I don't recall which author posted the idea of turning off Global Roaming in the Mobile Network settings to conserve battery power, but wow, thanks man!

My battery has a new life-- it goes all day on about 1 segment compared to 3 or 4 it used to chew up. And, I did not change anything else like Bluetooth or display brightness.

I'm assuming the GSM radio must have been polling for networks on a frequent basis and for nothing.

If you're in the US on Verizon and want to extend your battery life, give that a try (set it to 1XEV for the Network Technology).
    12-09-08 08:10 PM
    Nice tip. I'll give it a try. Wonder if it will affect anything else?
    12-09-08 08:23 PM
    Word. I did this, turned off the GPS, and changed my backlighting settings and have only used up half by battery in a day instead of the whole battery.
    Thanks for relaying the info. I just changed mine from global to 1xev

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well, I read the same post last night and tried it also. Mine actually seemed to get worse. Lol. What gives? I know this battery should be better. I wiped and reloaded today and went to .76 and no improvement there either. Any suggestions?

12-09-08 08:57 PM
    Well, I read the same post last night and tried it also. Mine actually seemed to get worse. Lol. What gives? I know this battery should be better. I wiped and reloaded today and went to .76 and no improvement there either. Any suggestions?

Have you loaded Weather Bug? Since it updates the display icon (at some unknown interval) and uses GPS location information to fetch your forecast, it could be a power drain. I can't this for certain this is a problem, but I'm very suspicious.
    12-09-08 09:02 PM
    just set it, lets see how it holds up
    12-09-08 09:05 PM
    I did download weatherbug updates last night but it always close the program when done. I also thought that was part of the issue but after I wiped and reloaded today I have NOT installed it again. Oh well, no buggie I love the storm!

12-09-08 09:47 PM
    Mine was already set up to 1ev
    12-09-08 09:53 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I'll see if it makes a difference on my phone tomorrow.
    12-09-08 09:57 PM
    Giving this a try....my batt life has improved a good bit over the first few days, but every little bit helps. Thanks for the tip!
    12-09-08 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD