When I read a message on BB, how can i get GMAIL to make it a read message when i open open up my gmail account from home. so they dont all appear to be new messages, and not read already?
    11-26-08 07:01 AM
    this is being discussed in a few other threads I believe. I dont think anyone has come up with anything though. Any instructions to follow on either gmail or bb.com seem to not work.
    11-26-08 07:02 AM
    ok i was just wondering and tried searching and couldn't find any fixes. maybe somebody will come up with one.
    11-26-08 07:10 AM
    You have to convert to IMAP.

Follow this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...il-imap-99071/

If you have questiosn, pm me. I went though this yesterday, took me all day to figure it out. Only problem I have now is I read the email on my PC but my phone still show's I have a new email...arg.
    11-26-08 07:46 AM
    If you read/delete on the phone, it updates on the server.

However, if you read/delete from GMail.com or Outlook, it will NOT update on the phone.
    11-26-08 07:50 AM
    If you read/delete on the phone, it updates on the server.

However, if you read/delete from GMail.com or Outlook, it will NOT update on the phone.
    So there is no setting to fix this then?
    11-26-08 07:51 AM
    You have to convert to IMAP.

Follow this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...il-imap-99071/

If you have questiosn, pm me. I went though this yesterday, took me all day to figure it out. Only problem I have now is I read the email on my PC but my phone still show's I have a new email...arg.
    My phone/BIS is set to IMAP already and I also experience this problem. Seems like having to read the same message at multiple locations defeats the purpose of IMAP...
    11-26-08 10:10 AM
    My phone/BIS is set to IMAP already and I also experience this problem. Seems like having to read the same message at multiple locations defeats the purpose of IMAP...
    yes I as well have everything set up IMAP also and it's giving me the same problems. Annoying to see the message on my phone, on gmail.com and on my Mail app on my Mac
    11-26-08 10:17 AM
    I tried the IMAP thing, and never got it to work properly.

Using the gmail mobile app is the best way to get the email synced properly. However some people seem to get a 15 minute email delay with that app, while others seem to get push email with no delays.

It is worth noting that the gmail mobile app uses more data than the blackberry email, which is why I'm waiting till I upgrade my current sad 4mb data plan before I use it again.
    11-26-08 10:35 AM
    You guys are not doing it right then.
    11-26-08 10:39 AM
    You guys are not doing it right then.
    I've followed the instructions on both sites very carefully a bunch of times. It seems to be an issue on gmails end.
    11-26-08 10:43 AM
    I'm getting my GMail off IMAP as well, and I don't seem to be having this problem at all. I set mine up on the BIS webpage insead of the phone browser.
    11-26-08 10:44 AM
    I dont know, it works fine for me. What exaclty are you having issues with?
    11-26-08 10:45 AM
    I've followed the instructions on both sites very carefully a bunch of times. It seems to be an issue on gmails end.
    Have you tried doing it off of this:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Maybe that might work.
    11-26-08 10:46 AM
    When I went to register my PIN on BIS it said it was already registered. Any ideas on this?
    11-26-08 10:51 AM
    When I went to register my PIN on BIS it said it was already registered. Any ideas on this?
    You probable already registered it. Try Customer Service, they can actually set it up for you over the phone.
    11-26-08 10:54 AM
    same thing for me
    11-26-08 10:57 AM
    You probable already registered it. Try Customer Service, they can actually set it up for you over the phone.
    That's exactly what I had to do, once I got in there I had it all setup within a few minutes.
    11-26-08 11:00 AM
    DreamSTI:

If you read, or even delete a message from GMail.com, will it subsequently make the changes on your Storm?

I've followed all the directions, and this is the only problem I'm still encountering. If a read or delete a message on my Storm, it'll make the corresponding changes to the GMail server. However, it's the other direction that is not in sync.
    11-26-08 11:04 AM
    I have been having the same Gmail-to-BB synch problems. Can't tell if it's a problem with my BB (Bold), my carrier (AT&T), or Gmail....or some combination of the 3. But rest assured, if you are using the 3 items I just mentioned, there is no way to synch what you do on your laptop/PC Gmail account with what's on your BB Gmail message folder. It's like having 2 completely separate email acounts.

I sure hope RIM/Google/AT&T resolve this soon!!
    11-26-08 11:50 AM
    DreamSTI:

If you read, or even delete a message from GMail.com, will it subsequently make the changes on your Storm?

I've followed all the directions, and this is the only problem I'm still encountering. If a read or delete a message on my Storm, it'll make the corresponding changes to the GMail server. However, it's the other direction that is not in sync.
    No, this is the only thing that doesnt work and from what I can gather it will never be that way.
    11-26-08 11:51 AM
    those directions posted previously do work, HOWEVER, MAKE SURE U GO TO MESSAGES>BB BUTTON>OPTIONS>EMAIL RECONCILATION>ON CONFLICTS>HANDHELD (OR MAILBOX) WINS.

i set up imap yesterday and now it marks everything i read on my storm as read on my gmail.

quick instructions:

delete ur email account on ur bb

go to setup>email

enter a bogus email/password and hit next

then check the radial button to set it up personally

hit next until u have to enter account info

enter "name"@gmail.com for email
    enter password
    username: enter "name"@gmail.com
    last box enter: imap.gmail.com

hit next, it'll set up everything, then do the email reconcile i said above, make sure wireless reconcile is on
    11-26-08 12:04 PM
    those directions posted previously do work, HOWEVER, MAKE SURE U GO TO MESSAGES>BB BUTTON>OPTIONS>EMAIL RECONCILATION>ON CONFLICTS>HANDHELD (OR MAILBOX) WINS.

i set up imap yesterday and now it marks everything i read on my storm as read on my gmail.

quick instructions:

delete ur email account on ur bb

go to setup>email

enter a bogus email/password and hit next

then check the radial button to set it up personally

hit next until u have to enter account info

enter "name"@gmail.com for email
    enter password
    username: enter "name"@gmail.com
    last box enter: imap.gmail.com

hit next, it'll set up everything, then do the email reconcile i said above, make sure wireless reconcile is on

The problem I'm having is that any changes on the server (via gmail.com or gmail app) isn't pushed onto the storm's built-in message app, not the other way around
    11-26-08 02:12 PM
    So there is no setting to fix this then?
    I don't think there's anything that we (BB, Gmail) users can fix. This is a system problem.

You can read a new message on your BB and it will mark it as read on gmail.com. You can delete a message on your BB, and if you set your reconciliation options correctly then the message will also be deleted on gmail.com.

However, if you read a new message on gmail.com, the message will remain marked as unread on you BB.

From various postings on gmail google groups and on the interwebs, the consensus is that this is due to the way gmail and BIS interact via IMAP-IDLE. They don't support full two-way synchronization (for read/unread/status). Don't know which entity (RIM/Google) is to blame, but two-way syncing via IMAP works with BIS/Yahoo and Gmail/outlook.
    11-26-08 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD