Curious how the screen is 'flickable' while using the Gmail app and not flickable in all other applications. From reading various posts that is something many would want. Seems as though it is do-able on the storm but not programmed in?
    05-31-09 03:33 AM
    Curious how the screen is 'flickable' while using the Gmail app and not flickable in all other applications. From reading various posts that is something many would want. Seems as though it is do-able on the storm but not programmed in?

Been wondering the same thing myself...

Strange that no one has replied to your post with any explanation at all.

Matt

--
    06-01-09 10:18 AM
    Flick scrolling is present in Gmail and in accelodex. Those are the two that i know use flick scrolling.

Its interesting how it hasn't been incorporated into the OS.

There has to be a reason why it isn't being used and i'm hoping someone will comment and give us a better explanation.
    06-01-09 10:28 AM
    it is possibly bc apple has patented flick scrolling onto the iphone's os (yes i kno dare has flick scrolling) but not patented to 3rd party apps, hence the use of flick scrolling on various 3rd party apps
    06-01-09 10:33 AM
    The google G1 has flick scrolling too.
    06-01-09 10:40 AM
    So...the Dare can do it, the G1 can do it, various 3rd-party apps seem to be able to do it - but the BlackBerry OS can't.

Interesting...

Seems a bit strange that Apple could have an exclusive patent on a concept like that in the first place.

Matt

--
    06-01-09 11:16 AM
    well google and iphone seem to work hand-and-hand...
    06-01-09 11:18 AM
    the ap news app has it too..
    06-01-09 11:19 AM
    Anyone can make any ap with flick scrolling.

As for why it isn't in the OS of the storm, RIM hasn't added it. Plain and simple
    06-01-09 11:22 AM
    Apple doesn't have a patent on flick scrolling. I don't know where people are getting this misinformation from.

And +1 to what Kinggeoff said.
    06-01-09 11:41 AM
    Screw apple!
    06-01-09 11:49 AM
    Anyone can make any ap with flick scrolling.

As for why it isn't in the OS of the storm, RIM hasn't added it. Plain and simple
    RIM is behind the times on something pertaining to the Storm? There's a shocking development...

--
    06-01-09 12:00 PM
    Flick scrolling is something you have to incorporate into a list control manual via your own algorithm. There is no "flickScroll()" function available for the built-in RIM controls such as the listbox or combobox. The scrolling mechanism that is used in RIM controls only use the standard list scrolling behavior and do not incorporate anything that mimics "inertia". So whether its a RIM app or a third party app, if you utilize the built-in RIM list controls, there will be no "flick" scrolling.

3rd party apps that do incorporate "flick" scrolling only do so because the list control for that app was written from scratch, with an inertia scrolling algorithm written into it. This is also why the "flick" scrolling behavior between these apps are slightly different from each other since the algorithm is an interpretation of "inertia" scrolling by its respective developer.

It would be nice though if RIM did incorporate an "inertia" function into the RIM list controls in the future so that developers dont have write a couple pages of code just to have a list that flick scrolls=)
    06-01-09 12:53 PM
    This is also why the "flick" scrolling behavior between these apps are slightly different from each other since the algorithm is an interpretation of "inertia" scrolling by its respective developer.
    Having the use of flick-scrolling in my contacts list and in the browser would certainly be nice.

I was playing around with a friend's iPhone last night and was quickly reminded how nice flick-scrolling is. Well...that and how much smoother that OS is in-general.

Oh well... I knew what I was getting in to when I bought the Storm and certainly wasn't about to switch to AT&T.

Matt

--
    06-01-09 01:40 PM
    poynt also does flick scrolling if my memory serves correctly. I love it in the gmail app
    06-01-09 01:44 PM
    The Palm Pre has "flick" scrolling as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD