Before anyone gets annoyed, I am not asking why it doesn't work.

I am curious as to why google would come out with a youtube app for the storm but not renew their GMM? I am starting to think its just not going to come...
    12-22-08 04:29 PM
    While I can't claim to know everything about the inner workings of Google, from what I have read about the culture there is that most of the things like Google Maps are just kind of hobby projects for some of the engineers there. They get worked on as the developers have time/interest.

YouTube is a web property Google bought, so presumably they have some plan for making money off of it, otherwise they would have continued on with their now defunct Google Video service.

But it's also possible YouTube has just become another one of those side projects for people working at Google, and maybe the person responsible for the mobile app version got him/herself a new Storm and thus was motivated to get it up and going on the Storm quickly.. While the Google Maps Mobile developer(s) might be using a G1, so the Storm isn't as high a priority to them.

Or even more likely, it's just more work to get Google Maps Mobile working on the Storm compared to the YouTube app.
    12-22-08 04:42 PM
    I think Google will. It's only been a month since the phone came out, so hopefully in the coming months. Until then, we have bb maps.

I think they released the youtube app because the bb browser doesn't have flash, so at least we'll have youtube.
    12-22-08 04:43 PM
    I dunno, perhaps maybe because Vodafone wanted a YouTube app created for the Storm and perhaps there's two completely different departments at Google working on these two totally different applications. But I dunno, maybe I'm just completely off base here.
    12-22-08 04:47 PM
    They are still working on it. Patience my grasshopper.
    12-22-08 04:52 PM
    Hopefully they will tweak the Google Maps for the Storm, rather than just adding GPS. The buttons are rather small to use. Also zooming in should be done by clicking or double tapping.
    12-22-08 05:12 PM
    whats the problem with google maps??

Ive used it a few times quite successfully... w gps

helped me get to a party sat night
    12-22-08 06:09 PM
    The fact that it is, as yet, unable to interface with the Storm's GPS. It can do cell tower triangulation which has varying degrees of accuracy, but that's it. And yes, despite what you may think, you weren't actually using GPS. The fact that it doesn't work with the Storm's GPS (yet) has been confirmed by Google developers.
    12-22-08 06:20 PM
    whats the problem with google maps??

Ive used it a few times quite successfully... w gps

helped me get to a party sat night
    I very much doubt that you used it with GPS because you would be the first to have it working. Yes, it works but with mobile towers triangulation which is not near as precise as GPS.
    12-22-08 06:23 PM
    Where can I download google mobile app for my store phone ?

Thanks for help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 11:14 PM
    Check the OTA App thread that's stickied on this forum for a Google Maps Mobile download link.
    12-22-08 11:19 PM
    if you go to google maps forums, you will see that the mod's are responding back to the storm questions with, yes its coming. My buddys 8830 runs google maps fine with the gps to boot.
    12-22-08 11:23 PM
    if you go to google maps forums, you will see that the mod's are responding back to the storm questions with, yes its coming. My buddys 8830 runs google maps fine with the gps to boot.
    Not exactly. They said they are "working on it". They haven't promised anything.

This is the "official" statement from Google about this.

I wanted to provide a little background for people with Verizon Wireless devices who aren't able to use their device's internal GPS with Google Maps for mobile. Access to GPS data on Verizon devices is restricted to certain applications. At this time, Google Maps for mobile isn't included in that list. However, two other methods of determining your location, Cell ID and Wifi access points, can be used to pinpoint your place on the map.

I'll update this group if I have more news regarding Verizon GPS integrations with Google Maps for mobile in the future.

Basically saying the GPS is NOT unlocked, and they are waiting on Verizon. Depending on Verizon's point-of-view about it, they will do one of two things.

A. Allow Gmaps with GPS because the Storm is somewhat of an iphone competitor and they realize they are lucky that people pay for their over-priced network anyways.

B. Not allow GPS for Gmaps, because they see how successful it is with the iPhone and G1 (for free), and realize that people wont pay for VZ Nav anymore.

Knowing Verizon, they love to gouge, so im leaning towards the latter. Look how long it took for them to allow BB Maps to use GPS, and they are obviously business partners. Google and Verizon have pretty much no business relationship, and that much less of a reason to allow it.
    12-22-08 11:40 PM
    Not exactly. They said they are "working on it". They haven't promised anything.

I wanted to provide a little background for people with Verizon Wireless devices who aren't able to use their device's internal GPS with Google Maps for mobile. Access to GPS data on Verizon devices is restricted to certain applications. At this time, Google Maps for mobile isn't included in that list. However, two other methods of determining your location, Cell ID and Wifi access points, can be used to pinpoint your place on the map.

I'll update this group if I have more news regarding Verizon GPS integrations with Google Maps for mobile in the future.

Basically saying the GPS is NOT unlocked, and they are waiting on Verizon. Depending on Verizon's point-of-view about it, they will do one of two things.

A. Allow Gmaps with GPS because the Storm is somewhat of an iphone competitor and they realize they are lucky that people pay for their over-priced network anyways.

B. Not allow GPS for Gmaps, because they see how successful it is with the iPhone and G1 (for free), and realize that people wont pay for VZ Nav anymore.

Knowing Verizon, they love to gouge, so im leaning towards the latter. Look how long it took for them to allow BB Maps to use GPS, and they are obviously business partners. Google and Verizon have pretty much no business relationship, and that much less of a reason to allow it.
    Just one more quick question. Does verizon allow any of their bb phones to work with google maps and the gps, and not the dumb trianglation?
    Im curious if the curve on verizon works.
    12-22-08 11:47 PM
    Traditionally that has been true, but the Storm's GPS is unlocked, and as I understand it some recent update for the Curve and Pearl on Verizon unlocked the GPS. aGPS is still locked to VZ Navigator. I don't know about Windows Mobile devices and whether or not their GPS chips are locked, but the Storm's GPS is NOT locked as has been shown by a number of 3rd party apps being able to successfully interface with it.

I think on the whole, Verizon is slowly coming around to the "proper" way of thinking, and not crippling phones quite so much. It's not going to happen overnight, but there are signs of this process like them unlocking the GPS on older BB phones and not locking it on the Storm.

And it might be just me, but I see plenty of people complaining about how Verizon cripples phones (which is true) and they nickel and dime the crap out of you (also true), but I don't believe I have ever seen someone complain about the cellular network. Not like you see fairly regularly with AT&T, Sprint, and all the others. So, presumably Verizon is funneling a good chunk of that money into network infrastructure.
    12-23-08 12:48 AM
    Traditionally that has been true, but the Storm's GPS is unlocked, and as I understand it some recent update for the Curve and Pearl on Verizon unlocked the GPS. aGPS is still locked to VZ Navigator. I don't know about Windows Mobile devices and whether or not their GPS chips are locked, but the Storm's GPS is NOT locked as has been shown by a number of 3rd party apps being able to successfully interface with it.
    Has someone complied a list of apps that use GPS?
    12-23-08 12:55 AM
    Has someone complied a list of apps that use GPS?
    Off the top of my head I can think of:

* The camera app (geotagging)
    * BBMaps
    * Google Maps Mobile (well, it tries anyway, and hopefully will succeed one day soon)
    * Weatherbug
    * VZ Navigator
    * GPSed
    * Nav4All (I think that's the name)
    * Garmin's GPS software
    12-23-08 12:59 AM
    GPS works fine in GMM with my 9500. Always has. It kicks in a
    couple seconds after cell triangulation. My position is within 12 to 3
    meter, depending on reception. Maybe that's an 9530 specific
    issue?
    12-23-08 01:23 AM
    GPS works fine in GMM with my 9500. Always has. It kicks in a
    couple seconds after cell triangulation. My position is within 12 to 3
    meter, depending on reception. Maybe that's an 9530 specific
    issue?
    Can you post a screenshot?
    12-23-08 01:35 AM
    Google Maps works for me, but the locate me feature is way off every time!
    12-23-08 05:07 AM
    To me the positioning is pretty accurate as well. But it might be depending on the area, maybe bigger cities provide more accurate tower triangulation.

But I have another solution. Let's develop a CB (Crackberry) Maps! LOL
    12-23-08 05:24 AM
    The fricken BlackBerry has a GPS chip in it. Verizon expects me to pay 9.99 to use it, they can take their 9.99 VZW Navigator and shove it! I want free access to my damn chip!

I live within 1 hour of Chicago which is one of the largest metro areas.
    12-23-08 05:26 AM
    Yeah $10/mo for vznav is a joke. Why is vz the only carrier presumptuous enough to develop a navigation app and force it on its customers? If I were going to pay it would be garmin but I really should not have to pay.

A family member was showing me gmm on his iphone 3g and it works with flawless accuracy. And I pull gmm up on the storm and it has me in a 3 mile diameter circle.

I love "the network" but every time I turn around they have their hands in my pocket reaching for my wallet. I was under the impression that google was still developing the code for the bb gps though. Can someone confirm vz just hasn't opend the gps for gmm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cgull; 12-23-08 at 07:20 AM.
    12-23-08 06:31 AM
    Google Maps works for me, but the locate me feature is way off every time!
    That's because you're getting a cell tower triangulation, not a GPS lock.
    12-23-08 06:44 AM

What you're saying makes sense, except tons of lesser known programs like Weatherbug, Nav4All, etc. are able to utilize the GPS just fine. So it makes me think Google is just giving a canned response.
    12-23-08 07:39 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD