Well as VZW users, as a lot of us in this section are, most of us are pretty familiar with the GPS being locked down. There was a rumore a while back that the "Thunder" would come with the GPS unlocked.

Since they seem to once again be pushing the whole VZNavigator program (Mike's video, then the picture of it shows the icon for it), it seems to be that they are going to be sticking with the same old tune and keeping the GPS locked. Is that the case? Has anyone heard anything about the GPS at all with the now named "Storm"??

Locked or Unlocked? Assumptions? Rumors? Leaks? Anything?
    09-18-08 03:56 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/qua...19/#post734361

Please use the search function before starting a thread next time, BoneHead.
    Last edited by raiderwolf; 09-18-08 at 04:06 PM.
    09-18-08 04:02 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/qua...19/#post734361

Please use the search function before starting a thread next time, BoneHead.

lay off the meanie kool-aid a bit, eh raiderwolf? you're always soo fast to go after somebody.

sometime the search isnt as great as you'd expect, and if he was just browsing the threads, he may not have seen the gps post in the gobi thread.

BoneHead--

there have been a few reports from a few places that native GPS will be unlocked, and only aGPS (cell tower assisted GPS) will be locked to VZ navigator, but there has been nothing official. It's highly possible that it wont be confirmed until the device is in people's hands.
    09-18-08 04:34 PM
    BoneHead--
    there have been a few reports from a few places that native GPS will be unlocked, and only aGPS (cell tower assisted GPS) will be locked to VZ navigator, but there has been nothing official. It's highly possible that it wont be confirmed until the device is in people's hands.
    Here's an interesting article that talks about aGPS and GPS
    GPS vs. aGPS: A Quick Tutorial - WMExperts
    09-19-08 02:50 PM
    Hi friend,
    I can't face this problem but i heard about this from my friend and also i read from the tomtom.com.When i search to get information about gps system i just read this problem.
    09-22-08 02:04 PM
    Hi friend,
    I can't face this problem but i heard about this from my friend and also i read from the tomtom.com.When i search to get information about gps system i just read this problem.

what are you talking about? we'd like to help, but your phrasing is not correct, making it difficult to understand your problem
    09-22-08 02:11 PM
    lol I'm sorry I don't have any input here cuz Sprint Rules :P. But I can't help to lol at ur comments. Very amusing and its funny the way the first response used the name BoneHead after. I really thought u were calling names until I realized that was the actual name of the original post. lmao here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 02:42 PM
    lol I'm sorry I don't have any input here cuz Sprint Rules :P.

Just a tit bit of info. Sprint loses more customers than any other carrier on a quarterly basis. Sprint has already seperated itself from its somewhat recently aquired nextel analysts speculate this was done to prevent a total **** storm in the event either went under and also to make it more difficult for a hostile take over.
    In conclusion, sprint does not rule they flat out suck gorilla balls. Unless of course your idea of "this rules" is a cruise liner in the middle of the ocean with a giant hole in the hull, like say the titantic, in that case you're in paradise.

09-22-08 03:28 PM
    Just a tit bit of info. Sprint loses more customers than any other carrier on a quarterly basis. Sprint has already seperated itself from its somewhat recently aquired nextel analysts speculate this was done to prevent a total **** storm in the event either went under and also to make it more difficult for a hostile take over.
    In conclusion, sprint does not rule they flat out suck gorilla balls. Unless of course your idea of "this rules" is a cruise liner in the middle of the ocean with a giant hole in the hull, like say the titantic, in that case you're in paradise.

I really don't give a shyt about wat carrier looses more custees on a quarterly basis. I could care less, striaght up like that. All I know is I got an excellent plan that works for me and my svc in NYC is superb. That's all I care about and plus I don't have to pay for this, that and the third. So keep ur sentiments about Sprint to urself

09-22-08 05:34 PM
    Verizon, the carrier for those who who use proper english! TM

Sprint, for those who can't afford the "yo" in "yourself"! TM
    lmao.. that was a pretty lame one dude

09-22-08 06:02 PM
    If you're in nyc don't be shocked you're just using vzw towers that sprint rents. In theory you're throwing water on your own sinking ship!

I do find your vowel swapping to avoid censorship fantastic. Shows real dedication. Almost like a captain on the doomed row boat swearing like a sailor! Don't forget your jimmy jacket when you're in port!

09-22-08 06:07 PM
    OK. you 3 people cut it out. I'm sorry if i offend any of the three of you, but it's this bickering crap in the middle of a thread that isnt even related to what you are arguing and insulting over that really annoys many of us on the form. if you want to bash on each other carriers or whatnot, this is NOT the thread to be doing it in. go argue and insult eachother in the general forum, or not at all here.

if Crackberry forums is not gonna benefit from your postings, then please use your better judgement and dont post it here.

/rant off
    09-22-08 06:34 PM
    Those are some wise words toastyz71. I mean don't get me wrong I didn't think it was going to turn into this big arguement, just wanted to big up my carrier but I guess some ppl are really passionate about their carriers.
    I luv all my crackberry addicts by the way Peace and sorry if I offended you guys

Last edited by ashantiblack; 09-22-08 at 06:56 PM.
    09-22-08 06:51 PM
    OK. you 3 people cut it out. I'm sorry if i offend any of the three of you, but it's this bickering crap in the middle of a thread that isnt even related to what you are arguing and insulting over that really annoys many of us on the form. if you want to bash on each other carriers or whatnot, this is NOT the thread to be doing it in. go argue and insult eachother in the general forum, or not at all here.

if Crackberry forums is not gonna benefit from your postings, then please use your better judgement and dont post it here.

/rant off
    Doesn't you "rant" fall under this category?

I simply stated factual information and discussed naval procedure.

09-22-08 06:51 PM
    Doesn't you "rant" fall under this category?

I simply stated factual information and discussed naval procedure.

maybe i am biased, but i in no way feel my "rant" falls in that category... i wasnt being inflamatory towards someone's post (or the subject of their post, i.e. their carrier)

To be honest, crescent, you kinda started the flame war.

is this really factual?
    sprint does not rule they flat out suck gorilla balls.
    09-22-08 10:42 PM
    Those are some wise words toastyz71. I mean don't get me wrong I didn't think it was going to turn into this big arguement, just wanted to big up my carrier but I guess some ppl are really passionate about their carriers.
    I luv all my crackberry addicts by the way Peace and sorry if I offended you guys

I'm glad to see you love your 'crack' addicts. lol

tho i do feel sorry for you and sprint, at least initially cuz your gonna miss out on teh hotness of the Storm!

(yeah i couldnt resist, forgive me)
    09-22-08 10:45 PM
    Based on the latest info released it appears that both VZNav and open GPS via at least Blackberry Maps will be available.
    09-23-08 02:05 PM
    I made sure to save that Powerpoint Slide showing the standalone GPS. Verizon is probably working now to disable it. I want proof the Storm is supposed to have it so VZW can't pull out that lame "security" excuse.
    09-23-08 05:03 PM
    I made sure to save that Powerpoint Slide showing the standalone GPS. Verizon is probably working now to disable it. I want proof the Storm is supposed to have it so VZW can't pull out that lame "security" excuse.
    lol, I see great minds think alike. I did the same thing. Of course, their lawyers would probably argue that those were internal docs and prerelease info never intended to represent production versions of the product or its services.
    09-23-08 05:10 PM
    lol, I see great minds think alike. I did the same thing. Of course, their lawyers would probably argue that those were internal docs and prerelease info never intended to represent production versions of the product or its services.
    But they weren't Civic. It clearly states the doc is only for those under RIM NDA.
    09-23-08 05:12 PM
    i like vz nav. but it doesnt work outside there main coverage area if you have address already set up fine but if you search in extended coverage doesn't work hope i can have gps 24?7 365
    09-23-08 05:49 PM
    I'm making a T-Shirt with this to wear into Verizon store on release day.

09-23-08 06:39 PM
    i would love for the standalone to work with google maps, i enjoy things when they're free.
    09-23-08 06:59 PM
    I dont know if anyone has said this yet, but do you think that verizon would market this phone as GPS capable but leave out the fact that you'd have to buy a puck?

I was JUST about to buy one for my 8830 assuming id have to use it when the storm came out but now i have to wait!
    09-24-08 05:10 PM
    I would like to think that vzw will unlock the gps but knowing them and the fact that this phone is well hyped makes me think they will keep it locked.

09-24-08 05:48 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD