Anyone figure out how to download Google Maps?

I tried Google Maps but it is not giving me an option to download
    11-21-08 01:10 PM
    I generally go to www . google . com, click the more link, and then maps. I haven't had a problem with it. Be sure you're using the BlackBerry Browser, and that you have it set to emulate BlackBerry, or you may fool Google into not realizing you're on a BlackBerry.
    11-21-08 01:13 PM
    m.google.com/maps from the BB browser. GPS does NOT work.
    11-21-08 01:14 PM
    m.google.com/maps from the BB browser. GPS does NOT work.
    yes it does, tinker with your gps settings, make sure location is on.
    11-21-08 01:16 PM
    I generally go to www . google . com, click the more link, and then maps. I haven't had a problem with it. Be sure you're using the BlackBerry Browser, and that you have it set to emulate BlackBerry, or you may fool Google into not realizing you're on a BlackBerry.
    Thanks!
    11-21-08 01:21 PM
    Have you tried "http://google.com/gmm" from your bb browser?
    11-21-08 01:25 PM
    If you have the blinking blue dot on the Google Maps, it is using the cell towers, not GPS. I've not yet heard anyone getting GM to work.
    11-21-08 01:26 PM
    Are you SURE the GPS is working and not just cell tower triangulation? Is there a light blue circle around the blue dot that shows your location? If you zoom in all the way on the blue dot, does it show EXACTLY where you are with a few feet?

Based on other people in these forums and HoFo, it sounds like the Google Maps just uses the cell tower triangulation just like everyother VZW BB and every other BB w/o a GPS chip (a la my 8100 pearl on T-Mobile).

Please check and report back as I'm curious. Can you post a pic of the Google Maps screen for proof? It will help put this thread and the other 5 or 6 to rest.

11-21-08 01:27 PM
    Yea its not working with my gps either. on the lower right theres a button and whenever i click it it says gps unavialble
    11-21-08 01:41 PM
    Are you SURE the GPS is working and not just cell tower triangulation? Is there a light blue circle around the blue dot that shows your location? If you zoom in all the way on the blue dot, does it show EXACTLY where you are with a few feet?

Based on other people in these forums and HoFo, it sounds like the Google Maps just uses the cell tower triangulation just like everyother VZW BB and every other BB w/o a GPS chip (a la my 8100 pearl on T-Mobile).

Please check and report back as I'm curious. Can you post a pic of the Google Maps screen for proof? It will help put this thread and the other 5 or 6 to rest.

I stand corrected...earlier Google Maps had my dead on location, so I just assumed the GPS was working and not triangulation....It has me currently about 1000 feet from where I actually am.
    11-21-08 01:45 PM
    How do i get BB maps to show where I am?
    11-21-08 01:52 PM
    Well either Verizon locked out the GPS for other apps, or the makers of those apps still have to rewrite them so they work on the Storm.

I just looked at the new Software Development Kit for the Storm and there are API calls to get the GPS coordinates. If someone doesn't figure this out by next week, I can try to write a quick app that queries these fields to see if they report latitude and longitude data or not. If they do, then there is no reason why Google Maps or any other app shouldn't work.

Totally bummed about this...totally. BB Maps sucks on my Pearl and i'm thinking its probably not much better on the Storm. Making me wonder if I will keep it as i was looking to roll my phone/mp3 player/navigation unit into one device w/ the Storm. Guess after I get mine tomorrow, I'll give it a few weeks and go from there. *sigh*
    11-21-08 02:13 PM
    ...Be sure you're using the BlackBerry Browser, and that you have it set to emulate BlackBerry, or you may fool Google into not realizing you're on a BlackBerry.
    Where do I go to change this setting?
    11-21-08 03:18 PM
    GPS is a deal breaker for me, thats why I got a Pearl (bluetooth gps) in the first place, and I might return this one if I can get something a bit better than 1000m gps

But i will see if the phone can win me over during the week. I am satisfied with it now but typing speed will be deal maker/breaker #1, gps #2
    11-21-08 03:54 PM
    GPS is a deal breaker for me, thats why I got a Pearl (bluetooth gps) in the first place, and I might return this one if I can get something a bit better than 1000m gps

But i will see if the phone can win me over during the week. I am satisfied with it now but typing speed will be deal maker/breaker #1, gps #2
    The same bluetooth GPS puck you used with your pearl should work.

It sounds like google maps will work with the gps, they just need to write a new version knowing to talk to the gps.
    11-21-08 03:57 PM
    Where do I go to change this setting?
    In the BB Browser, Options / Browser Configuration / Emulation Mode : BlackBerry
    11-21-08 10:20 PM
    The same bluetooth GPS puck you used with your pearl should work.
    Yes, but i was hoping to get away from that. Charging my puck is a pain in the cold weather and i keep losing them if I take them out of my car each night

It sounds like google maps will work with the gps, they just need to write a new version knowing to talk to the gps.
    Agreed, this discussion is going on in earnest over here

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/gps-google-maps-98924/

Google Maps works, but not perfectly because the full GPS chip is not unlocked for anything other than BB Maps and VZ Nav but BB Maps is getting good reviews.
    11-22-08 12:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD