So my original phone was made in canada and had the screen click issue. I got them to send me a replacement, but it came in a cardboard box. I assume this is a refurb. It says this one was made in Mexico, and it's got the new hardware PRD code. The screen click seems fine on this one, but what do I do? Do I call and complaint to them saying I paid for a new phone, I want a new phone? Or should I just go with this one.
    12-18-08 08:38 AM
    I think that u should test it out and if it works fine then there is no reason to complain.
    12-18-08 08:40 AM
    I dont get why people whine so much about refurbs. Its a friggen 14 day old phone... its not even that used if its a refurb.
    12-18-08 08:42 AM
    It just pisses me off that I paid for a NEW phone. If it's a refurb, it probably means there was an issue with it. Sure, it probably was fixed, but, it's like buying a new car but getting a car that had an engine replaced.
    12-18-08 08:46 AM
    So my original phone was made in canada and had the screen click issue. I got them to send me a replacement, but it came in a cardboard box. I assume this is a refurb. It says this one was made in Mexico, and it's got the new hardware PRD code. The screen click seems fine on this one, but what do I do? Do I call and complaint to them saying I paid for a new phone, I want a new phone? Or should I just go with this one.
    Another poster in another thread this morning made a great point about Refurb phones. If it looks new and works, what is the problem. Also remember, production phones are only sample tested, but EVERY referb is tested. But having said this, the final choice is yours and yours alone.
    12-18-08 08:46 AM
    if it doesnt have any issues i would keep it and be happy!
    12-18-08 08:52 AM
    Also that doesn't mean its a refurb.

There are threads around at the moment that indicate they have a few phones that are not in full packaging and they are just in those cardboard boxes so they can get them out to customers faster.
    12-18-08 08:54 AM
    According to Verizon, you are wrong...my replacement came in a brown box and they swore up and down it was not a refurb...and it works great!

they said if you are returning within the initial warranty date, it has to be a new device...

...and they also said any phone returned for a different model gets sent back to RIMM...hmmmm
    12-18-08 08:58 AM
    NONSENSE !!!

within 30 days you are entitled to a NEW phone...

Verizon sells reconditioned phones at a price cut...if this is the case, let them knock some $$$ off the price of the phone...
    12-18-08 09:00 AM
    But having said this, the final choice is yours and yours alone.
    Have we been watching Legends of the Hidden Temple? Direct Olmec quote aside from the "good luck" part
    12-18-08 09:01 AM
    The brown box story about getting it quicker is crap. You have the right within 30 days to demand a new phone new in the box. The brown box phones are FRU I believe that means field replacement units.

Holy Crap I just hit 1000 posts......didn't even realize it.....
    12-18-08 09:04 AM
    its not a refurb. brown box or not, its a new phone. relax.
    12-18-08 09:06 AM
    LOL. I love how some people say its a new one and others say its refurbed. Now who do I believe? It's a coin toss.
    12-18-08 09:10 AM
    doesn't matter. If this one works and your other one didn't than this one is better...keep it.
    12-18-08 09:14 AM
    I got mine... appeared to be brand new... box, film on the unit... whole 9 yards... no screen click problem... BUT, there is a big ole dent on the top... about the size of a pencil eraser! I am also having issues with voice activation locking up my phone! SO, I called Verizon... the CSSR actually implied that I dented the phone! OMG... if she only knew! Anyway, so I'm going to have to take this one back... they won't do it online because someone has to "verify" the damage.

Anyway, mini rant... I agree... anyone who has a Storm is within the 30 day worryfree guarantee so Verizon needs to be shipping out BRAND NEW Storms!
    12-18-08 09:15 AM
    My 2nd replacement was like that. I don't think so that it is a refub, but I don't care if it's, the phone works AMAZING! Clicking the screen feels so natural and uniform than my 2 previous phones. Probably it is in my head, but the phone is much more responsive too!
    12-18-08 09:16 AM
    Mine is in on the way here and will arrive tomorrow. I'll post my experience when I receive my replacement.
    12-18-08 10:32 AM
    I have a contact that works in the department for Verizon that sends out replacements. He told me they do not have any refurbs but they have been sending out used ones that have been tested, due to the amount that they had to be replaced.
    12-18-08 10:49 AM
    My coworker got his replacement yesterday and it was fully boxed brand new. Mine comes today in the brown box. Go figure.
    12-18-08 11:07 AM
    Many replacement units-like mine-seem to click so well that I feel like typing on it all day!
    12-18-08 11:09 AM
    Probably came in a brown box because you already have the original box, and why would they need to resend you the accessories. Cheaper to send if it weighs less.
    12-18-08 11:10 AM
    Probably came in a brown box because you already have the original box, and why would they need to resend you the accessories. Cheaper to send if it weighs less.

I agree, just odd that some people are getting brand new full boxed ones and others are getting the brown box. Seems a bit fishy.
    12-18-08 11:15 AM
    It depends on the person who is helping you out I think. If they just say the phone needs replacing or something not to much in depth the shipping dept. sends out just the phone. While some others state NIB and probably most likely get it in a full new box.

Im just ASSUMING (so dont quote me)...I actually put it to the test and missed my drop off date of the replacement so ill be picking it up later today after work. I stated NIB and the lady who was helping me specified it in the notes NIB so lets see what happens.
    12-18-08 11:27 AM
    I agree, just odd that some people are getting brand new full boxed ones and others are getting the brown box. Seems a bit fishy.
    I am getting a replacement and the CSR said that it will be in a brand new box, accessories and all. She did charge my account for it though. Did the OP's account get charged? Maybe that is the difference, I don't know. I don't think where the device is made has anything to do with it. The phone I have now was made in Canada and does not click on edges at all. Sucks I already put the PhantomSkinz on it! They took care of me for that too!
    12-18-08 11:43 AM
    SO you got a replacement in a brown box? Was it clearly a refurb, or was it new?
    12-18-08 11:47 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD