I have just confirmed what I was afraid of. The screen click fix that has been posted all over the place (i.e., paper on top of the battery), just made my click-screen about 5x better.

I never bothered to do the fix for two reasons: 1) My screen worked just fine (all corners too; just that "a" in landscape was a little harder); and 2) I doubted that the paper trick could work.

Well, I cut up a business card (which happens to be the exact width of the battery). I used two business cards and a single sheet of paper for just the right amount of thickness for effectiveness, without bulging the battery door.

IT MAKES A WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE. I can hardly even express why. But, I am literally typing 3 times faster. And it feels much more natural. Accuracy is up too.

I think the primary change for me is that the screen clicking distance has been reduced. So, my biggest problem, which was that I would be pressing one key (i.e. "a") while the screen was still depressed from the prior (i.e., "p"); well, that problem is completely gone. It literally feels like I'm typing on a regular qwerty keyboard.

Did I just have a bad screen to begin with? Or did my screen go from good to great?

I wonder because if I can exchange this for a screen that is great by default, I'd prefer to do that, rather than have a jimmy-rigged phone.
    Last edited by liquidsense; 11-28-08 at 09:54 AM.
    11-27-08 08:00 PM
    Did you put all 3 stack in? On top or below of the battery?
    11-27-08 08:01 PM
    yea, the edges on my screen arent that great but the rest of the screen is perfect. I guess Im gonna hafta try that trick. So you used a business card? You stacked 3 of them to make it thicker? Or did you just use one business card? Im confused as to how thick I need to make it for it to be effective
    11-27-08 08:03 PM
    I'm in the same boat. My screen wasn't too bad, but the fix made it much better. I didn't put nearly as much thickness as you did; I used four post-it notes.

Sounds like your screen went from good to great.

Just be careful not to cover up the metal contacts (5 circular nubs, plus the rectangular nubs), as I'm guessing those are there for grounding the back cover.
    11-27-08 08:04 PM
    I have a single one in right now but I am also interested in hearing the answer...and yes, even if the click is working on your phone it makes it about 5 times more effective.
    11-27-08 08:04 PM
    I have just confirmed what I was afraid of. The screen click fix that has been posted all over the place (i.e., paper on top of the battery), just made my click-screen about 5x better.

I never bothered to do the fix for two reasons: 1) My screen worked just fine (all corners too; just that "a" in landscape was a little harder); and 2) I doubted that the paper trick could work.

Well, I cut a business card (which is the exact width of the battery, so that I had three stacks.

IT MAKES A WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE. I can barely even express why. I am literally typing 3 times faster. And it feels much more natural. Accuracy is up too.

I think the primary change for me is that the screen clicking distance has been reduced. So, my biggest problem, which was that I would be pressing one button while the screen was still depressed from the prior; well, that problem is completely gone. It literally feels like I'm typing on a regular qwerty keyboard.

Did I just have a bad screen to begin with? Or did my screen go from good to great?

I wonder because if I can exchange this for a screen that is great by default, I'd prefer to do that, rather than have a jimmy-rigged phone.
    I played with a couple other Storms when I was getting the skin put on mine and their keyboards were 1000 times better than mine out of the box, I've put .015 worth of shims on the battery and it's alot better, probably will put more under, but I didn't want to start too fat..
    The seido extended stock battery will do most of the same thing, it's just a weee bit thicker than the oem..
    11-27-08 08:05 PM
    Hmm if it worked that great, I'm gonna have to try!

3 business cards? Correct?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 08:10 PM
    Did you put all 3 stack in? On top or below of the battery?
    Actually, I used two and a sheet of paper. Here's why.

I found that three was excellent, but it made the battery cover bulge to the point where you could see through just a tad. Two business cards were good, but not nearly as good. So, I used two, with a sheet of paper between.

Size of paper: the width of the business card is exactly the width of the battery's longer side. I put it up to the battery, and cut the card so that it was the exact size of the face of the battery. And I place it on TOP of the battery.

I'm in the same boat. My screen wasn't too bad, but the fix made it much better. I didn't put nearly as much thickness as you did; I used four post-it notes.

Sounds like your screen went from good to great.

Just be careful not to cover up the metal contacts (5 circular nubs, plus the rectangular nubs), as I'm guessing those are there for grounding the back cover.
    What?! I checked, and I have no idea what nubs you are talking about. Are you referring to that strange textured disc that is on the inside of the battery cover, right over the battery?
    11-27-08 08:10 PM
    I just attempted 3 business cards thick. It's way too much. I could barely put the batter cover back, and the screen wouldn't even click.
    11-27-08 08:13 PM
    I just attempted 3 business cards thick. It's way too much. I could barely put the batter cover back, and the screen wouldn't even click.
    Based on what I'm reading, I should probably put the warning out there:

The required thickness of paper will vary based with each phone. I used two business cards and a single sheet of paper. Others may need much less. I'm really not sure.
    11-27-08 08:14 PM
    What?! I checked, and I have no idea what nubs you are talking about. Are you referring to that strange textured disc that is on the inside of the battery cover, right over the battery?
    Never mind, I misread your post. I see that you only cover the battery so you shouldn't be affected.

I put my padding over both the battery and the SIM/SD area. If you look below the SIM area, there should be 5 round metal nubs that stick up and make contact with the metallic backing of the battery plate.
    11-27-08 08:21 PM
    2 was too thick as well, but 1 seems to work perfectly. I do feel like the click is a tad faster, and my typing suddenly sped up. Is it in my head? I dunno, but I'll go with it for a while.

3 didn't work for me, but thanks, liquid, for the business card tip. Everyone can try it for themselves and see what works best.
    11-27-08 08:23 PM
    i just used one post it note folded in half 3 times...works great
    11-27-08 08:23 PM
    Kind of speaks for itself, but just in case someone wants to see:

11-27-08 08:27 PM
    Well I'm not having trouble typing at all but if this works why not try it. Where do you put the cardboard or paper?
    11-27-08 08:32 PM
    Well I'm not having trouble typing at all but if this works why not try it. Where do you put the cardboard or paper?
    dante13,

I know what you mean. That's why I never bothered to do the paper trick. I just did it for fun for *&#$'s and giggles. And I was shocked to find that it made my good screen that much better.

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't know the screen was capable of being this good. I can BLAZE through typing on it. I exaggerate not. Try if for yourself.
    11-27-08 08:36 PM
    I tried with two business cards, and it was bulging out so much the screen wouldn't even move. I put one in, and it did make the travel distance shorter and the typing was easier, but I took it all out, because the truth be told, my screen isn't that bad and leaving a business card stuck in my battery door is all jacked up when it's not even necessary for my screen to work.
    11-27-08 08:51 PM
    Hmm..I'm thinking about trying it out is there any precautions don't want to mess up anything.
    11-27-08 08:59 PM
    Okay, I tried it out again, and I'm sold. What it corrected was the unresponsiveness of some of my clicking. My screen still clicked fine before this, it was just the clicks didn't register a good percentage of the time--I just attributed it to lagginess, but it looks it was a travel distance issue. I'm getting responses about 95% of the time now.
    11-27-08 09:02 PM
    I have to say I was laughing at all you guys with this hack screen mod trip using a business card. My screen works fine.....at least that is what I thought until I tried it. I put in one business card and HOLY CRAP my screen works even better. Man this forum is great.
    11-27-08 09:05 PM
    I had cut up an old credit card which helped. I just folded a post it over 4X and stuck it on top of the credit card. It is AWESOME! I think it's best if just at the point where it is a little hard to clamp the cover back on. Glad it's metal!
    11-27-08 09:06 PM
    I do feel like the click is a tad faster, and my typing suddenly sped up. Is it in my head? I dunno, but I'll go with it for a while.
    I'm saying the same thing... I had no issues before (or so I thought)... now... I just don't know what to say...
    11-27-08 09:16 PM
    Just to make sure this wasn't a Placebo effect I had my wife type out a text on my Storm and then without her knowing I added the card and let her use it again and she even said there was a nice difference. I guess the card will stay there.
    11-27-08 09:17 PM
    paper on top of a battery that does get a little hot at times concerns me. possible fire hazard?
    11-27-08 09:19 PM
    I have not yet received my storm, but doesnt the fact that you have to rig the phone to get it to work properly worry you guys? I am real hesitant to even try it.
    11-27-08 09:21 PM
104 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD