I just got my Storm yesterday (12/8...ordered on 11/28 from Verizon store) and I love it! I'm coming from a Samsung i730 running Windows Mobile Pocket PC 2003. The Storm's touch screen is great, and while I've never owned an iPhone, my best friend has one and I think this smokes it from all perspectives. The browser is fantastic, the email is amazing and the screen is incredible. I know that most of you BB users are familiar with all the wonderful aspects of your own BB world, so I guess I'm writing this more for folks who play in other PDA worlds, and are considering a move to BlackBerry. It's worth it. There is nothing I can complain about except the fact that I had to upgrade to a newer version of Outlook to get everything to sync to the phone. I was on Outlook 2000 and the syncing software (DesktopManager) only syncs to Outlook 2002 or newer. I'm certainly no expert...I'll have plenty of questions to come...but I've got it all running. For all of you current BB users, I think the touchscreen keyboard is VERY easy to use and fast for typing, once you've spent about half of a day playing with it. I can understand some having initial issues, as my own Samsung had a physical keyboard, like the other BB models do. But good grief...just give it some time and effort. Embrace the change...it's for the better. For anyone that reads all of the negative post, keep in mind, most people come here because it's where you can find a collaboration of like minds that can help resolve issues your not familiar with. The boneheads at the store or in tech support sure aren't going to be much help (the exceptions to this statement, please forgive this generalization). My guess is that most people have little to no trouble with their Storm so they don't have time to register, log in, and say...This phone is great!

To all the old time BBer's, be patient with us new guys/gals. I think most of us TRY to search for resolutions to our issues/questions, but sometimes we just don't have an hour or more to pour through hundreds of post when we can't find what we're looking for in a timely manor. Don't forget...at some point in time, you had your first BlackBerry too.

Grey
    Last edited by grey; 12-09-08 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Sorry for the duplicate post...Internet trouble
    12-09-08 07:43 PM
    hey nice insite from someone who has never really used a BB before.

Don't get discouraged if you run into issues.. The BB os can be overwhelming at times if your used to other things.. after a bit of time you will feel right at home.

Feel free to ask. There is some people on here who may complain but usually there is also a few more that are more then willing to help..

I hope you enjoy this will more then likely be one of your best resources.
    12-09-08 07:48 PM
    Same thread title as the one posted by Grey... lol

ok, same think I said in Grey's thread about the same thing...

I love this phone as well!

It BLOWS my old Voyager away like crazy, in EVERY aspect!

plus, its better than the BB Curves that I've played with(a lot of my friends have them). it just looks sleeker and the interface is much nicer and "cooler"

I really like this phone as well, so problems, but nothing that won't be fixed in further updates!
    12-09-08 07:49 PM
    Same thread title as the one posted by Grey... lol

ok, same think I said in Grey's thread about the same thing...

I love this phone as well!

It BLOWS my old Voyager away like crazy, in EVERY aspect!

plus, its better than the BB Curves that I've played with(a lot of my friends have them). it just looks sleeker and the interface is much nicer and "cooler"

I really like this phone as well, so problems, but nothing that won't be fixed in further updates!

Glad to hear from a former voyager owner. As a former Mod on a LG-voyager forum, I can testify that it's a fine device in its own right. But IMO, BB has given us not only a multi-media powerhouse, and the equal of most any MM device out there, but also the thing that's made this company legendary, a device that'll go to work with you.
    12-09-08 08:13 PM
    Yeah...I was having connectivity issues and accidentally double posted. Sorry about that. Now I'm the bonehead. Maybe a moderator could delete one of them.

Grey
    12-09-08 08:14 PM
    Ok...ready to love it more? Be sure and get a Torx6 wrench and loosen the screen about 3/4 turn on both screws, upgrade to .75 or .76 (I don't see much of a difference really) and delete VZnav and visual voicemail...holy **** it will be everything you ever wanted
    12-09-08 08:16 PM
    I just got my Storm yesterday (12/8...ordered on 11/28 from Verizon store) and I love it! I'm coming from a Samsung i730 running Windows Mobile Pocket PC 2003. The Storm's touch screen is great, and while I've never owned an iPhone, my best friend has one and I think this smokes it from all perspectives. The browser is fantastic, the email is amazing and the screen is incredible. I know that most of you BB users are familiar with all the wonderful aspects of your own BB world, so I guess I'm writing this more for folks who play in other PDA worlds, and are considering a move to BlackBerry. It's worth it. There is nothing I can complain about except the fact that I had to upgrade to a newer version of Outlook to get everything to sync to the phone. I was on Outlook 2000 and the syncing software (DesktopManager) only syncs to Outlook 2002 or newer. I'm certainly no expert...I'll have plenty of questions to come...but I've got it all running. For all of you current BB users, I think the touchscreen keyboard is VERY easy to use and fast for typing, once you've spent about half of a day playing with it. I can understand some having initial issues, as my own Samsung had a physical keyboard, like the other BB models do. But good grief...just give it some time and effort. Embrace the change...it's for the better. For anyone that reads all of the negative post, keep in mind, most people come here because it's where you can find a collaboration of like minds that can help resolve issues your not familiar with. The boneheads at the store or in tech support sure aren't going to be much help (the exceptions to this statement, please forgive this generalization). My guess is that most people have little to no trouble with their Storm so they don't have time to register, log in, and say...This phone is great!

To all the old time BBer's, be patient with us new guys/gals. I think most of us TRY to search for resolutions to our issues/questions, but sometimes we just don't have an hour or more to pour through hundreds of post when we can't find what we're looking for in a timely manor. Don't forget...at some point in time, you had your first BlackBerry too.

Grey
    hah I came from a Sammy i730 as well. I had TONS of issues with that phone but still loved the vertical keyboard.
    12-09-08 08:17 PM
    For anyone that reads all of the negative posts, keep in mind, most people come here because it's where you can find a collaboration of like minds that can help resolve issues your not familiar with. The boneheads at the store or in tech support sure aren't going to be much help
    Well said, well said

I think most of the negative posts are either people who got bad phones(it is a brand new product and release) or I phoners and BB haters. I am a Macintosh guy from way back, and when the I phone came out I had to have it so bad I went straight to the apple store and bought one. But due to the crap-*** 5 year AT&T exclusivity, and my current contract and satisfaction with verizon, I took it back. I have been waiting for a true equal for a long time, seeing the voyager and the dare, and some other carriers phones, but none up to par. this phone is it. thanks BB
    12-09-08 08:20 PM
    Finally got my phone tonight. I ordered it on the 25th and it arrived tonight... what the h e double hockey sticks is anyones problem with this phone? anytime i get a new piece of hardware or software I always immediately upgrade to the last builds. i did so and deleted vznavigator (i want to try out visual vociemail first) but it performs admirably for being a touchscreen device.

I am coming from a bb 8830 we verizon. i was really kinda afraid of being disappointed with this phone. i have been reading this site for several yeas but never really posted. I followed the launch and said to myself aww what the heck. I tried it out in teh store and wasnt really feeling it. Still i waited... worse to worse it would be 158 bucks before rebate for me. With 30 days to try it out... who cares...

tonight i opened the box immediately upgraded the firmware activated and voila it worked. the keys on teh virtual keyboard are bigger than on the 8830... i misspell very few words... i havent used it enough to determine whether a torx "upgrade" would be necessary. teh screen works fine as is...

I LOVE THIS PHREAKIN PHONE and I just got it and didnt expect it. What were folks complaining about again? ok time to install a couple apps. The only thing i would change is add a trackball for easi(er) text insertion. I hate deleting text to fix typos! Great job VZ and RIM.
    12-09-08 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD