... So it is all the more frustrating.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 12:12 PM
    So has any one had a successful attempt at this?

Also - is the black bezel front that much more scratch resistant?
    06-04-09 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD